Hay & Forage Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Maybe if one regularly opens/closes this valve they will fail but my similar valve hasn't failed since I closed it in 1994. I'll bet similar valve will outlast factory heater valve & it's a lot cheaper & easier to install.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Maybe if one regularly opens/closes this valve they will fail but my similar valve hasn't failed since I closed it in 1994. I'll bet similar valve will outlast factory heater valve & it's a lot cheaper & easier to install.
I don't doubt that, almost all of the reviews I saw said the valve leaked at the stem. Open or closed did not matter. Maybe a different brand is better. Also from my experience quality has gone down on everything in the last 20-30 years.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
My dad talked to a friend who has a 4430, he said if we get 70 degrees from the vents we are doing good. Anyone with a4430 have similar experience?

·
Registered
431 Posts
I worked on a 4230 last spring and I had no trouble getting 50 degree air from the vents at 75 ambient air temp.

70 vent temp won't even take the edge off on a warming day.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
IMHO there's not much difference between AC systems on JD 30-55 series rowcrop tractors with SGB's with the newer style compressors that have been serviced correctly. I don't have a thermometer in my 4255 but I know the AC will blow air colder than 70°F

·
Registered
156 Posts
I put a new denso style compressor on my 4440 and it made a huge difference over the junk A6's I had been getting from the parts stores. My family has had that tractor since new and it's the coldest it has ever been I can even get cold condensation on the windows.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Jim you may be right, spoke to another dealership and was told the 4430 tech manual calls for 4 lbs of R12 refrigerant. 4lbs x.80 equals 3.2 lbs of R134a. Not the 3.6 the other dealership told me.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
4#s of R12 is what my 4255 tech manual states therefore 3.2#s of 134A should be correct fill amount

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Sometimes it's difficult to see the forest for the trees. I think I'm not wiser but I'll bet I have ""more hands on experience with JD AC systems"" that you have had.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Wiser than me! It comment was meant as a compliment.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
I replied to your PM. I need to research correct use of the manual refrigerant control valves on compressor because my tractors have the newer style hose connectors. Below in photo is results my DuckDuckGo research. I hope you get you AC to cooling

Attachments

41 - 56 of 56 Posts