Hay & Forage Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
94 Posts
Hey all,

Just figured I would send a note that we completed the 4th cutting on our little 13 acre pasture this weekend, probably the last of the year. It was light, as we haven't had a lot of rain in August and September (which is normal), and we ended up with 435 bales. The texture and quality looked good. Nice and green Coastal Bermuda, althought not as green as in the spring and didn't have as strong of a "hay" smell. There were very few weeds, which was an improvement on last year. Typical weeds for me are milkweed, Johnson grass, tridens grass, and some clover (which I don't really worry about). I've also got a few little patches of some grasses I can't identify. Not sure why the weeds better, but we've seen a definitely decline as compared to last year. Evidently just mowing and fertilizing does do a pretty good job in my area. The previous owner hadn't fertilized in a few years, and I think it allowed the weeds to strengthen a bit.

I imagine the protein content will be pretty low and the fiber content higher though, since we did our 3rd cutting in July and it's been nearly 2 months. Not much you can do though, you have to have grass to bale!

Due to the lower expected quality, I sold the whole batch to a local horse trainer that wanted quite a bit for his customers (he stashes it in his barn and sells it for $1/bale more than he buys it from me) for a lower price ($4/bale) but he and his buddies did all the work. I felt a little guilty, since it was probably good enough hay to fetch $5/bale, but it sure was pleasant to just do the cutting, raking, and baling without the hard part (picking it up off the ground and putting it in the barn). I don't mind giving this guy a good deal though, since he has been helping my wife out quite a bit with her horses, most of the time at no charge. So I owed him one.

So instead of hauling hay all weekend, I packed up the wife and went down to College Station to watch my Aggies get thumped by Miami. Doh!

It's a little bit of a shame the season is done, it always adds extra entertainment value to my evenings and weekends. After 7 cuttings now, I feel like we are getting a handle on how things are done. That makes about 3300 bales since we moved in (about 1900 last year, 1400 this year).

This winter's chore, besides going through all the equipment tooth-and-nail, is to find a baler to buy, so I can stop borrowing (for a fee) my neighbors. I'm also hoping that, with the price of natural gas going down, the price of fertilizer will be lower next year.

Take care,

Chet.

·
Hay Master
490 Posts
Im glad everything went well for the season for you and hope next year works out as well, And yes we are all hoping the prices of ferdlizer comes down but dont hold your breath.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts