Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get into the custom hay business. I don't have a lot of capital and can't get a loan. I have a Ford 3000 Tractor and recently found a John Deere 14T square baler for $500. I realize that its probably not the best baler to use to get into custom hay but I need to start with something. The baler is in very good condition. I greased everything and tried to thread the baler. One of the gears on the right knotter had siezed up causing the frame of the knotter to break. I would like to know if its better to weld it or get another knotter. John Deere wants $1,000 for a knotter, which is more than I paid for the baler. I found a John Deere 24T knotter on ebay and want to know if it would work on 14T.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHN-DEERE-SQUARE-BALER-KNOTTER-PARTS-GEAR-/151392901579?pt=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item233fb859cb

·
Super Moderator
15,771 Posts
I would like to get into the custom hay business. I don't have a lot of capital and can't get a loan. I have a Ford 3000 Tractor and recently found a John Deere 14T square baler for $500. I realize that its probably not the best baler to use to get into custom hay but I need to start with something. The baler is in very good condition. I greased everything and tried to thread the baler. One of the gears on the right knotter had siezed up causing the frame of the knotter to break. I would like to know if its better to weld it or get another knotter. John Deere wants $1,000 for a knotter, which is more than I paid for the baler. I found a John Deere 24T knotter on ebay and want to know if it would work on 14T.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHN-DEERE-SQUARE-BALER-KNOTTER-PARTS-GEAR-/151392901579?pt=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item233fb859cb
Depends...if your 14T serial number is after 47540 it will fit according to John Deeres part search site.

Regards, Mike

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
You cannot weld it, you must braze it. It's a casting. You must completely disassemble the knotter, relieve the broken area carefully with a die grinder, fit up the pieces and then preheat them. Then you can braze them together with borax coated brazing rod. The casting must cool slowly or it will crack where you braze it.

You need to put it in a pre heated to 350-400 degree oven and allow the oven to cool off (with the part inside). I use my wife's kitchen oven. She whines a bit but I have a deaf ear...

You must use a non carburizing flame on the oxy-acetylene torch (soft flame). I've brazed a few in my time.

Beats buying a used one and bears a new one hands down. A used one will most likely have issues anyway. Old bailers tend not to get greased, left sitting out and parts sieze.

·
Super Moderator
15,771 Posts
I saw where it was "said" on ebay it came off a JD baler but they did not say which one....I would be very skeptical about it if it came off a 336. If it came off a 336 it may fit some 24T's but maybe not fit all? And highly likely it would not fit any 14T's.

Regards, Mike

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have two 14t both are worn out, one is really a parts baler, The better one ties poly no problem ,does not like sisal at all. It never makes a nice square bale, has a hard time picking up thin hay. Loves to break sheer pins (hole is worn out for pin)

This was my first baler used it for 5 years struggling.. Moved up in world to a slighly worn out New Holland S-69 . Big difference !!!

I see the knotters for 250 On ebay some times you can get another baler for parts just a few hundred more!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts