Hay & Forage Forum banner
101 - 120 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Made some nice hay on an old landing strip, mowed Sunday night, tedded right away, tedded again Monday night, raked Tuesday, baled Wednesday afternoon. Bale monitor said moisture was between 8-12%, spiked up to 15% in a couple of places. I should have tedded again Tuesday, and raked Wednesday morning and it would have been dryer.
The bottoms of the windrows felt damp, but by the time it got to the chamber I suppose it mixed around enough the reading stayed low. There are 190 bales on this wagon, I stopped and stacked them as I went.

On another small field, it was dry when I mowed, dry when I tedded, there was water on the tires in spots when I raked, and again when I baled.The whole field is sloped, so there must be springs on it.Even though moisture was 10-14% I kept the acid pump on for most of the field at the lowest setting.

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Vehicle

·
Registered
470 Posts
I mowed 10ish acres Tuesday night, and no rain in the forecast until next Tuesday. I mean like single digit percent chance of rain. I was planning on baling today and tomorrow, but apparently the forecast changed late last night. So I tried to rake and get some off this morning. Didn't make it, started raining before I finished raking. Oh well...

Sky Plant Nature Tree People in nature

Sky Plant Tree Natural landscape Grass

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
I mowed 10ish acres Tuesday night, and no rain in the forecast until next Tuesday. I mean like single digit percent chance of rain. I was planning on baling today and tomorrow, but apparently the forecast changed late last night. So I tried to rake and get some off this morning. Didn't make it, started raining before I finished raking. Oh well...

View attachment 92409
View attachment 92410
I find it astounding really. Your weather agency is the EXACT opposite of ours. Ours ALWAYS promises rain 7 days out, then bam, by the time it gets here, either a tenth of what they forecast or none at all. It's NEVER the other way round for us.

·
Registered
4000, 4600, 7600, 7700, and 8700 Fords, Kubota M6800, Vermeer and John Deere hay equipment
41 Posts
Cloud Sky Plant Tire Automotive tire

I mowed mine Tuesday after a shower. Weathermen all said no rain chance at all until Saturday night, then it was 30%, 30% Sunday (today), and 60% Monday. Literally, finished mowing Tuesday evening, came home, watched weather on tv, and they had it at 30% Wednesday, 40% Thursday, 50% Friday, 70% Saturday, and 90% today. I just kept my tedder going and got it up Friday evening. Saturday morning I got about a tenth of an inch, been raining off and on all day today. I should have known better than mowing to bale on a holiday weekend. Most weathermen around here like to give “feel good forecasts” for holidays and nascar race weekends ( I’m about 15 miles from Bristol speedway).

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
No track or rollers on the bottom. That strip is 40mmx 75mm rubber to stop the storm water from running back under the doors. Entirely suspended off of 2 tonne bearing hinges and 1 tracking carrier on the inner top.

101 - 120 of 155 Posts