Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,317 Posts
Ok. So I’m completely new to this. But figured I’d give it a go.
So I have roughly 65-70 acres of coastal hay in north east Texas. It does get fertilized. And sprayed to a degree for weeds.
How much do I charge per round bale to only be cut and bale on my farm? Without having him spray or spread fertilizer.
And if this man was only to spray all the fields for weeds. Then how much should I charge per bale?
Just trying to learn the market on the hay business.
I'm confused, are YOU cutting & baling or is someone else cutting & baling?
Are YOU going to ted, rake & bale or someone else?

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm confused, are YOU cutting & baling or is someone else cutting & baling?
Are YOU going to ted, rake & bale or someone else?
Someone else is doing the work. Cut rake and bale. I just provide the land. He will be taking the bales. So how much should I charge him for every bale he makes? And what would difference be if he spray all for weeds

· Registered
1,317 Posts
Someone else is doing the work. Cut rake and bale. I just provide the land. He will be taking the bales. So how much should I charge him for every bale he makes? And what would difference be if he spray all for weeds
Ok that's more clear! ;)
It's hard to say as each area is different, you'd have to analyze the fields as to content, just grass & weeds or legumes & weeds or a mix and how many weeds are there and what others are selling comparable hay.
If you only provide the land, you're really not the the hay "Business" I think that you may be able to cover a portion of the land tax or maybe even the whole amount, but that's it.
View it more as a weed control than anything else. This is my view, but I'm not in your area so I cannot speak with knowledge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts