Fertilizer-2021, it's not for sissies - Soil and Amendments - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo

Fertilizer-2021, it's not for sissies

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Hayman1

Hayman1

Gourmet Horse Hay Producer

• Members
  • 2695 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted 16 February 2021 - 04:57 PM

Just texted my ag rep my fertilizer order for next month to get a price quote.  He texted back, working on it, you aren't going to like it, prices are going crazy.  Oh, swell, it's unseasonably cold and wet, and costs are already increasing before greenup.  What a way to start the hay year.

• endrow likes this

#2 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4301 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 16 February 2021 - 06:00 PM

I am guessing if corn and beans remain high . Farmers will apply record amounts if they see $6 corn. Fertilizer prices will probably rise ..  I will have to purchase some , at high prices ?   I purchased half of my estimated needs  .very early before prices went up and i wont share those prices .I purchased the remainder of my fertilizer needs  just before Christmas @ $350 urea & $ 295 for 0-0-60 Red Potash & $195 for UAN 30% Solution  .. At that point prices had gone up already . Some bought  for quite a bit less but i am only picking mine as i need it in 2021.     

• somedevildawg likes this

#3 haybaler101

haybaler101

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2182 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, Indiana

Posted 16 February 2021 - 07:06 PM

Just finished up Saturday with the year’s fertilizer. Love that turkey poo more and more all the time.

Attached Files

• somedevildawg, Troy Farmer, endrow and 1 other like this

#4 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8662 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 17 February 2021 - 06:24 AM

Have everything bought but one of my suppliers said will be a $200 ton increase on MAP when they get more in,if they can even get it!

• endrow likes this

#5 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4301 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 17 February 2021 - 10:20 AM

Just finished up Saturday with the year’s fertilizer. Love that turkey poo more and more all the time.

You bet that T/P  if spread properly is better than any thing you can buy. The old timers had a saying " you cant hide manure" !...  We sold our dairy herd the end of last year and the locals always ask me what i will miss the most about not having the dairy herd . My answer always is " we will miss the manure from the dairy the most"

#6 haybaler101

haybaler101

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2182 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 12:57 PM

You bet that T/P  if spread properly is better than any thing you can buy. The old timers had a saying " you cant hide manure" !...  We sold our dairy herd the end of last year and the locals always ask me what i will miss the most about not having the dairy herd . My answer always is " we will miss the manure from the dairy the most"

Our farm had dairy cows on it from 1946 until 2002 but I don’t ever remember getting the bang out of the manure like I have since we started using turkey poo in 2014. And rental ground that hasn’t had any manure in decades, really wakes up in a hurry!

#7 Uphayman

Uphayman

• Members
  • 519 posts
  • LocationUpper michigan

Posted 17 February 2021 - 01:28 PM

One of the benefits of custom raising livestock, is the manure. In our dairy hey day, we ran 300 head with replacements. Currently have 546 as of this morning. We own no animals. In addition to the daily manure produced, part of the payment on 2/3 of the animals is in the form of liquid manure. In November, 100 semi tankers were spread. Currently spreading about 40 tons daily. We are close to being soil nutrient sufficient. This is a good position to be in this spring............

Attached File  IMG_1070.jpg   86.02KB   3 downloads
  • somedevildawg and Hayman1 like this

#8 Hayman1

Hayman1

• Members
  • 2695 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted 17 February 2021 - 05:25 PM

Our farm had dairy cows on it from 1946 until 2002 but I don’t ever remember getting the bang out of the manure like I have since we started using turkey poo in 2014. And rental ground that hasn’t had any manure in decades, really wakes up in a hurry!

From what I’ve seen, there’s no equivalent to organic phosphate and the N in poultry poop.  But we don’t have it here and I’m too small to attract it from a distance 

• Troy Farmer likes this

#9 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 17 February 2021 - 09:21 PM

From what I’ve seen, there’s no equivalent to organic phosphate and the N in poultry poop.  But we don’t have it here and I’m too small to attract it from a distance

I’m afraid I may start a mutiny in the neighborhood.....don’t need folks pissed at me for any reason, but boy would I like the organics and micronutrients in my soil, just one application a year would do wonders I do believe.....
  • Troy Farmer and Tx Jim like this

#10 Hayman1

Hayman1

• Members
  • 2695 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted 18 February 2021 - 07:48 AM

I’m afraid I may start a mutiny in the neighborhood.....don’t need folks pissed at me for any reason, but boy would I like the organics and micronutrients in my soil, just one application a year would do wonders I do believe.....

That’s my problem Dawg, back when I was running a lot more acres I considered poultry litter.  My late first wife looked at me with “the look” and that was the end of the consideration.  All you married male HTers know the “look”.   :P

• somedevildawg, Troy Farmer, Tx Jim and 1 other like this

#11 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3981 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 18 February 2021 - 08:30 AM

attachicon.gifIMG_1070.jpg

Up, had to re-look at your pix.  Must have been a 'balmy' day (just above zero) and didn't want to crank up the A/C,  so you opened the back window.  :lol:  :D   Surely, it was for the essence, sorry, couldn't help myself.  :o

Larry

#12 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4301 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 18 February 2021 - 12:20 PM

I currently use manure on my Row Crops , But I do  not use manure on my Hay Fields . Many of my best hay customers specify they do not want hay that had manure applied on it especially chicken manure . IMO I think an annual dormant time manure application at a sensible rate is just not a bad thing . But some guys would grow O/G for a summer time disposalry while the row crops are growing and plaster it after each and every  cutting maybe even twice between 2nd and third cutting . That hay is not desired by many . Sharp hay buyers say they can recognize such hay and will not buy it .

• Hayman1 likes this

#13 Hayman1

Hayman1

• Members
  • 2695 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted 18 February 2021 - 01:25 PM

I currently use manure on my Row Crops , But I do  not use manure on my Hay Fields . Many of my best hay customers specify they do not want hay that had manure applied on it especially chicken manure . IMO I think an annual dormant time manure application at a sensible rate is just not a bad thing . But some guys would grow O/G for a summer time disposalry while the row crops are growing and plaster it after each and every  cutting maybe even twice between 2nd and third cutting . That hay is not desired by many . Sharp hay buyers say they can recognize such hay and will not buy it .

You can get hay too rank and horses don’t like it.  Not sure exactly what it does other than it’s clearly related to N.  Fastest way to get that to happen is raw chicken poop

#14 haybaler101

haybaler101

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2182 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 04:57 PM

Yeah, my neighborhood gets quite fragrant for a few days every fall. I spread 350 acres within a half mile of my house.  I tell people that is the “smell of money!”

• somedevildawg, Tx Jim, IH 1586 and 2 others like this

#15 SVFHAY

SVFHAY

• Members
  • 1329 posts
  • LocationWestern Pa.

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:30 AM

15 years ago I spread a lot of layer chicken litter and no doubt it was a benefit. Nutrient management plan called for no more than 2 [email protected] acre. At that rate i still needed additional fertilizer to fill some gaps so that was another trip.

I have 2 vacation lakes next to some farms and in the interest of public sentiment commercial fertilizer has been the practice. Easier decision when commercial is cheap though.

#16 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4301 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:19 AM

15 years ago I spread a lot of layer chicken litter and no doubt it was a benefit. Nutrient management plan called for no more than 2 [email protected] acre. At that rate i still needed additional fertilizer to fill some gaps so that was another trip.

I have 2 vacation lakes next to some farms and in the interest of public sentiment commercial fertilizer has been the practice. Easier decision when commercial is cheap though.

#17 JOR Farm

JOR Farm

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Alabama

Posted 23 February 2021 - 09:48 PM

Around here there is so much good broiler house litter that you can't hardly give layer litter away. I spread 3 TPA where I can then cry when I have to pay for commercial on what's to close to people's houses. I do have 1 field across the road from the farmers coop I use the manager said he would do my spreading for free if I wouldn't put litter there again. I spend a few hours a day in my chicken houses I guess I have forgotten how bad they smell.

#18 SCtrailrider

SCtrailrider

• Members
  • 939 posts
  • Locationupstate South Carolina

Posted 26 February 2021 - 06:23 PM

I checked today, 480 $ per tone bulk for triple 17... that's a good bit more than last year for me...

Sure wish I had access to litter here, there is a turkey farm a few miles away but a local cow farmer gets it all and spreads it on the fields he cuts hay on... oh well... 

• Troy Farmer likes this

#19 Troy Farmer

Troy Farmer

• Members
  • 602 posts
  • LocationUpstate SC

Posted 26 February 2021 - 08:22 PM

$550/ton for 46-0-0 today. Took a chance on this wet ground today spreading my rye grass fields.  I didn't sink the tractor, just my wallet!

#20 paoutdoorsman

paoutdoorsman

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1350 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 27 February 2021 - 07:45 AM

I currently use manure on my Row Crops , But I do  not use manure on my Hay Fields . Many of my best hay customers specify they do not want hay that had manure applied on it especially chicken manure . IMO I think an annual dormant time manure application at a sensible rate is just not a bad thing.

@endrow, I spread 100 ton of layer litter Wednesday on my ground going to soybeans.  The agronomist I had worked with a few years back had me putting 3 ton/acre layer litter on my grass hay stands in the fall.  I never questioned, and I've never had a customer specify they did not want manure or chicken manure applied.  Do you know what the reasoning is in that request?  Is is legitimate?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors