Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
not coming off the bill hook usually means the wiper isn't set close enough... may have too much tension holding the bill hook closed too though

·
Super Moderator
15,787 Posts
Grease billhook and put some wd40 in billhook joints and wipe clean. Then check wiper by turning fly by hand after manual tripping.

Regards, Mike

·
Registered
812 Posts
I've checked wiper adjustment by unbolting the knotter and pivoting it up. This should cause the wiper to move and based on resistance give you an idea if the wiper is touching the bill hook, and if it is, how hard. Of Course it wouldn't be the first thing I've done wrong.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a john deere 328 baler and it was throwing fits with me this spring, missing bales and wrapping my bill hooks. I did what the other folks said, check my adjustments, cleaned the bill hooks up with a little fine grade sand paper, lubed and greased everything and still, same issue... Finally had a friend suggest checking the twine, went to the JD dealer and picked up a bale of the 10000 green plastic twine. Problem solved, hasn't had one issue since.

Good luck, I no how frustrating that can be!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys. The bill hooks are new. The wiper is as close as it can get to the bill hook. Ive loosened the tensioner and it still has the same result. After tripping it several times, I believe the wiper arm is completely wore out. Cause it doesn't completely swipe all the way to the left. Funny how things usually go wrong on a Holliday weekend when nothing is open

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,675 Posts
That string around the base of the bill hook would make me think to check the needle positions, and to check the twine disc timing. Also check that there is a little drag on the twine coming out of the twine boxes. The bill hook and knife arm can be correctly adjusted and knots can still hang on the bill hook if a string get wrapped around the base of the bill hook.

Reactions: TommyD

·
Registered
199 Posts
That string around the base of the bill hook would make me think to check the needle positions, and to check the twine disc timing. Also check that there is a little drag on the twine coming out of the twine boxes. The bill hook and knife arm can be correctly adjusted and knots can still hang on the bill hook if a string get wrapped around the base of the bill hook.
I agree check the needle adjustment. Looks like that's the issue

1 - 8 of 8 Posts