2nd Cutting Nitrogen Rates Per Acre and Machine Setting Limits - Alfalfa/Hay - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

2nd Cutting Nitrogen Rates Per Acre and Machine Setting Limits

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 VA Haymaker

VA Haymaker

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1439 posts
  • LocationCentral Western VA

Posted 24 March 2021 - 01:14 PM

Typically I read folks put down 30 actual pounds of fertilizer per acre after first cut - going into second cut.

To simplify this discussion, if the rate were 46 actual pounds, and urea 46-0-0 were used - you would need to put down 100 pounds per acre to achieve 46 actual pounds of nitrogen applied.

I was talking to our coop about this and he made it sound darn near impossible to dial back their buggies or trucks to a rate of  100 lbs per acre of 46-0-0 to achieve 46 actual pounds.  So I looked at my new Kubota spreader and the settings for 100 lbs bulk fertilizer are near the lower limit - so much so that they recommend blocking off 2 of the 3 outlets to allow the 3rd outlet to be opened further and prevent clogging.

So I'm curious - what fertilizer you are using on second cutting hay, i.e. 46-0-0, how many actual pounds you're putting down in bulk, i.e. 100 lbs 46-0-0 to achieve 46 actual pounds of fertilizer AND how do you back your fertilizer spread setting down or if it will even go this low without clogging.  What is your MPH crossing the field when fertilizing.  Our limit is 4.3 MPH due to our irregular/lumpy fields.

Just curious.

Thanks!

Bill 

#2 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2013 posts
  • LocationNorthwest PA. Warren County.

Posted 24 March 2021 - 01:49 PM

100 lbs to the acre for urea is common in this area even with the coop spreaders. Most years I’m putting on urea at 100 lbs to the acre. Last year I decided it was time to up the yield and went 300 lbs/acre of a 50/50 blend of urea and potash. Will probably continue that into this year.

We usually run about 5 mph.

My pendulum Vicon spreader will do grass seeds so no issues if I wanted to spread lower amounts

#3 PaulN

PaulN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 291 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, MN

Posted 24 March 2021 - 02:34 PM

I put on 30# of N per acre, but not just N. I use a blend of NP&K+Sulfer+boron. The total pounds of material per acre is just over 300#

#4 Hayman1

Hayman1

Gourmet Horse Hay Producer

• Members
  • 2750 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted 24 March 2021 - 02:59 PM

Typically 65# n, as treated urea, you can use ammonium sulfate to increase you bulk but you will have to lime more often 

#5 ttazzman

ttazzman

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • LocationSW MO

Posted 24 March 2021 - 03:22 PM

i concur with the OP about coop spreaders ......i think on ours ~100#/a is the gate down tight to the chain.....ran one of their buggies yesterday should have looked closer (maybe next time)

i usually combo urea and dap

#6 Hayjosh

Hayjosh

• Members
  • 996 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 24 March 2021 - 08:46 PM

The number I've seen a lot is 80 lbs/acre (urea so approx 40 lb nitrogen/acre) for top dressing after first cut. I spread that last year in a 3 point spreader and hated the experience, so was planning on using the Coop buggy this year. I hope it can go that low. I spread ~6 mph (6th gear on my tractor), which is my raking and tedding speed.

#7 Beav

Beav

• Members
  • 675 posts
  • Locationlockport il

Posted 24 March 2021 - 09:06 PM

40N 30P 60P 100LBs pelleted lime  

#8 TJ Hendren

TJ Hendren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 380 posts
  • LocationN.E. Okla

Posted 25 March 2021 - 08:28 AM

Drive down to the coop and look at the charts on the side of the buggy. A nitrogen source whether its urea, AN or AS will have a weight in the 55 to 60 LBS per cubic foot range and the chart will tell you how low it will go. Where ever it bottoms out is what you will have to live with. Any dealer worth their salt can tell you approximately what any given product or common blend will weigh. 

#9 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 5638 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 25 March 2021 - 09:30 AM

Wig wag vicon of ours works fine at 100 lbs of urea per acre at 5 mph, doesn't want to go much lower without a block off kit.

I'm told some of the disc spreaders can throw urea farther to get lower rates.  Also air boom spreaders that are wide can go lower.

Friend of mine uses liquid urea for low rates, I was talking to him about getting a dissolving tank setup to make our own as he's paying a fortune to get it delivered.  Seems to be the most accurate option for low rates without blending.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors