Hay & Forage Forum banner
121 - 140 of 162 Posts

·
An ounce of doing is worth a pound of talk
1,169 Posts
Finally started cutting our first cutting. I plugged up the header three times. Started cutting at four MPR, plugged, slowed to three MPR, plugged, slowed to two MPR and had not problems. It only plugged up on the right side, maybe the conditioner is set to tight on the right side. I should have had it cut two weeks ago, but oh well, that is the way the cookie crumbles.
Sky Cloud Plant Natural landscape Tree

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not many folks have cut hay yet in NW Florida; was real dry through the first of June but has been solid rain since. Will be laying down our perennial peanut as soon as weather window appears. It's about 10" tall in this photo from last weekend; probably be 12"-14" when we cut it. Will make some top quality weed free hay if we can get it put up.

Cloud Plant Green Sky Natural landscape
Hand Plant Leaf Gesture Grass

·
Registered
535 Posts
We finished up the acres that we cut for second cutting this week. About like first cutting in that it was about 50-60% of normal. But better than it could have been with no more rain than we’ve had. One thing for sure though, it dried much easier than last year when I can’t remember cutting a single second or third cut field that wasn’t mud beneath.

Attachments

·
1,468 Posts
I did 220 bales of Rowen this afternoon! My wagons didn't look near that neat! But then I haven't perfected bale placement with the belt thrower! :rolleyes:;)

• Haha
Reactions: RockyHill

·
Registered
449 Posts
Well I gotta say I just baled a few acres of second cutting this week. Decent crop, a couple of nice days there in the beginning, humidity got high and the haze from the wildfires hurt drydown time, but I'm kicking myself because I raked when I should have tedded and let it rest another day, and if I didn't have to fly to Kansas for work would have waited another day to bale.

Moisture was higher than I like, running up to 20% or so, most under 18% and the occasional high reading in a few. Humidity went way high before I finished baling Wednesday night (these are small squares) so I left the most full wagon hitched to a tractor, parked it indoors pointed at the door, and left a temperature probe stuck in a high reading bale and told my absolutely wonderful girlfriend to check it am/pm while I'm away, with the instructions if the temp goes to 100°F get it out of the barn and out in the open and I'll worry about the wagon later if it burns.

Here we are two days later and the temp has not gone over 73°F. I think it's OK.

Regardless, while on my business trip (my day job interferes with my farming efforts every summer, so frustrating) I did a bunch of research here and elsewhere, and last night I broke out the ol' credit card and I now have an Agratronix BHT-2 bale monitor and a 25 gallon CropCare applicator tank kit on order.

I made a bunch of calls, and absolutely every dealer around me is out of preservative, although one of my local tractor places is getting some in early next week and has me on their list for when it comes in.

I should have it installed before I finish 2nd cutting, and (hopefully) make a third in mid September. I hate spending the money but it seems like a good investment...

·
Gourmet Horse Hay Producer
2,988 Posts
You won’t regret either purchase, you will question why it took you so long to spend a little for a lot of peace post baling

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,715 Posts
Reactions: SwingOak
121 - 140 of 162 Posts