Price to charge for cutting hay - Alfalfa/Hay - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

Price to charge for cutting hay

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ChestnutHillFarm

ChestnutHillFarm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 10:08 AM

Hello everyone - new to the forum. We have about 6 acres of pasture that we just acquired from a previous horse owner. He stated that he planted “high-quality bluegrass and fescue”. The field looks lush and green. we don’t plan on using the field for the next few years and someone has approached us to cut it for hay and to pay us a fee. How much is a reasonable price to ask for per acre? Is the price per cutting or for the entire year? New to this and trying to learn. Thank you so much and I appreciate any help you can provide.

#2 8350HiTech

8350HiTech

Hay Master

• Members
  • 5377 posts
  • LocationOrrstown, PA

Posted 27 March 2021 - 11:12 AM

This could be anywhere from nothing to hundreds of dollars per acre. Your location matters a lot.
  • Vol and dvcochran like this

#3 ttazzman

ttazzman

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • LocationSW MO

Posted 27 March 2021 - 11:47 AM

Around here hay is cut on shares usually with the agreement that the hay person will buy back the landowners shares at market

#4 Trillium Farm

Trillium Farm

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationDurham Region/Southern Ontario

Posted 27 March 2021 - 01:07 PM

It varies from situation, location, weather etc.

You can contract by the acre and number of cuts or by the nbr of bales.

Generally if by the acre it's by the cut (2 cuts pays twice, 3 cuts thrice etc amount to be determined)

But it's really up to the individuals to come to an agreement, same for fertilizing

#5 Ox76

Ox76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • Locationwest central MO

Posted 27 March 2021 - 01:48 PM

You can do an internet search for "custom rates for farm services" near you, usually through an extension of a nearby college or similar.  It'll give you an idea about leasing, renting, services, etc.  They're usually from last year or before so things like increase in fuel costs this year will have an impact.  

#6 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15710 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 27 March 2021 - 02:56 PM

When your buyer removes the hay, he is also removing very valuable nutrients of Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and Potash. These 3 amendments alone have skyrocketed this year with the probability of further price increases. These must be replaced every year when you remove hay from the field. Like was mentioned earlier, your location(state) is critical in evaluations. 

Regards, Mike

• paoutdoorsman and TJ Hendren like this

#7 Stxpecans123

Stxpecans123

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 March 2021 - 09:00 AM

I wouldn't waste my time on 6 acres.
  • gosh likes this

#8 siscofarms

siscofarms

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCRAYNE KENTUCKY 42033

Posted 28 March 2021 - 09:29 AM

If your not interested in any of the hay you need to charge by the bale no matter what shape and size . And as VOL said , Is the buyer fertilizing it or does that fall back on you ? Lots to consider here . And by all means , before you give him the OK to do what ever , Get it in writing , a legal binding , no matter if its your best buddy from birth . 

#9 Hayjosh

Hayjosh

• Members
  • 996 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 28 March 2021 - 08:25 PM

I hay two fields I pay absolutely nothing for--the owner is just delighted I keep the ground mowed and in good care, and another field I pay $50/acre/year for, and that owner is also tickled at how much I've improved the land.

In haying it they're doing you a favor as well by keeping it mowed down and keeping weeds from taking over.

If somebody does hay it you need to require that they fertilize it every year, otherwise they will mine the soil.

Instead of charging by acre you could also do a split and keep 1/3 of the hay and sell it yourself, which will probably get you more than a year's worth of land rent.

• gosh likes this

#10 dvcochran

dvcochran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 28 March 2021 - 08:31 PM

Hello everyone - new to the forum. We have about 6 acres of pasture that we just acquired from a previous horse owner. He stated that he planted “high-quality bluegrass and fescue”. The field looks lush and green. we don’t plan on using the field for the next few years and someone has approached us to cut it for hay and to pay us a fee. How much is a reasonable price to ask for per acre? Is the price per cutting or for the entire year? New to this and trying to learn. Thank you so much and I appreciate any help you can provide.

To "get all the liars in the same room" I think the easiest and fairest was to do it is by the roll. Of course roll size would be a factor. You could break it down to tonnage if easier for you. 

Since the field is an unknown on yield the first year is really a wildcard. I would pull a soil sample and see where it stands. You may be better off getting lime/fertilizer for free. 

Like others have said your location and market play a Big factor. 

#11 Markpnw

Markpnw

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • LocationEastern Washington

Posted 07 April 2021 - 05:07 PM

I farm 40 acres of alfalfa don’t pay a dime

#12 Beav

Beav

• Members
  • 675 posts
  • Locationlockport il

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:46 PM

we pay for all the fertilizer and buy your 1/3 of the hay out of the field or you can keep your 1/3 of the hay for yourself

#13 Ridgefarmer63

Ridgefarmer63

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 15 April 2021 - 07:55 PM

Like others have said, hard tellin' not knowin'.

I hay six different fields. The best one is 8 acres and I give the guy a cord of wood. Green. $250.00 value. The other fields ranging in size from 6 acres to 30 acres I just maintain the fields. Sometimes I might give them a small care package of beef for Christmas. 

IDK. Ain't no money in farmin' !!    :-)

• Tx Jim likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors