Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Land Honor Accumulator Grapple. I was hoping to make my own hay instead of buying the 3000 squares. And, hoping to be one person operation. The Accumulator didn't work so well. My ground is to rough. Once in a while I could skid all the bales in. Most of the time I spent on the ground putting bales in front of the accumulator or pulling bales out that rolled into a ball from hitting a rut or bump. I tried making the bales heavier. It helped them keep there shape better. But, not a total solution. 200 bales of second cutting took me all afternoon to get in the barn. I'm thinking of buying something in the spring to help. I would like a Kuhn Hay Accumulator, but price is out of my reach. Would a sweep work better like the Rocky Mountain Bale Sweep. Use the sweep to accumulate. I could take the guides off the grapple and use that for stacking. I'm open to any other ideas.

·
Registered
593 Posts
The sweep would give you fits just like the accumulator/grapple because it operates on the same principle. I have very rough ground here and I get along pretty good with a drag type accumulator. Mine happens to be from Rafter M out of Texas but Parrish makes one too, and maybe some others.....I don't know. It's essentially the same principle and idea. I think finding one of these would work out for you and save you money, especially finding used ones. They seem to be for sale alot. People get excited about making their own hay then realize it's a lot more work than they realized and let it all go a few years later. For comparison I have a Maxilator accumulator/grapple and use it for grapple only. The accumulator "settings" do the same as what you mentioned - too rough and will roll the bales. The drag accumulator works good 99% of the time, except for washes and terribly rough ground. Sometimes it'll miss releasing the bales when full because of the bouncing and sometimes it'll roll a bale because of horrible roughness in a field.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have a Parrish Accumalator that works very well. However I have a very smooth field. I have one small drainage ditch if you what to call it that and a bale will roll in it a couple times a year. I could see where rough ground may be an issue.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The sweep would give you fits just like the accumulator/grapple because it operates on the same principle. I have very rough ground here and I get along pretty good with a drag type accumulator. Mine happens to be from Rafter M out of Texas but Parrish makes one too, and maybe some others.....I don't know. It's essentially the same principle and idea. I think finding one of these would work out for you and save you money, especially finding used ones. They seem to be for sale alot. People get excited about making their own hay then realize it's a lot more work than they realized and let it all go a few years later. For comparison I have a Maxilator accumulator/grapple and use it for grapple only. The accumulator "settings" do the same as what you mentioned - too rough and will roll the bales. The drag accumulator works good 99% of the time, except for washes and terribly rough ground. Sometimes it'll miss releasing the bales when full because of the bouncing and sometimes it'll roll a bale because of horrible roughness in a field.
I have a 8 bale flat drop Hay Master drag type accumulator, works well, while my fields are not terribly rough they are far from smooth. I believe Agway makes a drag type accumulator also. Both are a pretty simple design, if you have time and are handy working metal. make sure you get the same size as your grapple (8 bale, 10 bale, flat, edge, etc.)

·
195 Posts
Don't write off the Kuhn's because of the price tag of new. Because of their simple design, even used one are still workable (and can collapse for fairly easy shipping). Have tried calling Kuhn's direct and see if they have (or know of) any used ones? Sometimes if a guy is thinking of upgrading and is talking to Kuhn's, they may have a lead on a used one about to come on the market.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a Land Honor Accumulator Grapple. I was hoping to make my own hay instead of buying the 3000 squares. And, hoping to be one person operation. The Accumulator didn't work so well. My ground is to rough. Once in a while I could skid all the bales in. Most of the time I spent on the ground putting bales in front of the accumulator or pulling bales out that rolled into a ball from hitting a rut or bump. I tried making the bales heavier. It helped them keep there shape better. But, not a total solution. 200 bales of second cutting took me all afternoon to get in the barn. I'm thinking of buying something in the spring to help. I would like a Kuhn Hay Accumulator, but price is out of my reach. Would a sweep work better like the Rocky Mountain Bale Sweep. Use the sweep to accumulate. I could take the guides off the grapple and use that for stacking. I'm open to any other ideas.
Do you still have the land honor accumulator grapple? I can’t find any reviews on it. Trying to decide if the maxilator is worth the extra money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts