Liquid/soluble Fertilizer recommendations - Alfalfa/Hay - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

Liquid/soluble Fertilizer recommendations

Hay field

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Agineering

Agineering

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 23 March 2021 - 12:41 PM

Greetings,

I would really appreciate any help in get our field back in shape. We're located east Texas and trying to get better quality hay for our horses grazing and bales some. Please help me choose the best fertilizers while staying economical efficient. Fertilizers need to be liquid or soluble to be able to spray them using the Enduraplas FieldBoss sprayer. Thanks!

Attached Files

#2 Ox76

Ox76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • Locationwest central MO

Posted 23 March 2021 - 01:50 PM

I've heard tell about molasses and epsom salt sprayed on mixed with water.  

• siscofarms likes this

#3 Agineering

Agineering

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 23 March 2021 - 02:00 PM

[quote name="Ox76" post="1018340" timestamp="1616525418"]

Thanks for the reply, but I'm mainly looking for actual N, P and K fertilizers.

#4 Jimmy Bartlett

Jimmy Bartlett

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • LocationIowa Falls, Iowa

Posted 23 March 2021 - 02:02 PM

32% UAN and 10-34-0 are the fairly common liquid fertilizer solutions (here in central Iowa) that could work for your N & P.  you may want to get a set of stream nozzles for the sprayer.  K is normally spread as granular potash.  To me the 5.8 pH says that lime is needed soon although i see the test does not show a lime recommendation.  

#5 Agineering

Agineering

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 23 March 2021 - 02:21 PM

32% UAN and 10-34-0 are the fairly common liquid fertilizer solutions (here in central Iowa) that could work for your N & P. you may want to get a set of stream nozzles for the sprayer. K is normally spread as granular potash. To me the 5.8 pH says that lime is needed soon although i see the test does not show a lime recommendation.

May I ask why UAN, not UREA? Does the UAN32 comes in a liquid form or do I have to mix it with water? If I needed to be mixed, what is the best way and at what's the ratio?

#6 Jimmy Bartlett

Jimmy Bartlett

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • LocationIowa Falls, Iowa

Posted 23 March 2021 - 02:35 PM

the UAN32 is a urea ammonium nitrate solution (liquid) with 32% nitrogen.  11lbs/gal = 3.5 lbs N per gallon.  There is also a 28% nitrogen solution that may include sulfur.  My suggestion is to find your local suppliers & see what they carry.

• mstuck21 likes this

#7 weatherman

weatherman

• Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationMiami County Ohio

Posted 02 April 2021 - 05:54 PM

When I pulled soil samples to achieve a result the lab basis the recommendation on what is grown (i.e. alfalfa, grass ect). I did not see what is being grown in the pics provided. Even though a 5.8 ph may seem low even for grass or corn it is extremely low for alfalfa. What are you producing?

#8 Agineering

Agineering

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 02 April 2021 - 06:16 PM

Brimudagrass. Wish if we can grow Alfalfa, as it's what our horse eats, mainly.

Can anyone please post an average cost of liquid nitrogen by gallon, 30 gallons or whatever they're available in. Can I just get UREA 46 and spray it? How many 50lbs bag I can dilute in a 100 gallon tank?

Is there's any recommendations for the liquid/sprayable P and K

Thanks!

#9 Mellow

Mellow

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNorth Central MD

Posted 12 April 2021 - 02:44 PM

Providing link for the stream bars mentioned above.  They do work well for the liquid UAN application and are very accurate.  You most likely won't get K in a liquid fertilizer unless you want a small amount to foliar feed.

https://store.needha...nozzle-spacing/

#10 vhaby

vhaby

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1050 posts
  • LocationNE of Tyler, TX

Posted 12 April 2021 - 05:28 PM

Brimudagrass. Wish if we can grow Alfalfa, as it's what our horse eats, mainly.

Can anyone please post an average cost of liquid nitrogen by gallon, 30 gallons or whatever they're available in. Can I just get UREA 46 and spray it? How many 50lbs bag I can dilute in a 100 gallon tank?

Is there's any recommendations for the liquid/sprayable P and K

Thanks!

Where in Texas?

I'm growing alfalfa near Tyler.

If you are close, Goldwater Ag on Hwy 64 west from Tyler handles liquid fertilizers mentioned above.

#11 Agineering

Agineering

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 13 April 2021 - 08:49 AM

Where in Texas?
I'm growing alfalfa near Tyler.

If you are close, Goldwater Ag on Hwy 64 west from Tyler handles liquid fertilizers mentioned above.

Greenville TX. We're about 60 miles from Goldwater Ag and I actually had driven by couple of times.

How's growing alfalfa going for you? To be honest, I didn't even know it's possible to grow it in Texas.

• Agineering likes this

#12 Agineering

Agineering

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 13 April 2021 - 08:57 AM

I would love to know more about growing alfalfa if anyone has anything to say about it. Thanks!

#13 scout

scout

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 April 2021 - 09:42 PM

Call Helena in Greenville. They'll help you out. Fertilizer is very high right now so be ready; not a good time to get a field in shape.

"Bermuda grass" and you can grow alfalfa there. There's a guy on I-30 in Greenville that grows it or used to anyway. Alfalfa is difficult here. Too much rain in the winter/spring and not enough in the summer, unless you have irrigation. If you're on sandier ground, you have a better chance with the rain, but less in the summer without it. If you're on blackland (clay), be ready for a headache because it's always too much rain or eventually not enough. Insects are terrible; I spray for them every cutting. There's also cotton root rot that you can't do much about unless you want to put $40 more per acre for "maybe" control. I've lost entire fields to it within three years. 

You can get N, P, and K in liquid, either soil applied or foliar. For this year, I'd recommend a 26-10-10 blend per cutting. Then apply the bulk of your P and K as dry fertilizer in late fall and use straight nitrogen or something like a 26-10-10 the following year. There's also endless foliar options available that may be a good way to get your P and K per cutting for this year (it won't help your soil any though). Like others said, I don't know why they didn't recommend lime. 

Good luck. 

• Agineering likes this

#14 Agineering

Agineering

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:05 AM

Call Helena in Greenville. They'll help you out. Fertilizer is very high right now so be ready; not a good time to get a field in shape.

"Bermuda grass" and you can grow alfalfa there. There's a guy on I-30 in Greenville that grows it or used to anyway. Alfalfa is difficult here. Too much rain in the winter/spring and not enough in the summer, unless you have irrigation. If you're on sandier ground, you have a better chance with the rain, but less in the summer without it. If you're on blackland (clay), be ready for a headache because it's always too much rain or eventually not enough. Insects are terrible; I spray for them every cutting. There's also cotton root rot that you can't do much about unless you want to put $40 more per acre for "maybe" control. I've lost entire fields to it within three years.

You can get N, P, and K in liquid, either soil applied or foliar. For this year, I'd recommend a 26-10-10 blend per cutting. Then apply the bulk of your P and K as dry fertilizer in late fall and use straight nitrogen or something like a 26-10-10 the following year. There's also endless foliar options available that may be a good way to get your P and K per cutting for this year (it won't help your soil any though). Like others said, I don't know why they didn't recommend lime.

Good luck.

Scout,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed answer. I really appreciate it!

-Do you spray anything besides the 2-4 D for herbicides?
-May I ask, what do you use for pesticides?
-what is the name of the treatment used to control the cotton root rot?

*FYI, I do have an applicator license, so I should be able to get the "good stuff"

Thank you in advance!

#15 vhaby

vhaby

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1050 posts
  • LocationNE of Tyler, TX

Posted 15 April 2021 - 10:10 AM

I would love to know more about growing alfalfa if anyone has anything to say about it. Thanks!

Start with reading/studying this article found on the Texas A&M AgriLife Research and Extension Center website, Overton.tamu.edu

http://agrilife.org/...sforAlfalfa.pdf

You will need to right click on this site and open in new window. If you still want to know more about growing alfalfa on acid soils I might be able to help. By the way, in more than 25 different studies of alfalfa research on acid soils, and on my alfalfa field, I have not experienced 'cotton root rot' alfalfa root rot. Cotton root rot in alfalfa occurs on alkaline Blackland soils.

#16 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 5638 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 15 April 2021 - 04:54 PM

Just saw this, how many acres? That’s a long day putting liquid N on with a UTV sprayer if more than a few acres. Dry urea and spinner spreader much more economical here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors