Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 24t baler works great. Just got done baling a field. Went to clean it out, usually I start the PTO and then manually trip it to make a bale out of the last remaining hay in the chute so I can pull it out. Without thinking I tripped it before I turned the pto on didn't think it was a problem. Started pto and BOOM, sear pin broke and now needles up into chamber and knotter gears in good shape but part way through knitting. How do I fix it. I'm not the most mechanical but any help would be great.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
Welcome to HayTalk
I think plunger head safety stop is what caused shear pin to break. When pto is disengaged when bale is just ready to be tied shear pin can be sheared when pto is engaged again.

If no hay is blocking slots in plunger head that needles travel in then I'd install new shear pin, pull PH stop out of bale chamber then rotate flywheel CCW by hand to complete tying cycle. Then remove bale from chamber.

When I clean out a sq baler bale chamber I don't want the hay tied because untied hay is easier for me to remove from bale chamber than a tied part of a bale

·
Registered
134 Posts
My 24t does not pull the needles out every once in awhile. That causes the safety stop to engage so that the needles don't get broke off. Certain tractors if running, will not allow the pto shaft to be rotated when using the flywheel to fix the shear pin. Sometimes I have had to turn off the tractor or disconnect from the pro shaft. Turning by hand can occur then. Make sure you pull up on the needle bar as far as you can so the needles come out of the bale chamber. Then you are good. if you get into wet hay, this will happen too. Good luck! Not much baling left.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
I suggest you check needle brake pads. Be sure after knotter has been tripped needle frame has some resistance so it doesn't move easily. If you need new pads the part # for lining is BP13473 which has subbed to E130736

Inability to turn baler flywheel with tractor engine operating sounds as if over-running dogs(item 21) aren't ratcheting properly. Baler pto shaft was designed to stop turning after baler operation when tractor pto is turned to off & pto should turn freely the opposite direction from engaged pto direction.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts