Leasing land for Hay production (or other options) - Alfalfa/Hay - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

Leasing land for Hay production (or other options)

hay lease rent

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KSFarm

KSFarm

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 05 April 2021 - 03:42 PM

Hi - Brand new here! We have some family land (~40 acres in KS) where a portion has been used for Hay production in the past. We would like the land to be used, in some capacity and would be nice to have some income from it.

It might also be possible to run cattle on it, but would need new fencing for that I would assume. It has a creek and pond on the property.

Does it make sense to get a Farm appraisal on the land to find out what all it could be used for? Or just find a local leasing agent who might be more familar with the area. I had no trouble finding an appraiser, but how would I go about finding the right type of leasing agent?

Any help or insight is much appreciated!

#2 Markpnw

Markpnw

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • LocationEastern Washington

Posted 05 April 2021 - 03:52 PM

First time of hearing of a leasing agent for farm ground. 40 acres is not much and most people who farm parcels that size do it for free or tops $20-30 an acre. You can also get a deal by getting a percentage of the hay. I’m in Eastern WA so it might be totally different in your area.
  • HayMike likes this

#3 siscofarms

siscofarms

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCRAYNE KENTUCKY 42033

Posted 06 April 2021 - 08:31 AM

County AG agent . Call and have them come out . They will help you out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors