Hay & Forage Forum banner
141 - 160 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
You won’t regret either purchase, you will question why it took you so long to spend a little for a lot of peace post baling
I've been dragging my feet for a few years now, I'd just rather make nice dry hay. Apparently I'm not that bright!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Didnt know my phone had a life of it's own and made "stories" till I was trying to delete stuff to free up memory... Anyhoo. Found this and thought it was cool, so thought I'd share...
At the moment preparing ground for a spring lucerne planting. Working in lime and gypsum. Pivot fits the paddock perfectly now after winters big shift. If anyone is interested in seeing how to move a NON towable pivot by yourself , watch the video above and check out my other YouTube clips.
Sky Ecoregion Natural environment Natural landscape Land lot
Wood Asphalt Grass Plant Landscape
Plant Natural landscape Wood Grass Road surface
Plant Asphalt Natural landscape Land lot Wood
Road surface Asphalt Mode of transport Runway Wood

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 · (Edited)
Guess I never thought of that's how you work ground under a pivot. Makes sense. Really neat video.
Up and back is a possibility too. I'm doing circle work as I'm leaving a 2 foot curve where each tower runs. I'm trying to avoid causing wheel track rutting. Fingers crossed it works. As for haying under a pivot. You can do circle work as well. Or cut back n forwards if wheel tracks aren't an issue. Original owner that set the first pivot up cut back n forwards. Last bloke haying it did it in circles.. When it's time to sow it will be back n forwards and then cross drill it.It's all new to me. Only had this farm for 9 months.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Well I gotta say I just baled a few acres of second cutting this week. Decent crop, a couple of nice days there in the beginning, humidity got high and the haze from the wildfires hurt drydown time, but I'm kicking myself because I raked when I should have tedded and let it rest another day, and if I didn't have to fly to Kansas for work would have waited another day to bale.

Moisture was higher than I like, running up to 20% or so, most under 18% and the occasional high reading in a few. Humidity went way high before I finished baling Wednesday night (these are small squares) so I left the most full wagon hitched to a tractor, parked it indoors pointed at the door, and left a temperature probe stuck in a high reading bale and told my absolutely wonderful girlfriend to check it am/pm while I'm away, with the instructions if the temp goes to 100°F get it out of the barn and out in the open and I'll worry about the wagon later if it burns.

Here we are two days later and the temp has not gone over 73°F. I think it's OK.

Regardless, while on my business trip (my day job interferes with my farming efforts every summer, so frustrating) I did a bunch of research here and elsewhere, and last night I broke out the ol' credit card and I now have an Agratronix BHT-2 bale monitor and a 25 gallon CropCare applicator tank kit on order.

I made a bunch of calls, and absolutely every dealer around me is out of preservative, although one of my local tractor places is getting some in early next week and has me on their list for when it comes in.

I should have it installed before I finish 2nd cutting, and (hopefully) make a third in mid September. I hate spending the money but it seems like a good investment...
Your hay is not going to get too hot.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Finally been getting a bit of nice weather. Finished first cut last week. Started right into second. Delivered some rounds of first. Also had another friend come in with his baron yesterday to help before it rained. Did 25 acres in about 3.5 hours.
The yield was good 1800 bales and 25 rounds.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Finally been getting a bit of nice weather. Finished first cut last week. Started right into second. Delivered some rounds of first. Also had another friend come in with his baron yesterday to help before it rained. Did 25 acres in about 3.5 hours.
The yield was good 1800 bales and 25 rounds.
I hope I can say the same thing next week. Have about 15 acres left of 1st and 60 acres of 2nd that has been ready. This could be the worst year yet.

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,713 Posts
Beginning of the annual bean straw run. Decided to do something different and put the duals on the MX135 this fall.
Brown Sky Natural landscape Agriculture Tree
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Tractor

Reactions: IH 1586

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
2,978 Posts
That is nice looking hay. Did not think you St Louis guys ever got low humidity. Yesterday and day before were optimum here. 80 degrees, good breeze, and below 40% humidity. Yesterday it was blowing about 7-8 mph, any more and the windrows would have been lost. Hay running at 12.5% both on the inline and stick. Really nice hay. today showers, muggy.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks Hayman and others... yes low humidity is kind of like a unicorn around here.. pretty clear it makes a huge difference.. we’ve had sloppy dews all summer and didn’t even have that to contend with.. it was super windy yesterday and blowing my orchard grass windrows around.. kind of a hassle but others are having way worse going than me so we’ll just be happy it’s in the shed dry

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
Not hay weather here yet... But will be starting silage in the coming week. Conveniently the contractor I use, uses my yard to store his equipment when up here.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not a bad year on this side of the mountains (West) in Montana. We had about a 10 day hard rain, right in the middle of the season, that kind of messed us up, but we did as good as last year. I'd love to have another 100 bales sitting here, but we've got enough if we don't have an early winter.
The new to us Vermeer 605SM made baling fun again! What a wonderful machine! Short, tall, dry, wet, whatever....it just does it's job and spits them out the back! Couldn't be happier!
John
Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Wood
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tree

141 - 160 of 160 Posts