Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
have a 5209 all my rollers turn with drive shaft, yet my turtles don't turn I can turn them manually all 7 will turn when I turn any 1 of them. I cut early on a wet morning and the turtles loaded up with hay and stopped turning

·
Registered
717 Posts
You have likely twisted off the shaft between the cutterbar and the gearbox. If its an older gray model you could have a shattered key in the gearbox. There are two gears on an idler shaft towards the bottom where all the power to drive the cutterbar is transmitted through one small key.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the white cutter the service manual really has some vague descriptions and the pictures of the gear box are blurry we rebuilt the cutter bar when we bought this unit. I don't recall a key way we didn't go into the gear box we replaced the shaft and all the bearings in the heads.

·
1,042 Posts
I've never had the gearbox on my CaseIH 3309 apart (I believe it's same mower with a different paint job/decals), but I think the key that Discbinedr is referring to is between the sleeve that the hex drive shaft of the cutterbar slides into and the gear inside the gearbox. This will require disassembly of the gearbox to fix. As Discbinedr also stated, it could be that the hex shaft sheared between the gearbox and the first cutter bar section and I would check that first since it is an easier job than pulling the gearbox apart, but since you stated you already replaced the shaft, I'm thinking it's probably the key in the gearbox.

You should be able to use the 3309 model on CaseIH's parts website to pull up the parts diagrams in better quality images.

Reactions: tarpon
1 - 5 of 5 Posts