4 replies to this topic

#1 jjb1882

jjb1882

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 07 March 2021 - 08:30 PM

Hi all. 

I purchased an 800 lb bale of hay from out of state recently (also posted about another issue with same bale) and as I was putting flakes away, found a dead black blister beetle.

Never found one in hay before.

This hay is mostly grass hay with only a small amount of alfalfa (I think it is alfalfa)

Should I be concerned? If there is one are there likely to be more? And if I dont see more, is there a greater risk of ground up beetles in the hay?

#2 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10016 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 08 March 2021 - 06:39 AM

Be very concerned......

#3 jjb1882

jjb1882

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 08 March 2021 - 07:36 AM

Be very concerned......

Thank you.

I am not going to take the risk and use this horse for my horses and not sure the seller will accept it back.

Are blister beetles a threat to all animal? Should I just sell this hay as mulch?

#4 Hayman1

Hayman1

Gourmet Horse Hay Producer

• Members
  • 2750 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted 08 March 2021 - 08:59 AM

never seen one dead in hay I made but sometimes they get under sections of hay put in stall.  However, those are live and scurry when the hay moves.

#5 haygrl59

haygrl59

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • LocationVictoria, IL

Posted 14 April 2021 - 03:45 PM

One dead beetle in the hay has enough toxic poison to kill a horse. Best to avoid feeding to a horse. I do not know if it affects other livestock or not. As a courtesy, I would let the seller know. Maybe they would take it back considering the situation. I would be concerned that there are other beetles. Strange that the beetle is in mostly grass as they prefer alfalfa leaves. As a producer, I appreciate customer concerns and we deal with each problem on a case by case situation. Some customers are whiners. This is not a whiner problem. i have read where whole horse barns are wiped out by blister beetles in the hay. Letting the seller know might save them from a lawsuit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors