Effects of Border Traffic on Texas Ranches - General Ranching - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo

Effects of Border Traffic on Texas Ranches

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cactus50

Cactus50

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 15 March 2021 - 08:29 PM

Not sure if your local news covers what is going on down on the border but it's having some very negative effects on ranches in South Texas. Ranchers are finding fences cut on a daily and nightly basis. The trafficers leave the fences down and leave big gaps through which cattle and other livestock as well as deer that have been managed for years escape to the neighbors or get loose on highways. Ranchers are worried that this will all drive down ranch values, and it will. Think about it, who would want to buy a ranch when you have no control of your fence lines or that you may have uninvited guests showing up at you front door anytime day or night. If you're an absentee owner like I am, you never know what you will find when you get back to your ranch.  Does no good to call law enforcement as they are already swamped. It's a pretty sad scene that mainstream media is not covering. 

#2 Ray 54

Ray 54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 368 posts
  • LocationPaso Robles Ca

Posted 15 March 2021 - 10:01 PM

I sure feel for all that have to deal with such things. But the higher ups want to move us all into cities to better "take care" of us anyway. As well as the 30 x30 plan to protect 30% of the country as wild lands by 2030. It all ends badly if people don't wake up real soon. 

• Cactus50 likes this

#3 DSLinc1017

DSLinc1017

Hay Hoser

• Members
  • 995 posts
  • LocationChamplain Valley, Vermont

Posted 16 March 2021 - 10:46 AM

This effects all of us!  We hear you in the north.  Its not right, just as us going into Canada illegally.  They don't stand for it as we shouldn't.  

We are getting it in the news too.  

#4 Cactus50

Cactus50

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 16 March 2021 - 11:50 AM

@ DSLinc1017 Thanks and yes it will effect the entire county in the not too distant future. Sometimes I think folks up north think it's just a border states problem but the fact is the migration moves north every time. It wouldn't be so bad if it were an orderly entry into our county without it taking 7 years to become a citizen, but when it's thousands every month undocumented with no place to go they end up overloading our system to the point you and I pay for it. Many come over thankful and are hard workers, but as some of our local contractors state, most eventually learn the system. Sad

• Vol and DSLinc1017 like this

#5 DSLinc1017

DSLinc1017

Hay Hoser

• Members
  • 995 posts
  • LocationChamplain Valley, Vermont

Posted 16 March 2021 - 12:45 PM

@ DSLinc1017 Thanks and yes it will effect the entire county in the not too distant future. Sometimes I think folks up north think it's just a border states problem but the fact is the migration moves north every time. It wouldn't be so bad if it were an orderly entry into our county without it taking 7 years to become a citizen, but when it's thousands every month undocumented with no place to go they end up overloading our system to the point you and I pay for it. Many come over thankful and are hard workers, but as some of our local contractors state, most eventually learn the system. Sad

Nicely put, and agree 110% with you.   I want to believe that for most of the country we all see this as an issue.    I am a business owner (much different than farming), we have to jump through hoops to make sure the people we hire are legal,  A system I respect and adhere to with diligence.  What confuses me is why do business continue to work around the system, obviously to make a buck on the backs of the rest of us. 

My great, great ,grand parents were immigrants.  They followed the system and here I am.    

All I can say is that the State of Vermont has been diligent in cracking down on all aspects of the business community including migrant workers and farms.   Some have paid the price and put us all on a even playing field (so to speak) 

Safest Regards, 

Michael  

• Cactus50 likes this

#6 Cactus50

Cactus50

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 01 April 2021 - 06:58 AM

Two days ago we had border jumpers in a stolen pickup drive through the south fence on the ranch just south of me then drove through the fence on the ranch on my east fence and then blew past the gate guard. Two days prior to that there was a "bail out" on a ranch to my southwest; about 15 people. They ended up passing through my uncle's ranch and kept heading north. Yesterday 5 were caught breaking in vehicles at a restaurant in town in broad daylight. Law enforcement caught all five. Not sure if they were able to keep them or had to let them go. It's not a fun time to be a ranch owner in south Texas. I had an officer tell me many were being loaded up in buses with blacked out windows and are being taken to other states. Is this a great country or what?!

Mr/Ms Administrator, this is not fake news!

• ozarkian likes this

#7 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15710 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 02 April 2021 - 03:32 PM

Very disheartening.  I feel your pain when I put my family and I in your place. 

Regards, Mike

#8 RockmartGA

RockmartGA

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1214 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Georgia

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:23 AM

Sad commentary on the current state of this once great nation called America.  Democrats and Republicans have been kicking this can down the road since the ill-advised Amnesty of 1986.  Politicians such as Pelosi and Schumer do not have to live with the consequences of their actions.  Ironic that the swamp creatures surrounded the Capitol building with a fence, armed guards, and 5000 national guard troops, but the citizens on the border are left to fend for themselves.

• Vol and ozarkian like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors