• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 backcheckus

backcheckus

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBerne, NY

Posted 23 March 2021 - 10:56 PM

I'm brand new to hay farming and want to grow hay on a 6 acre field.  I'm trying to get alittle independance from buying.  I started with a field that was comletely lost to a very thick infiltration of weed.  Field was 5 feet high.  I mowed it and waited until it started to grow back and then burnt it with roundup.  There was some straglers that I uses 2-4D on.  I then ripped the field since it was clay soil followed by a deep tilling.  Got my soil samples back and the numbers are good enough for now.  I planted 50 % orchard 30% timothy rye and Kentucky blue The snow has just left us and the field since we are in upstate NY. The field currently looks like a lawn.  My question is:  when should I do the first mowing ?  Is there any rule regarding mowing hay after the first planting?  I don't need the hay at this time.  Should I let go longer than baling height be let it thicken up?  Any and allsuggestions will be appreciated. ...rookie here.

• BisonMan likes this

#2 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2013 posts
  • LocationNorthwest PA. Warren County.

Posted 24 March 2021 - 04:43 AM

You won't be baling hay until June...if the weather cooperates. Just leave it and let it grow. 

• backcheckus and BisonMan like this

#3 Hayjosh

Hayjosh

• Members
  • 996 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 24 March 2021 - 09:37 PM

You'll know when it needs mowed, because there will be 10 days of rain in the forecast. If I get first cut on Memorial Day that's golden, usually weather doesn't cooperate.

• backcheckus likes this

#4 Blancober

Blancober

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 09 April 2021 - 10:12 AM

It really is good to also have a tiny home garden and spend a bit of time tending to it so that you can enjoy not just to fresh fruits and vegetables but also a beautiful picture created by a plant. I also have nice garden at my house in Arizona, and it costs me about 2-3 days to care for it each week when I go there, and it makes me feel more than just sitting on the sofa and watching Netflix. However yet another thing I thought is that, for some reason, all of the tools I purchased 2 months later cracked, and the only tool which still works perfectly is a pair of grass nail clippers that I purchased for around $30. It isn't an amount of cash, but they function beautifully even if I used them frequently. If you want to buy them, I'll leave you a hausandgarten.com because it's a cool product for which I'm willing to pay more.

#5 paoutdoorsman

paoutdoorsman

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1394 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 10 April 2021 - 06:28 AM

Seems like you've got it covered.  You might want to give it some fertilizer very soon if you haven't done so already to give it a healthy boost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors