Alternative to deere 5' edge to edge wrap? - Machinery - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

Alternative to deere 5' edge to edge wrap?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Maxpower

Maxpower

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:07 AM

Looking for 5' edge to edge wrap for a JD 535. Deere dealer says none of the dealers in the area have it. Anyone know where to get it online or of a good alternative? Local store does have a Tama edge to edge in stock. Tama is who makes the deere stuff, do I just go with that?

#2 8350HiTech

8350HiTech

Hay Master

• Members
  • 5392 posts
  • LocationOrrstown, PA

Posted 04 May 2021 - 10:42 AM

Yes, go with that.

#3 JOR Farm

JOR Farm

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Alabama

Posted 04 May 2021 - 06:49 PM

I agree, go with Tama. Not trying to start an argument I believe there are some really good aftermarket options out there but in your case I wouldn't try anything but the best that 535 will give you a headache if it wants to.

#4 Maxpower

Maxpower

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 04 May 2021 - 09:30 PM

Yeah that's why I was asking, everyone says to stick with the JD stuff so I wanted to see what the alternative was if I couldn't find it.

#5 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8679 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 05 May 2021 - 05:32 AM

Pritchett Netwrap.I am biased as I sell it.But I use what I sell and tried many other brands first.It’s made heavier is the main thing.Also quite a bit cheaper.

I very seldom lose a customer and sometimes it’s for a year as they try something else and then they come back the next yr and that says a lot for a product.

quite a few JD ,IH.mechanics,salesman etc get netwrap from me also.

#6 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4479 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:00 AM

swmnhay

What does your 4' wide edge to edge costs per ft?

#7 8350HiTech

8350HiTech

Hay Master

• Members
  • 5392 posts
  • LocationOrrstown, PA

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:29 AM

Pritchett Netwrap.I am biased as I sell it.But I use what I sell and tried many other brands first.It’s made heavier is the main thing.Also quite a bit cheaper.

I very seldom lose a customer and sometimes it’s for a year as they try something else and then they come back the next yr and that says a lot for a product.

quite a few JD ,IH.mechanics,salesman etc get netwrap from me also.

Definitely other options for him, but if his local store has the tama, that’s hard to argue with unless he’s using enough to justify shipping in another brand
  • KS John likes this

#8 swall01

swall01

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 05 May 2021 - 11:29 AM

right now with all the shortages, if you can find it(any brand that suits YOU) in stock, you best pick it up. it likely wont be there long.

I run Jones' wrap out of Sheldon, MO in a BR7070. thankfully its not picky so i'm able to use what i like (at the time)

#9 Maxpower

Maxpower

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 05 May 2021 - 01:58 PM

Yeah I got the last roll of 64" they had. It's my understanding that there's a big cargo shipping issue right now. I checked the package and Tama is an overseas made product so getting more later on could be a problem. So I've got the Tama for now, I'll look into pritchett too, everyone seems to like it.

Another reason I had asked about using it was I know in other industries the "name brand" is sometimes made to different standards so I wasn't sure if store bought Tama which is blue/white is any different quality than the green/yellow stuff.

#10 swall01

swall01

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 05 May 2021 - 05:20 PM

ive heard the deere net has dust/powder built in but ive been lied to before. maybe the green guys could verify?.?

#11 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4479 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 05:36 PM

I'm unaware that the Tama net comes with powder incorporated but I learn something new quite often

#12 JOR Farm

JOR Farm

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Alabama

Posted 05 May 2021 - 07:38 PM

I have never seen anything added to JD brand.

#13 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8679 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 07 May 2021 - 06:14 AM

swmnhay

What does your 4' wide edge to edge costs per ft?

.0203 per ft

pallet price plus shipping

#14 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8679 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 07 May 2021 - 06:17 AM

Yeah I got the last roll of 64" they had. It's my understanding that there's a big cargo shipping issue right now. I checked the package and Tama is an overseas made product so getting more later on could be a problem. So I've got the Tama for now, I'll look into pritchett too, everyone seems to like it.

Another reason I had asked about using it was I know in other industries the "name brand" is sometimes made to different standards so I wasn't sure if store bought Tama which is blue/white is any different quality than the green/yellow stuff.

Tama makes some cheaper stuff also,Iv'e seen it in some farm supply stores.Rolls are very light,but its cheaper!

Has a different name on it but in fine print it says Tama

#15 swall01

swall01

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 07 May 2021 - 07:02 AM

Tama makes some cheaper stuff also,Iv'e seen it in some farm supply stores.Rolls are very light,but its cheaper!

Has a different name on it but in fine print it says Tama

speaking to weight: i have found crossing below 90 lbs per roll on the 51x9840 doesnt meet quality standards for my operation with multiple handlings and dumping from rail type trailer. in the last few years i tried 5 different brands. i am only happy with 2 of those. Tytan and BaleTuff(Jones). both are right at 100 lb per roll. i admit i didnt try the deere, tama or pritchet but would bet they are good if over 90 lbs.

being that all my equip is new holland. my baler would probably grenade on me if i cussed it with a roll of deere net. :P

#16 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4479 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 07:18 AM

.0203 per ft

pallet price plus shipping

Your price is cheaper than what I paid at local JD dealer. I booked my netwrap in December 48''X13,200' edge to edge for $0.0234 per ft. I picked/paid for my netwrap order up last week. On subject of weight of rolls vs strength of fiber is addressed by Tama in photo below.

Attached Files

#17 swall01

swall01

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 07 May 2021 - 08:50 AM

Your price is cheaper than what I paid at local JD dealer. I booked my netwrap in December 48''X13,200' edge to edge for $0.0234 per ft. I picked/paid for my netwrap order up last week. On subject of weight of rolls vs strength of fiber is addressed by Tama in photo below.

interesting. what does a roll of the tama weigh?

#18 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4479 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 09:10 AM

interesting. what does a roll of the tama weigh?

My researching skills leave a lot to be desired but I couldn't locate the weight of Tama rolls of net. While searching for roll weights I noticed the statement I previously posted.

#19 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2031 posts
  • LocationNorthwest PA. Warren County.

Posted 07 May 2021 - 09:40 AM

Just a couple links I came across. I doubt of any use.

https://www.tama.co....-manufacturing/

https://www.tama.co....nowledge-guide/

#20 swall01

swall01

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 07 May 2021 - 03:12 PM

My researching skills leave a lot to be desired but I couldn't locate the weight of Tama rolls of net. While searching for roll weights I noticed the statement I previously posted.

have you got a new roll? toss it on some scales. my curiosity has peaked.

one of the brands i didnt like was from a local supply company. i weighed it before opening, #55 lbs. made it real easy to handle but found out real fast it was a bad idea. i normally put 2.5 laps on for coastal. it popped as the gate was opening. 2 bales later wound up getting to 5 laps to hold it together. even then had to handle very gingerly. after 9 months outside the top of the bales are bare, no net. had to move to cows with pallet forks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors