Up and back is a possibility too. I'm doing circle work as I'm leaving a 2 foot curve where each tower runs. I'm trying to avoid causing wheel track rutting. Fingers crossed it works. As for haying under a pivot. You can do circle work as well. Or cut back n forwards if wheel tracks aren't an issue. Original owner that set the first pivot up cut back n forwards. Last bloke haying it did it in circles.. When it's time to sow it will be back n forwards and then cross drill it.It's all new to me. Only had this farm for 9 months.Guess I never thought of that's how you work ground under a pivot. Makes sense. Really neat video.
Your hay is not going to get too hot.Well I gotta say I just baled a few acres of second cutting this week. Decent crop, a couple of nice days there in the beginning, humidity got high and the haze from the wildfires hurt drydown time, but I'm kicking myself because I raked when I should have tedded and let it rest another day, and if I didn't have to fly to Kansas for work would have waited another day to bale.
Moisture was higher than I like, running up to 20% or so, most under 18% and the occasional high reading in a few. Humidity went way high before I finished baling Wednesday night (these are small squares) so I left the most full wagon hitched to a tractor, parked it indoors pointed at the door, and left a temperature probe stuck in a high reading bale and told my absolutely wonderful girlfriend to check it am/pm while I'm away, with the instructions if the temp goes to 100°F get it out of the barn and out in the open and I'll worry about the wagon later if it burns.
Here we are two days later and the temp has not gone over 73°F. I think it's OK.
Regardless, while on my business trip (my day job interferes with my farming efforts every summer, so frustrating) I did a bunch of research here and elsewhere, and last night I broke out the ol' credit card and I now have an Agratronix BHT-2 bale monitor and a 25 gallon CropCare applicator tank kit on order.
I made a bunch of calls, and absolutely every dealer around me is out of preservative, although one of my local tractor places is getting some in early next week and has me on their list for when it comes in.
I should have it installed before I finish 2nd cutting, and (hopefully) make a third in mid September. I hate spending the money but it seems like a good investment...
I hope I can say the same thing next week. Have about 15 acres left of 1st and 60 acres of 2nd that has been ready. This could be the worst year yet.Finally been getting a bit of nice weather. Finished first cut last week. Started right into second. Delivered some rounds of first. Also had another friend come in with his baron yesterday to help before it rained. Did 25 acres in about 3.5 hours.
The yield was good 1800 bales and 25 rounds.