Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have found a 224T baler. Looks nice has new tires and plunger knives. It was used last year seems to be in good shape. What to look for on the old baler? What’s the value on it? My son wants to get it to do about 30 acres of hay with

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Check condition of metal floor at the end of auger where hay enters bale chamber & check bottom of bale case for holes created by rust/wear. Check how loose plunger-head fits in bale chamber

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well he bought it. The knotters have been rebuilt the lady said. The fella that owned it had a heart attack last year and his wife won’t let him do hay anymore. They have had the baler for over 5 years. My son is super excited we shall see if she makes a bale

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you need an operators manual go to techpubs.deere.com
For parts diagrams and numbers go to partscatalog.deere.com
Give it a good greasing, change the gear box oil and lube all the chains and put it to work. 30 acres of squares sounds miserable though. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
I'll add it wouldn't hurt to have an extra brass shear pin(E19994 @ $31.57) for knotter shaft drive sprocket. Back when I was employed by a JD dealer in parts dept I remember selling those shear pins by the sack full. Now it requires a sack full of $$$$$ to buy one shear pin.:)

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Congratulations. I remember when 224 balers were replaced with 336 & better model 346.

I suggest you lower bale chamber extension a chain link or maybe 2 or 3 links so bale will be lower when it touches the ground & bale won't be deformed exiting bale chamber

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Congratulations. I remember when 224 balers were replaced with 336 & better model 346.

I suggest you lower bale chamber extension a chain link or maybe 2 or 3 links so bale will be lower when it touches the ground & bale won't be deformed exiting bale chamber
Yes we need to replace the chain that is all the links so now we know the baler works good we will start replacing some things. It needs a few pics up teeth would it hurt to put the curved ones on? And I read that it’s a good idea to replace the front chain every season. Also it needs some bushings I think on the packer fork

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Replacing frt chain would be de[pendant of number of bales baled every season. I owned a JD 347 for over 10 yrs baling several 1000 bales each yr & only lubricated the chain but never replaced that chain. E17615 pickup tooth subs to 276SE but I can't remember if they have curved or straight shanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts