Hay & Forage Forum banner
101 - 120 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is not a stunt, I actually did this Christmas afternoon, although it didn't make much it is the difference between running out of hay and squeaking by and it will be razor thin at best. I pray everyday for warm temps and no snow and ice. There is no hay to be had around here, after one of the wettest years on record the rain shut off in mid May and turned hot and we saw very little rain until mid November. There was no fall grass at all. I had to start feeding hay at the end of August which put me in this predicament in the first place.

attachicon.gif
20201227_150452.jpg
attachicon.gif
20201227_150623.jpg

attachicon.gif
20201227_150456.jpg
attachicon.gif
20201225_164009.jpg
Ditto.

Great start to the season in New Hampshire then the rain shut off. I ran my equipment over ten acres in mid November and ended up with 6 rounds. After I started cutting the field I started getting the "this is really stupid " feeling but it wasn't my own field and I couldn't leave it half cut.

Had to start feeding two herds in August (normally mid Oct.).

Forecast is for 8 inches of snow tonight. Poor mans fertilizer....

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
21 tons of fertilizer on and waiting for the rains arrival. Spitting some snow yesterday while spreading. Fields are looking great and if all goes well should be excellent yields. If all goes well should have 2 tons on the house after their truck broke down and couldn't unload.

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
21 tons of fertilizer on and waiting for the rains arrival. Spitting some snow yesterday while spreading. Fields are looking great and if all goes well should be excellent yields. If all goes well should have 2 tons on the house after their truck broke down and couldn't unload.
21 tons with that spreader setup ain't no joke. Git er done

·
Hay Master
2,366 Posts
It's been a while but here's a few photos from the second hay cut this season, the first was about 31 bales of fairly clean Abruzzi Rye on 5 acres. he first photo is of 140 4x4' rounds, but you can't see them all, on 12 acres of Abruzzi Rye, Oats and volunteer Italian Rye. Don't care for the Italian Rye but son's herd likes it. Most of the Fall seeding drowned out here after 69.25" rain last year, a record. Son has about 27 acres on the ground right now, baling starts tomorrow.

IMG_2956.jpg IMG_2801.jpg IMG_2757.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
It's been a while but here's a few photos from the second hay cut this season, the first was about 31 bales of fairly clean Abruzzi Rye on 5 acres. he first photo is of 140 4x4' rounds, but you can't see them all, on 12 acres of Abruzzi Rye, Oats and volunteer Italian Rye. Don't care for the Italian Rye but son's herd likes it. Most of the Fall seeding drowned out here after 69.25" rain last year, a record. Son has about 27 acres on the ground right now, baling starts tomorrow.

attachicon.gif
IMG_2956.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_2801.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_2757.jpg
Glad to see you back on here.

Beautiful pictures!

Shelia

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,598 Posts
Helped a neighbor chop his winter rye a few days ago. I ran the rake for something different. Been a really, really long time since I raked very much crop in front of a chopper. Moisture was at 64% when we started. My guess is the crop in the video was down to more like 60%. The Vermeer R2300 does a very nice job raking wet crop. Can't travel as fast as if the crop were dry, but still could easily stay ahead of a 500 hp Claas chopper. 15' mower swath.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Couple miscellaneous pictures from May.

Trucks first load of baleage truck3.jpg

First bale of the season bale.jpg

Our new arrivals Cattle.jpg cattle1.jpg Cattle3.jpg Cattle5.jpg

The other part of the herd cattle4.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
My 2 sons got to bring home their Great Grandpa/Grandpa's JD chopper box 19 years after I sold it. Purchased new it only seemed right to bring it back home when my wife saw it sitting for sale along the road. Few of my dads bumper stickers remain. 40 years on the farm it left with original tires and rim. Came back with 1. Rest are white and car tires little annoyed with that. Hope to get the original owners manual soon. At least it was stored inside.

Edited 6/15/2021

Can't believe I forgot an original farm picture from back in the day.

Attachments

101 - 120 of 135 Posts