121 - 140 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Last load. Shed is officially empty.
Wood Hall Floor Beam Composite material
Sky Train Plant Rolling stock Land lot

Filling it may be an issue now... We have had 10 inches in the last 6 weeks. This country can't tolerate that amount of rain. Last dumping was over 4 inches and about the same is forecast later this week. My lucerne under the pivot is slightly damp....
Plant Shoe Light Leaf Botany

Be an absolute miracle if I don't lose half of it...Trying to pump it back through mainline and into my supply channel...
Plant Sky Cloud People in nature Land lot
Sky Plant Plant community Cloud Ecoregion
Plant Water Branch Pipeline transport Grass

Should have had first cut well done by now... Be lucky if any pasture or cereal hay can be made this year. If so it will be horrible quality..
My silage stacks didn't fare so we either
Cloud Sky Mirror Automotive side-view mirror Plant

·
Registered
638 Posts
Sorry you are suffering with wet weather. Others are dealing with droughts. A few years back we had 2 years in a row where we were in the top 5 records for rain in May and June our first crop season. We didn't make 1st crop till July. Goal then is just to make green hay because if it gets rain on it then you might as well make fertilizer out of it. You will be getting some new green growth in there by then.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Rained 2 inches here again yesterday. I had just finished pumping water off of Lucerne. It's now as deep as it was before I started. Sure to lose a heap of it now.. Some of the crop losses in Northern New South Wales are astronomical. Could be up to $142 million in wheat alone.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
2022 dry hay season officially ended today. Even if I wanted to do more I don’t have a field available. Tomorrow mow for baleage and will be done with all hay this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Finally got started cutting for this season. 7 weeks late due the biblical rain we have had here . Rain predicted for the weekend too. Decided to chop it all at this stage as hay is totally out of the question...FSecond paddock was a touch moist...
Sky Plant Daytime Plant community Hood
Plant Sky Leaf Natural landscape Land lot

And this was a good bit..... Third paddock I wrote off completely. Things improved after that and have knocked a fair bit down in front of chopper.
Then yesterday smoked the conditioner belt. Turns out was a bit more terminal...
Wood Automotive tire Gas Auto part Metal
Automotive tire Plant Wood Gas Automotive wheel system
Tensioner pulley bearing failed. Had one in Melbourne. Would be 3 days before I saw it. So took the drive to Melbourne after hours and pay the $180 call out fee option. Got there 11.15pm last night. Picked up pulley and belts. Got home 2.45am (570km round trip) back together by 6.30am only to find parts girl had wrong number for belt....So had to put old one back on... Back running
Plant Sky Plant community Natural landscape Tree

This has been a season to forget so far....

·
Registered
661 Posts
Tensioner pulley bearing failed. Had one in Melbourne. Would be 3 days before I saw it. So took the drive to Melbourne after hours and pay the $180 call out fee option. Got there 11.15pm last night. Picked up pulley and belts. Got home 2.45am (570km round trip) back together by 6.30am only to find parts girl had wrong number for belt....So had to put old one back on... Back running
This has been a season to forget so far....
Here's me thinking you were on the Lachlan near Forbes, but you are clearly way further south than that, and not much further from Melbourne than I am near Warrnambool (520km round triip). So where are you? Tocumwal - Deniliquin area?

Your lightning trip reminds me of the story my father told me about the time in the 1940s my grandfather needed a reaper and binder part in a hurry, and could not wait a few days for it to be freighted from Melbourne. He called my father, who was working in Melbourne at the time and caught a tram down Bourke St to the Sunshine Massey Harris office (yes, in Bourke St Melbourne!), bought the part, walked to Spencer Street Station and had it on the next train to Castlemaine.for grandfather to pick up.

I just walked some paddocks today and I reckon they might go for silage after this next lot of rain has passed.

Roger

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 · (Edited)
Here's me thinking you were on the Lachlan near Forbes, but you are clearly way further south than that, and not much further from Melbourne than I am near Warrnambool (520km round triip). So where are you? Tocumwal - Deniliquin area?

Your lightning trip reminds me of the story my father told me about the time in the 1940s my grandfather needed a reaper and binder part in a hurry, and could not wait a few days for it to be freighted from Melbourne. He called my father, who was working in Melbourne at the time and caught a tram down Bourke St to the Sunshine Massey Harris office (yes, in Bourke St Melbourne!), bought the part, walked to Spencer Street Station and had it on the next train to Castlemaine.for grandfather to pick up.

I just walked some paddocks today and I reckon they might go for silage after this next lot of rain has passed.

Roger
Close guess with Toc. Not my first run around the park in regards to an after hours parts run to JD in Melbourne. Last time was a Sunday of a long weekend. Pretty annoying though that dealerships carry virtually nothing these days.
I may yet have to do a trip to Ballarat to road a 4m mower home. Carrier had been next to useless in organizing a pickup. And when she did say they'd have a truck there within 5 hrs, the service manager cracked the shìťs and refused to load it... Didn't have enough notice to lift a moco on. Bit over it tbh.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 · (Edited)
Chopper broke down twice yesterday. Only got 20ac done. They started early this morning. But it wasn't enough. Got hammered by a storm at lunchtime. Then a massive one at 4pm ended it all. Big rain expected tomorrow as well. Still got a heap of Lucerne lying on the ground. Bit shattered atm. More bloody rain forecast for next weekend too. Never ever known a spring like this one...And I hope I never see it again.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
4,044 Posts
@Hay diddle diddle
Sorry to hear of your woes. No comfort to you but your weather reminds me of what we went through in 2018 and 2019. Never ending rain and in large amounts. More flooding than I had ever seen prior to that in my life. Trying to get crop baled dry was an exercise in frustration. Baling season 2019 ended with a snow storm the week of Thanksgiving; we were only about 1/2 - 2/3 finished with our corn stover baling obligations. Storm hit so quick the balers about didn’t make it across the field for the last windrow.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Pivot this morning. Water courtesy of my neighbor.....Must remember to thank him:rolleyes::mad:
Cloud Sky Water Plant Natural landscape
Cloud Sky Water Water resources Plant
Water Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape
Water Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape

Decision to be made in coming days as to whether try and eventually stich in new stuff where it's drowned/will drown. Or whether to just spray it all out. Do the civil works I need to negate this in the future, and start again in the autumn......

121 - 140 of 155 Posts