• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Conversion junkie

Conversion junkie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 04 April 2021 - 01:49 PM

New stand planted in September had a soil test and all was good now I’ve noticed about half the field is 18 tall and budding and the rest is only 8/12 inches tall no buds but have a weevil problem should I just cut it now before they destroy it even though it’s early then top dress fertilizer to try to even it out or spray for bugs (not sure of the cutting restrictions after spraying) thanks for any advice
  • Conversion junkie likes this

#2 mstuck21

mstuck21

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 04 April 2021 - 07:31 PM

I’d spray for weevil and see what the next couple weeks brings.. maybe half the field will be blooming and the other half will be budding.. if the portion that is 8 in tall starts blooming then you know that’s all you were going to get height-wise and knock it off ..it’s early wait and see imho

#3 siscofarms

siscofarms

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCRAYNE KENTUCKY 42033

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:33 AM

Them little buggers are the reason I quit growing alfalfa unless its in a mix . If every spring was like this one Id still have it because you could get a sprayer across the field . But this is sadly not the case . 

As far as your question , being that your where you are , Cut it . Pasture it if thats possible , Just do something to get the next growth started . Next year just spray it . Dont wait on the weevil to show up , or it will be a repeat of this year . 

#4 Deutsch Farmer

Deutsch Farmer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSouthern Indiana

Posted 07 April 2021 - 02:52 PM

There is a hold time after you spray before you can cut to be safe to feed so make sure to figure that.

We had a really bad resistance last year.  We sprayed some cuttings twice in a 3 weeks period and couldn't kill the little devils.

I hope you have better luck.  Hopefully, that brutally cold two weeks will knock them back this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors