Hay & Forage Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,980 Posts
That’s how to make a machine pay for itself.

I am hoping to put my 23,000 bale NH BR780A back in the field this week after several years of hibernation.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't envision with the price of new tractors/equipment/parts/fuel/wrap how many yrs of baling it would require to pay for the afore mentioned items in present economy!!!

·
Hay Master (Supposedly)
3,980 Posts
The economics of custom round baling are starting to look troubling. I asked last fall what it would cost to buy a new replacement for my current NH RB560 balers. It was around $52,000. And there were have been only marginal improvements on those machines compared to what I have now. No way to recoup that extra $9,000 over my current machines. Seems the whole cost structure is going to have to change. Most of my customers are in the beef business and they don’t have huge profit margins to work with either.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Making profit in beef cow/calf business in USA is very difficult in part to the strangle hold that the 4 major animal packing/processing houses on the beef raising farmer/rancher. My next door cow/calf owner told me his CPA told him he couldn't make a profit on his calves when feeding his livestock $100 per rd bale hay. I told him I thought it's difficult making a profit on calves feeding $50 per roll hay. I sold 1/2 my cows a week ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts