Custom harvest with a walker combine - Custom Harvesting - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

Custom harvest with a walker combine

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 19foggwa

19foggwa

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Locationindiana

Posted 23 March 2021 - 08:14 PM

I'm looking at some different ways to expand and grow my straw operation this summer. Last year we baled about 9000 small squares of wheat straw, but I had some trouble selling it in a timely fashion. I think the problem was that it was baled in a rotary combine so it was short, chopped up straw and not a lot of horse guys wanted it. I know I have a market for the long straw bales, I just don't have a straw walker combine to harvest the wheat. Does anyone on here know anybody with a straw walker combine that would harvest about 60 acres of wheat this summer? Or possibly rent? Just trying to think of all my options. I'm located in Greensburg In.

#2 danwi

danwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 429 posts
  • Locationwi

Posted 24 March 2021 - 02:54 PM

Have to find someone with an older combine, doubt they are out looking for custom work. John Deere made walker machines into the 50 series 9550, 9650, 9750. I have found that i personally like bedding chopped a little. With the rotaries it depends on how ripe the crop is and how the combine is set, as to how much the straw is chopped. Most operators try to put the grain in the bin and don't worry about the straw. Have one guy around here that has a JD9600 with a 25 ft head and he runs the straw thru the chopper then goes back and rakes windrows as needed

#3 carcajou

carcajou

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1847 posts
  • LocationALBERTA

Posted 25 March 2021 - 09:35 AM

JD 9660W  are walker machines too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors