what summer annual can I plant without a conditioner - Alfalfa/Hay - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

what summer annual can I plant without a conditioner

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 treyrooster

treyrooster

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • LocationAnderson, AL

Posted 01 April 2021 - 08:19 AM

I have recently leased 52 acres for hay it has had cows for the last 25 years. It was over grazed and neglected so most of what is left is weeds. I plan on sewing this fall with fescue but I need something that will make hay this summer. The property is in North Alabama. I do not have a conditioner just disc mowers and a tedder. Is there anything i can drill and still use my current equipment. 

#2 siscofarms

siscofarms

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCRAYNE KENTUCKY 42033

Posted 01 April 2021 - 08:45 AM

You can plant anything you want if you have the patience . A tedder is a very useful tool . BUT , what are you feeding ? are you selling ? what kind of bale are you making ? Teff is a nice horse quality hay although very finikie to plant and get started . If cows , you have your millets and sudans and peas .  Hopefully you will change your mind about the fescue this fall . lots of other grasses out there  ;)

#3 treyrooster

treyrooster

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • LocationAnderson, AL

Posted 01 April 2021 - 09:00 AM

it will be for cattle hay, not to sell, and I make a 5x5 with jd 557. I called the extension office and he said the next field he saw with a good stand of teff would be his first. I was under the impression that most of the millets and sudan grasses would need conditioned. 

#4 Hayman1

Hayman1

Gourmet Horse Hay Producer

• Members
  • 2750 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted 01 April 2021 - 05:47 PM

I would plant teff and try to get access to a wrapper for some of it.  I don’t have cattle so no way to feed wrapped teff but always thought that was a way to manage it in a pinch 

#5 Hayman1

Hayman1

Gourmet Horse Hay Producer

• Members
  • 2750 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted 01 April 2021 - 05:48 PM

I don’t think a roll conditioner does much and I didn’t have my krone when I was growing teff

#6 TJ Hendren

TJ Hendren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 380 posts
  • LocationN.E. Okla

Posted 01 April 2021 - 07:31 PM

Think about crabgrass, easy to grow, it does like fertilizer though, everything likes it, but it does take a while to dry down 3-5 days. Let it go to seed once during the season where you are located with adequate moisture 3-4 cutting are not out of the question, ( it still makes good hay), and it will come on again when fescue goes into its summer slump the next year. If you can bring yourself to try it you will probably like it.

#7 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15710 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 02 April 2021 - 07:15 AM

Foxtail, Browntop, and other thin stemmed millets would not have to be conditioned. Pearl millet could use conditioning. 

Trouble with some of the thin stemmed millets is that they lodge terribly about the time you get ready to mow. Usually an afternoon thunderstorm will do you in. 

Do you have a neighbor that you could hire to condition mow sudan for you if planted?

Regards, Mike

#8 siscofarms

siscofarms

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCRAYNE KENTUCKY 42033

Posted 02 April 2021 - 08:48 AM

For cows and easy to put up and makes good hay is beans and millet . I use the black forage bean and foxtail millet . Depending how your going to store it , inside or outside , and if outside , are you using net wrap . Anyway , consider all that and that can determine how much of  it you store outside , more of the millet to help protect the bale . if inside you can go more beans for feed value . Ted it within the first day or 2 with a dew on it because like any legume , your trying to bale all the leaves you can , and it will cure out , usually around here in 4 days , no conditioner . It will also set you up pretty good as far as planting your fall grass . 

#9 ttazzman

ttazzman

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • LocationSW MO

Posted 02 April 2021 - 12:27 PM

Look at annual rye grass
  • ttazzman likes this

#10 treyrooster

treyrooster

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • LocationAnderson, AL

Posted 02 April 2021 - 01:28 PM

Think about crabgrass, easy to grow, it does like fertilizer though, everything likes it, but it does take a while to dry down 3-5 days. Let it go to seed once during the season where you are located with adequate moisture 3-4 cutting are not out of the question, ( it still makes good hay), and it will come on again when fescue goes into its summer slump the next year. If you can bring yourself to try it you will probably like it.

how many tons per acre per cutting does it produce?

#11 treyrooster

treyrooster

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • LocationAnderson, AL

Posted 02 April 2021 - 08:00 PM

How many tons per acre per cutting will fertilized crab grass produce?

#12 69zfarmer

69zfarmer

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • LocationHazel Green in North Alabama

Posted 09 April 2021 - 05:14 AM

Another vote for crabgrass here. I live close to you and it works well for me. Call Clemons and Hamner they have the best price on Red River Valley.

#13 69zfarmer

69zfarmer

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • LocationHazel Green in North Alabama

Posted 09 April 2021 - 05:15 AM

I raised beans and millet last year. And deer ate my beans and army worms ate my millet. Never again.

• Vol likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors