• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4311 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 23 February 2021 - 07:04 AM

I have about a 3&1/2 inch super heavy duty internal snap ring to remove and re install. I have it loose it will spin in the groove but I cannot pull it together enough with any of the snap ring pliers I have. I do have what is considered a heavy duty snap ring pliers but it won't do it.. Any tips!

#2 carcajou

carcajou

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1837 posts
  • LocationALBERTA

Posted 23 February 2021 - 07:08 AM

Two pin punches and a vise grip?

• endrow likes this

#3 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3449 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 23 February 2021 - 08:25 AM

You need one of these bad boys.  This is the cheapest I have ever seen them.  https://www.amazon.c...14086554&sr=8-3

• ozarkian, endrow, PaMike and 4 others like this

#4 PaMike

PaMike

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2421 posts
  • LocationLancaster County PA

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:40 AM

You need one of these bad boys.  This is the cheapest I have ever seen them.  https://www.amazon.c...14086554&sr=8-3

Yup, Thats what you need. If you have any friends that work on heavy equipment or tracked skidsteers they should have one. A lot of planetary covers are held on with big snap rings...

• endrow likes this

#5 51cub

51cub

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCanaan NH

Posted 23 February 2021 - 04:49 PM

If it's internal be careful to find some that will clear whatever housing you're reaching into. I struggled for a long time looking for ones that would work on the Ford front hubs where you got to clear both the housing and the axle. I finally got a set from the Mac guy when he came in that worked

• endrow likes this

#6 pettibone

pettibone

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • Locationwestern maine

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:01 PM

Not that I have any but I was also looking for some that would remove the Ford front wheel snap ring. The info I found all seemed to recommend ones from Harbor freight but haven't got any to try.

#7 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 5579 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 25 February 2021 - 01:29 PM

I had big one in a front tractor axle, ground tips into pins on a broken big needle nose pliers to fit the 3/16” eyes without slipping off, added handle extensions.

Have used a few times.

#8 seventyfourci

seventyfourci

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Locationnorth texas

Posted 06 March 2021 - 01:43 AM

I have a snap ring pliers set made by blue point it has 3 sets in the box all 3 have interchangeable tips 3 different sizes for each set of pliers. The largest set of pliers have a locking mechanism that will hold the snap rings where you want them and each set is bidirectional. They have served me well for probably 20 years.

• U Lazy V Ranch likes this

#9 Stxpecans123

Stxpecans123

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 March 2021 - 07:26 AM

I have a snap ring pliers set made by blue point it has 3 sets in the box all 3 have interchangeable tips 3 different sizes for each set of pliers. The largest set of pliers have a locking mechanism that will hold the snap rings where you want them and each set is bidirectional. They have served me well for probably 20 years.

Yes I have that same set and another even bigger ratcheting locking snap ring pliers. I have taken off some seriously massive snap rings. My big pair is probably 30 inches long. About like a big bolt cutter. Don't remember who made it but the matco guy ordered them in for use when I worked in the oil field. We had some canadian equipment and they really liked big snap rings.

I assume you tryed big screw drivers/pry bars and just walking it out that way?

https://www.toolsour...s-p-116563.html

I think this is the same one I have? Looks similar, but it says shipping weight of 5.5lbs I figured they were a little heavier than that.
  • U Lazy V Ranch likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors