Inline Small Squares and Tall Windrows - Machinery - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

Inline Small Squares and Tall Windrows

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 matador

matador

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNW Wyoming

Posted 20 February 2021 - 06:04 PM

This last year, we ran one baler in our small square straw production- a New Holland 276. We used to run a Massey Ferguson 124 before that, and that's all we've ever run for small squares. We need to get a second small square for the coming year- we're wanting to put up a lot more straw, and even do some rounds. But, that's for another topic

It's hard to find machinery out here at all. Of the last five pieces of equipment we bought, four were trucked in from the midwest. Well, transporting a small square baler isn't exactly cheap.... unless it's an inline. We're looking at a couple balers coming up for auction out here, but if those don't work out, we may be forced to order a baler from out of state. Which brings us to the dilemma....

We bale straw that comes from two John Deere combines with 30 foot headers. They leave a big windrow. In 2019, we had to split the windrows in half to be able to bale them. The crop wasn't good this last year, so we were able to go slow enough to bale a whole windrow, but just barely.

My father and I both aren't sure about windrow height with an inline though- his gut feeling is that the windrow is too tall, would hit the front of the tractor, catch, and not work well at all. I think it would clear the tractor (The round baler guys have to clear it somehow), but I'm worried about it not clearing the hitch assembly.

We have two tractors, the shortest of which is an Oliver 1800A with 18.4-34 tires on the back. Do you guys think an inline could work well for us, or do you think it has bad idea written all over it?

#2 8350HiTech

8350HiTech

Hay Master

• Members
  • 5356 posts
  • LocationOrrstown, PA

Posted 20 February 2021 - 08:33 PM

Install some sort of flap under the tractor so there’s nothing to catch on.
  • Snow Farmer likes this

#3 FCF

FCF

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • LocationCampbellsville, Kentucky

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:33 PM

IIRC Gearclash at one time had a picture of the flap he made that went from the front of the tractor to behind the drawbar, was made of about eighth inch plastic and bolted on several places.

#4 matador

matador

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNW Wyoming

Posted 20 February 2021 - 11:27 PM

I’ve heard of those on the round balers, but for some reason never thought about one for a small square. Do you guys think they’d be a good fit for us? We’re looking at a Deere 348 coming up for auction, but if that doesn’t work out, we’re back at square one, and all options are open

#5 Beav

Beav

• Members
  • 668 posts
  • Locationlockport il

Posted 21 February 2021 - 12:33 PM

No dealers in your area? If you buy new they will deliver. I don't run an in-line sm square but on my round baler the plugs under the tractor started at the draw bar hitch pin catching the windrow. If you use as short of a hitch pin as you can to prevent this. Look under the tractor for any place that looks like hay could hang-up and start a plug. I never had to use a shield to prevent plugs under the tractor. Those 30' straw windrows can get large in good wheat. good luck

#6 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4387 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 21 February 2021 - 01:12 PM

Several yrs back I baled some wheat straw with my JD 347 sq baler that was cut with a 30' header.

BE32262 ready made from JD $62.70

Attached Files

#7 matador

matador

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNW Wyoming

Posted 21 February 2021 - 06:35 PM

Wish we had the money for a new baler, but that's not gonna happen. Whatever baler is alongside our 276 this year, it's going to be a bit "experienced"

#8 JOR Farm

JOR Farm

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Alabama

Posted 21 February 2021 - 08:15 PM

Nothing wrong with "experienced" I actually prefer "broke in". I use the same drawbar shield Jim posted the old one I made from a piece of belting but now I have a brand new one that came with my 460M last year. I bale about 7 to 10000 small squares of straw it gets raked with a 12 wheel Kuhn rake makes a pretty big pile about 3 ft wide and a little better than knee high. I bale with 2 different inline balers never had any trouble that wasn't operator error.
  • Vol likes this

#9 paoutdoorsman

paoutdoorsman

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1350 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 21 February 2021 - 08:42 PM

I bale straw behind a 30' head with a Hesston inline.  It uses a 1" bolt as a hitch pin up through the drawbar, and the baler hitch sets on top of the drawbar.  I usually do not have a problem, unless the combine backs up suddenly and doubles up the windrow a bit, which does seem to happen here are there.

#10 Snow Farmer

Snow Farmer

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCentral Britsh Columbia

Posted 21 February 2021 - 08:54 PM

I have one of those rubber flaps, came with my JD 559, would never be without one now.

They're pretty low tech, I would build one from belting before paying 60 bucks for one from a dealer.

• 8350HiTech likes this

#11 matador

matador

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNW Wyoming

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:12 PM

What tractor are you guys running on your inlines? I'm sure I can find something to make a flap out of if needed- I mean, it's called "Farmer ingenuity" for a reason. I once made an auger spot out of an old rubber boot, so.... yeah, I'm fine with making something

Glad to hear that it's been done before- I'd much rather ask than just buy something and find out I bought a machine that wouldn't work well. The shipping difference from an inline to conventional is just so much that if I can't find something locally, I think it would be the way I'd have to go

#12 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1979 posts
  • LocationNorthwest PA. Warren County.

Posted 22 February 2021 - 05:43 AM

The flap that came with my baler still sits in the garage in its plastic bag. We had flaps cut out of tire tubes back in the day for raking with the rollabar. 

#13 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15653 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 22 February 2021 - 06:09 AM

Old truck mudflaps work well. 

Regards, Mike

#14 paoutdoorsman

paoutdoorsman

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1350 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 22 February 2021 - 07:59 AM

What tractor are you guys running on your inlines?

I'm running a Deere 6420 with 18.4R34's.  Drawbar is lower than the same tractor with 18.4R38's, but that's the one I have setup for the Bale Bandit.  Mostly not an issue.

#15 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3449 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:21 AM

IIRC Gearclash at one time had a picture of the flap he made that went from the front of the tractor to behind the drawbar, was made of about eighth inch plastic and bolted on several places.

Attached File  0B6A20B3-7729-489D-8F57-B54A7A7A1BBF.jpeg   125.68KB   0 downloadsAttached File  349A4035-6B96-45B4-A4F4-98B0167364F5.jpeg   108.3KB   0 downloads

I don’t think the OP is going to need to go to this extreme.  Straw tends to be quite slippery and will not wad up under the tractor like hay, especially alfalfa will.  For what its worth, neither of my round baler tractors have this skid and there are times we waddle over windrows made of 60’ of cornstalks.

#16 SVFHAY

SVFHAY

• Members
  • 1329 posts
  • LocationWestern Pa.

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:34 AM

I think you'll be okay with the suggestions offered especially if it's a rotor combine. If it were me I would buy the baler with the widest pickup I could get.

#17 JOR Farm

JOR Farm

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 08:49 PM

My baler tractor is really an oddball for this neck of the woods its an Allis-Chalmers 8050 with a 8.3 Cummins I put in. my 8030 and 8050 are about the only allis's I've ever seen in real life. It's kinda short but is my favorite tractor for running the bandit.

#18 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 5579 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 22 February 2021 - 08:58 PM

Well respected tractors with a good pump setup for the baron. Have a 7010 that is close sibling to the 8000’s.

#19 JOR Farm

JOR Farm

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:10 PM

We had a 7040 when I was a kid it had an amazingly sensitive lift great hydraulics and so many gears you would have to be blind not to find the right one. Seriously I think it had about 50.

#20 matador

matador

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNW Wyoming

Posted 23 February 2021 - 12:45 AM

You had the Power Director probably- the same transmission our 7040 has. 5 speeds with two ranges, and then a two speed power shift with the foot buttons. A super nice transmission. We have that one to bake with, and I bought an Oliver 1800A back in December, so if we go for an inline baler, we’d obviously put whatever the taller tractor is on the inline (probably the Allis). There’s a Deere 348 coming up for auction, but we haven’t looked at it yet. I just get the feeling that it’ll bring too much money. Hay equipment tends to bring stupid money at auctions out here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors