Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

I bought my first baler this year, and I need to do some belt work on it this winter. I had a belt break during 3rd cutting and got it fixed. The guy charged $40 to have new laces put on the belt. I thought it was a little step.

I need to redo some laces on the belts over the winter and see that I can get a 7 inch vice lacer (Clipper 1001449 Vise Lacer Tool ) for around $180. I can get 10 paper cards (This Clipper 1002887 Lacing Belt Repair) for $40.

I know it would be easier to just pay the cost, but I want to buy this as an investment tool. I know more belts will break down the road, and the closest shop to get them fixed is 50 minutes away.

Does anyone have advice on what they use to repair belts. I think since this are from the same company the clips will work just fine.

Thanks!

·
2,628 Posts
For two laces the charge was reasonable.

Lacing your own belts is not as easy as you might think. If you have three ply belts you need a heavy duty vice that you are not afraid of putting a pipe over the handle so the lacings get seated properly.

Mato lacings are easier to install, for an individual, but you also need a tool to install them.

With either lacing you must have the ability to cut the belt square and if the belt has a rough top or patterned top you will need to skieve the rough top or pattern off so the Lacpings get seated properly. Certainly doable with the right tools. Shoup offers a belt skiever and I think a Mato lacer.

Alligator lacings will also work, but do not hold up as well as the Mato in our NH balers. Depends on the diameter of the rolls and how severe the bend is.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Due to rd baling with both clipper & Mato lacings I would hate to go back to clipper type lacings. Mata are much more trouble free/longer lasting lacings

·
2,628 Posts
Jim, I agree a Mato lacing is superior to any other lacing I am familiar with. Having said that, I deal in the real world where my customers are not always diligent in their baling habits. With those customers the clipper lacing is more forgiving than the other types and while they may not last as long the clipper lacing serves those customers well.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Mike
You're correct. After baling several 1000/s of rd bales with a newer style baler I'd quit rd baling if I had to revert
to much older/more difficult to utilize rd baler
Jim

·
Registered
55 Posts
My advice, put new belts with alligator lacing, should be good for 10K + rolls!
I was wrong, and having a senior moment!!! My roller has Mato lacing not alligator!
I don't know WTF I was thinking!
So my advice is new belts w/ mato lacing.
My apologies for bad info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts