11 replies to this topic

#1 CowboyRam

CowboyRam

An ounce of doing is worth a pound of talk

• Members
  • 1144 posts
  • LocationRiverton, WY

Posted 04 May 2021 - 04:26 PM

I have a calf that will not suck the cow.  He will suck my finger, but can't get him to suck the tit.  Finally had to started drenching him twice a day.  Are they any tricks that I can do to get him back on the mom.  He really started to pick up after we started drenching him Saturday evening.  

#2 danwi

danwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 440 posts
  • Locationwi

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:30 PM

We don't have that many cattle, 16 cows this year, have just had a few freshen and more coming soon. I always try to get the calf eating in a few hours. If I have to I will bring the cow and calf in a box stall by themselves. I will feed the cow and get her tied up but I know that may be asking alot if you have wild cows, then we hand milk just a little bit anywhere between a cup and a quart, then bottle feed the calf enough to get the taste and idea. The hard part as the calf gets older is getting its head down in position under the cow. We have had some we had to bottle feed awhile and they eventually went to sucking  just like last year we had one the first calf heifer wasn't milking enough and we were bottle feeding the calf  then we saw one day he was helping himself on another cow. Hard work to save them all but we try. Good luck.

• CowboyRam likes this

#3 vhaby

vhaby

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationNE of Tyler, TX

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:23 PM

This is not easy or fun, but it eventually works if you have a squeeze chute with removable bottoms.

Remove a bottom from one side. Catch the cow by the neck in the head gate. Feed her something she will eat to distract her attention. Milk her to get a sufficient amount into a calf bottle and, after letting the calf suckle your fingers, transfer the nipple into its mouth. Once it learns to suckle the bottle nipple, take the calf and bottle to the cow's udders and let it continue to suckle the bottle nipple a minute or two, and then quickly remove the bottle and attempt to open the calf's mouth and insert a teat into it's mouth. This takes persistence, but eventually it will work. If at first it doesn't work, leave the cow and calf penned together and continue the above twice a day. If the calf doesn't nurse the cow in the squeeze chute, one morning it will surprise you by having nursed its mother in the pen.

• PaulN, Tx Jim and CowboyRam like this

#4 danwi

danwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 440 posts
  • Locationwi

Posted 05 May 2021 - 10:07 PM

Dealing with a heifer calf born to an old cow this morning, not sure it is sucking it was up and walking, doesn't seem hungry tried to give it a bottle tonight and it wouldn't suck. This one is up to mother nature now we did all we could.

#5 danwi

danwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 440 posts
  • Locationwi

Posted 06 May 2021 - 01:23 PM

The heifer calf from yesterday was up and sucking this morning. Hopefully it is on its way in a couple of days.

#6 CowboyRam

CowboyRam

• Members
  • 1144 posts
  • LocationRiverton, WY

Posted 06 May 2021 - 04:30 PM

The heifer calf from yesterday was up and sucking this morning. Hopefully it is on its way in a couple of days.

Glad to here that she is sucking.  If you have one that is not sucking you can use a drench bottle.  https://www.circlecs...KQaAsK9EALw_wcB

All you have to do it follow the roof of their mouth and stick that tube all the way in.  

That is what I had to do to my calf.  I just switched him to the nipple this morning.  Going to see if I can get him on the cow this afternoon.  

#7 CowboyRam

CowboyRam

• Members
  • 1144 posts
  • LocationRiverton, WY

Posted 06 May 2021 - 05:41 PM

I had my calf sucking on the mom, but I have to put the tit in his mouth.  Going to work on him some more tomorrow.  At some point he had got to figure it out.  

#8 danwi

danwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 440 posts
  • Locationwi

Posted Yesterday, 11:19 AM

Have a few more animals here  this year and a couple are being a little more challenging. Had a first calf heifer in a box stall with a calf and was doing good, put her out on the yard and she kicks at the calf so she is back in the barn. Keeping an eye on a few others just to make sure they are eating. I think this is a sign from God to cut back a few animals on our small operation. Like a neighbor said with his steers, he could get to the size where he could put enough feed in the bunk for 2 days then it would be easier to find someone to do chores, as the people that do chores for him now are getting up in age.

#9 CowboyRam

CowboyRam

• Members
  • 1144 posts
  • LocationRiverton, WY

Posted Yesterday, 10:09 PM

On Friday my vet gave me some Vitamin B and something else, I can't remember what it was.  I gave them to the calf, by Sunday it started to suck the mom.  

#10 danwi

danwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 440 posts
  • Locationwi

Posted Today, 03:08 PM

B with selenium maybe? Things around here were doing better at last evening chores. 2 new calves today. The shot wont help if the cow doesn't stand still for the calf to eat,  they might get a different shot. ^_^

#11 CowboyRam

CowboyRam

• Members
  • 1144 posts
  • LocationRiverton, WY

Posted Today, 03:18 PM

B with selenium maybe? Things around here were doing better at last evening chores. 2 new calves today. The shot wont help if the cow doesn't stand still for the calf to eat,  they might get a different shot. ^_^

Fortunately this cow stands nice and still for the calf.  I think I am out of the woods with this calf.  I have six more to calve and I am all done.  Going to brand about 50 head tomorrow.  

#12 danwi

danwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 440 posts
  • Locationwi

Posted Today, 05:38 PM

Went back out a cow that was calving not making much progress, Saw 2 feet and a big swollen nose so helped deliver a big white-faced heifer calf. If this one does ok I will be amazed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors