Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What model balers should I be looking for? Needs to be able for my son to pull it with his 165 Massey. Looking to get a small round baler to be able to pick up more ground for him. He wants to cater to the small guy with 2-3 cows. Some goats or sheep etc. could of had 20 acres right next door but no where to store that many square bales so looking for a smaller low hp baler. Thought about a bigger tractor and baler but wanting to make sure this endeavor takes off for him. Can I get something around 6k that would work and make a nice bale? Thank you for any info

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Is your ground flat? For a nice looking bale I would recommend net wrap. All I'm familiar with is JD 446, 458 &459 Series. Net is not available on 4 ft but your tractor is right at the limit for running a 5 ft baler. Problem is they don't fit your budget. Unless you find a deal they are about double.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Around here, it is getting pretty hard to find balers built just for 4x4's. Most people use a 4x5 with a monitor or watch the bale indicator until it gets to 4'.
Consideration really has to be made for ground conditions and weight for operations to be safe since a MF165 is a smaller tractor. A tractor being pushed down a hill out of control is a bad situation that has killed more than its share of people.
A gas 165 is rated at 47 pto horsepower and weighs 5,000lbs unballasted. Vermeer says 40hp is minimum and 50 is recommended for their 4x5 balers. In the real world, these numbers don't mean very much unless you have super flat fields.
Many folks on this forum have done it but baling hay (especially very dry hay) on an open station can really, really suck. Not to mention the accumulated hearing loss and lung irritation that is accompanied. And this list can go on and on.
It is awesome to hear about someone from the younger generation excited about getting into haying. It would be terrible to hear that is ended in a bad way. And I hate to be the 'Debbie Downer'. Can and is it done? Yes. Is it recommended? No. The one certainty to this approach is getting 'one-footitis' and learning everything needs to be bigger.
Has he square baled with the tractor yet?

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
4,034 Posts
The New Holland 4x4s that I know of would be the BR730, BR730A, BR7050. There are others as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He hasn’t baled with his Massey 165 yet. Has been using my 2860E. His needs some brakes and the fuel system needs some help. Also need the gasket for the hydraulic remote it’s leaking. But hey it’s an old RRA and we will have the winter to get it field ready for next year. Worse part is trying to find a place to order parts. there doesn’t seem to be a lot of info on the 100 series like on the old N series fords.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
4,034 Posts
I wonder if a 4x5 baler is really any harder to pull if the bale size is limited to 4x4. There are more 4x5s to pick from I would think.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I am thinking like gear my new 460m is not any harder than my 458 was or the little claas I started with. The 460 actually makes a little bale like 30" that looks much better and probably has about the same amount of hay the old roller could pack in a 4x5.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
JD 430 could be used with a 50-60hp tractor on level ground making 4-4.5 diameter rd bales. I have no knowledge of NH rd balers because there aren't but very few NH rd balers used where I live

1 - 16 of 16 Posts