Indoor Lighting Types and the effects on Hay Storage - Barns, Buildings, and Storage - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

Indoor Lighting Types and the effects on Hay Storage

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RickShoop

RickShoop

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 04:29 PM

Good Afternoon, I am looking for the hands-on experts to weigh in on the yellowing/browning of Hay stored inside a building.  There is a new barn build using LED lighting and the owner has experienced exterior discoloration of the bales...interior is still green.

Any experience with this would be appreciated .

#2 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 5656 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 26 February 2021 - 04:49 PM

We have had to keep it dark as night in the hay barn if we want to avoid discolouration.

#3 Stxpecans123

Stxpecans123

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 February 2021 - 12:09 AM

I hope you guys get a true premium for your hay if y'all's customers are that picky. Not bashing on you at all, just could imagining the customers y'all must have.
  • HayMike likes this

#4 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 5656 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 27 February 2021 - 09:28 AM

Have had lots of top/end bales sent back. Several customers will sort them out of loads.

#5 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15732 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 27 February 2021 - 10:36 AM

Have had lots of top/end bales sent back. Several customers will sort them out of loads.

I have not experienced this even once. Most folks here know to pull some hay out of the bale to see what they are buying....even the most anal horse customers know to do that here. 

Regards, Mike

• mlappin and broadriverhay like this

#6 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4344 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 27 February 2021 - 03:02 PM

I have customers that picky but usually , if i can show just 1 good side that will reflect the quality ,they are ok with that . ,In storage there has to be one good side unless the bale is hanging in mid air buy a sky hook .I  snicker when i  hear a guy say at auction he has hay that is only bleached on the out side and he cant show you a good  side. 

#7 stack em up

stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 3053 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:43 AM

Horses are dichromatic, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen an equine refuse hay due to color. If it did, it must not be too hungry. Feed it some copper and all will be well.

#8 broadriverhay

broadriverhay

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1004 posts
  • LocationJenkinsville , SC

Posted 01 March 2021 - 02:20 PM

I think the discoloration is due to light and humidity.  Even bales at the very back of the barn in minimal light become discolored on the outside. I have always attributed that to humidity, of course I could be wrong. My wife reminds me of that daily. HaHa !! But I have never had a bale returned because of being discolored on the outside. 

I had to google dichromatic !!

#9 broadriverhay

broadriverhay

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1004 posts
  • LocationJenkinsville , SC

Posted 01 March 2021 - 02:25 PM

Remember the post "Have you ever fired a hay customer" .

This would qualify for sure.

• CowboyRam likes this

#10 LeahTerry

LeahTerry

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationMarshall

Posted 19 April 2021 - 03:40 PM

Light has a significant impact on the quality of products, so it will not be possible to completely abandon it. In hay and grain, with a lack of light, the amount of protein decreases and this is a fact. My friend has long been engaged in storing and selling hay, so it is very important for him that the hay looks beautiful and fresh. To do this, he uses very high-quality lighting devices that do not make his hair look bad. He assured me that they are of outstanding quality, and that such reasonable prices compared to the quality are not found anywhere else, so I can advise you on this.

#11 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 11020 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 29 April 2021 - 11:24 PM

Just the nature of the beast, I’ve never worried about it.

All mine is stored in hoop buildings so get a lot of light, when loading for an auction I make sure a few of those bleached bales are showing so no surprises when the load is dumped, still have topped the sale more than once with bleached ones showing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors