Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys/gals,

Any of you ever pull the plunger out of a Hesston 4755 or Case IH 8575? What's all involved (plunger rollers, crank connecting arms, etc), and where should I foresee the biggest headaches to be? Our mechanic at Hoober (Denny Engle, awesome guy) recommended pulling it out of the front or the top, so will need to pull off central lube and knotter blower assemblies.

Reason being, bottom of plunger has some metal torn up and the bottom knife can no longer mount to the plunger (from last owner, I assume he hit a rock). Or work on the plunger inside the bale chamber? Problem is some metal needs cut out and replaced...would be easier to weld and fabricate if plunger was out.

-picture attached for representation

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
Are you sure Denny (I would rank him as one of the most qualified baler techs) said to pull it out the front? I've only heard of pulling it out the top (the factory recommended method) or the rear. Otherwise the gearbox is in the way of getting it out the front. In cases where you have to pull the knotter stack I've heard some guys say pulling it out the rear isn't that hard, but I think it's a job that needs at least two guys and one of those poor souls has to get in front of the plunger and guide it out.

He's right that it can come out the top without removing the knotter stack... I wish that still applied to the balers built today. The service manual also suggests you need 1000 lbs lifting capacity and 12' of clearance.

Your biggest beef will likely be removing the plunger rollers; everything else should be pretty smooth and I'd expect to have the plunger out in a day. The front rollers aren't too bad as you can just remove the roller and bearing, then remove the shaft and adjusting eccentric as one assembly. The bear will be the rear rollers as the only way to remove them is by pulling. I recommend getting a slide hammer and sacrificing one of the plunger roller nuts to make a jig to grab the shaft by. That said, maybe you'll get lucky and they'll come right out... it just depends on how those shafts have worn in the bores, if at all.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts