• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 pettibone

pettibone

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Locationwestern maine

Posted 14 February 2021 - 04:55 PM

To go along with prices changing in 24 hours was looking in the farm & garden section of CL yesterday morning, now we had a very dry summer last year and from what I've been told there's a serious shortage of hay, so anyway ad in CL has hay from NY at a bargain price of 18 per bale and you have to buy 1000 bales at a time. So I'm thinking that must be a trailer load on some sort of wicked awesome hay trailer or pretty small bales for your 18000 bucks. Maybe I'm just used to cheap hay prices around here but kinda seems like gouging people to me. What do ya'll think?

#2 Aaroncboo

Aaroncboo

• Members
  • 715 posts
  • LocationHomer Glenn ILL

Posted 14 February 2021 - 05:09 PM

Guess it depends on what they want for trucking, maybe that includes unloading? Still seems high though.

#3 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4301 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 14 February 2021 - 05:41 PM

I hate low hay prices . I also know when hay prices get to high it is not good for the seller either 

• ozarkian, HayMike, 8350HiTech and 2 others like this

#4 pettibone

pettibone

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Locationwestern maine

Posted 14 February 2021 - 05:54 PM

I would hope for 18000 you would get it delivered. I'm thinking prices like that would weed out a lot of people really fast

• dvcochran likes this

#5 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15647 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 14 February 2021 - 06:02 PM

You might change your mind about the "gouging" if crop prices continue to hold higher because it will be a slam dunk that all types of fertilizer will go out of sight. 

Regards, Mike

• HayMike, somedevildawg and TJ Hendren like this

#6 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 14 February 2021 - 06:30 PM

Urea is up about $50 a ton.....

#7 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3981 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 14 February 2021 - 06:43 PM

Feed prices just increase at feed store, average of $1 to $1.50 a bag ($40 to $60 a ton).  We are naturally passing that on to the customer. 

Larry

#8 VA Haymaker

VA Haymaker

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1429 posts
  • LocationCentral Western VA

Posted 14 February 2021 - 08:44 PM

Fertilizer prices are already up. Our supplier told me he hasn’t seen an increase like this since 2008. I also think we are going to see some wicked inflation to come. I’ve been on the fence about buying a new fertilizer spreader, but am concerned that if I wait until year’s end, there will be a substantial price increase.

Around here, there has been a hay glut. We’ve held our prices and have sold out of horse quality hay. We have some cow/goat hay left, but that is moving too - repeat customers.

This “gouging” thang cuts both ways. Last year there was a severe hay shortage here and hay prices reflected. Many horse hay folks cried bloody murder regarding the prices. I have yet to hear a hay supplier/grower complain about being ripped-off by disloyal hay customers who shop for the lowest price, leaving the farmer high and dry.

IMHO - the bottom line for farmers is charge what the market will allow; certainly the customer will shop for the lowest price on the flip side without regard for the farmer.

#9 stack em up

stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 3053 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 14 February 2021 - 08:51 PM

Gotta look at it as a business.

My motto is “do unto other before they do unto you”
  • somedevildawg likes this

#10 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4301 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 15 February 2021 - 06:00 AM

Here there is  talk of severe hay shortage to our north and to our west . We do not see it here i can go to hay sale 6 days a week and those auctions  are packed with record  number of loads . Price is holding up good but on a whole down about 20 % from 6 months ago .   

#11 ttazzman

ttazzman

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSW MO

Posted 15 February 2021 - 01:29 PM

this cold wave in the lower middle of the country caught a lot of people that usually have winter pasture out of forage......we are small time horse hay producers mainly for ourselves and i put a add up on marketplace for our excess and had of 1k hits in a week ........ mentioned at the feed store we were on our last bales to sell and they said they would take any we had ........ i sold mine a bit below local market but normally 6-7$ small bales are going for 8-9$ in southern missouri ...even had people buying it as a straw substitute

#12 Hay diddle diddle

Hay diddle diddle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 328 posts
  • LocationAus

Posted 15 February 2021 - 03:40 PM

No one makes people buy it. Unless everyone else starts asking the same or more.... Supply and demand . That's all it comes down to.

• endrow likes this

#13 disenchanted

disenchanted

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 February 2021 - 10:06 PM

We also had a rather poor hay year, and tonight I came across a craigslist ad for several year old bales with "a considerable amount of burdock" for $4/bale.

#14 pettibone

pettibone

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Locationwestern maine

Posted 16 February 2021 - 08:55 AM

Talking about CL, on the Maine CL this morning was a beautiful 6420 cab loader 4x4 all for 18,500. You know that was legit.

• gosh likes this

#15 mstuck21

mstuck21

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 17 February 2021 - 08:31 AM

I’m all for higher/strong hay prices for GOOD hay. If you can ask a strong price for quality bales and get it then by all means take it. To many times the producer is on the short end of stick so take the extra when it is there. I’m a nobody in the hay world, but I know the difference between good and bad hay. All these weekend cowboys on CL who wrap two strings around a dog turd and call it $7 hay can fly a kite. Makes me lose my mind. Junk is junk, call it what it is.

• endrow, RockyHill and Hayman1 like this

#16 cjsr8595

cjsr8595

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • LocationSouthern Indiana

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:09 AM

our urea prices are up almost $150/TN and climbing.  I bought mine a couple of months ago and glad i did.  We were being told after the new year it would go down but it has gone the opposite way.  We just need cattle prices to climb a bit too.  

• Tx Jim and CowboyRam like this

#17 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4380 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:49 AM

Day before yesterday I went over to my friends house with my bale spike bed pickup to put out a rd bale for him because his diesel tractor fuel gelled/stopped running. He had some sq bales in his pickup & I inquired where he purchased. He stated local feed store & the sq bales of Coastal costs $12.50 each.

Yesterday I went to help a neighbor get his diesel tractor started that was starving for fuel due to gelled fuel so he could feed his cows.

I'm more than ready for 32+°F weather that supposed to arrive in a few hrs.

• mike23 and cjsr8595 like this

#18 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4301 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 19 February 2021 - 01:50 PM

Day before yesterday I went over to my friends house with my bale spike bed pickup to put out a rd bale for him because his diesel tractor fuel gelled/stopped running. He had some sq bales in his pickup & I inquired where he purchased. He stated local feed store & the sq bales of Coastal costs $12.50 each.

Yesterday I went to help a neighbor get his diesel tractor started that was starving for fuel due to gelled fuel so he could feed his cows.

Well if those bales weighed 59#'s that would be about $425 per ton and that price would not be unheard of in these parts for good sound hay.. 

Now if those bales were 28# that would be $890 per ton , a bit pricey .  

• JD3430 likes this

#19 Josh in WNY

Josh in WNY

• Members
  • 1042 posts
  • LocationGowanda, NY

Posted 19 February 2021 - 02:21 PM

$18 seems a bit high, but I've been out of the long-distance hay sales for a while.  When I used to ship from Western NY to Florida, the cost of a semi with a dry van trailer ran around $3k.  By the time the hay got to Florida, it was around $10-$11 a bale (including shipping), but I was competing with retail prices at the farm stores down there which were usually around $12 a bale, so I had to undercut a little.  This was in a "normal" hay year without having to deal with a cold snap like we have now.

I also wonder about the "1000 bale" quantity.  I could fit around 630 bales on a 53 foot trailer and I knew other guys that had a little shorter bales than mine that would push close to 700 bales.  1000 bales is either an open trailer with straps, a tandem trailer hookup or multiple loads.  I would be very skeptical of any small square bales being delivered that distance without being covered.  All the snow/sleet/rain etc. on the trip would really drop the quality.

• endrow likes this

#20 pettibone

pettibone

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Locationwestern maine

Posted 19 February 2021 - 05:44 PM

Gee Jim guess I have to cross Texas off my list of places to go to get away from snow and cold. We have friends that live near Dallas and it was -2 at their house and 13 here. You might have to come to Maine to get warmed up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Cobercow

× Sponsors