Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dad was mowing with our 616 today and noticed it was struggling in thick hay and got down and noticed smoke coming from belt area. When I got home I took off the shield and there is a bearing out on the shaft. On one end your pto shaft splines to it and on other end the big pulley for the belt is keyed on. Any tips or tricks on replacing the front and rear bearings in this area? Thanks

·
2,826 Posts
The large pulley will need to be removed along with the key. Remove the pto from the front of the shaft. Remove the front snap ring. Drive the shaft forward from the back to remove front bearing and shaft. Remove rear snap ring and drive the rear bearing out the back.

If you can not get the pulley off, then you can get to the rear snap ring through the pulley to remove the snap ring. Drive the shaft from the front and out the back. You can then press the pulley and bearing off the shaft. When pressing remember to allow room for the key to push up with the pulley since the bearing will force the key up. The key way in the shaft can not be obstructed when pressing.

Do not try and pull the pulley by placing the jaws on the outer diameter of the pulley. You are guaranteed to broke the pulley. Pull from the center hub.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If it's like my 617 you might have to remove the pivot shaft to make it easer to get it out to work on. Its held in by some big roll pins.

Also hopefully the shaft didn't get eaten up. My did and it's not cheep.

·
2,826 Posts
Removing the pivot shaft will not help you since the you cannot get the parts through the shield with the pulley on.

This is not a difficult repair since the pto is held with a quick pin and by taking out one snap ring the pulley and shaft can be driven out the back without any problem. Once out the pulley can be pressed off along with the bearing. Care only needs to be taken not to cover the key way slot so the key can push up with the pulley.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Removing the pivot shaft will not help you since the you cannot get the parts through the shield with the pulley on.

This is not a difficult repair since the pto is held with a quick pin and by taking out one snap ring the pulley and shaft can be driven out the back without any problem. Once out the pulley can be pressed off along with the bearing. Care only needs to be taken not to cover the key way slot so the key can push up with the pulley.
Doesn’t sound to bad. Gonna start on it this weekend. Do you recommend belt replacement since he ran it for awhile with it getting hot the belt is glazed some?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only if the belt has a burned spot where part of the belt wore away. The v’s will be narrower in that spot.
Okay mike I haven’t got to start on it much but I have noticed a hairline crack in that shaft right at the key way. You think I need to go ahead and find a new shaft?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got all the parts in and fixed. It wasn’t a cheap repair. Couldn’t get the pulley off so drove shaft out with pulley. Took pulley to a guy with a press and the pulley ended up cracking as he pushed shaft out so had to find a pulley and new shaft. All is good now. I wonder why my old pulley had 13 holes in it and the used one I found only has 5. I’m assuming that’s for balance?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts