Loader tractor - Page 2 - Tractor Talk - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 2

Photo

Loader tractor

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 chevytaHOE5674

chevytaHOE5674

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 376 posts
  • LocationOntonagon, Mi

Posted 16 February 2021 - 05:37 PM

I bleed blue and have operated and owned many TWs and still have a TW5/15 series II MFWD with a loader. Good tractors that have some quirks and issues but still a good field tractor, just not a great loader tractor. Dry clutch, crash box, with limited reverse gears are its down falls. Having said that I've moved thousands of bales with mine, but something with a wet clutch and reverser make the TW get minimal use anymore.

The 40 series depending on the transmission can make an ok loader tractor. The SLE tractors at least have a wet clutch and stand up to loader use better.
  • CowboyRam likes this

#22 matador

matador

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNW Wyoming

Posted 20 February 2021 - 06:17 PM

I know I'm late to the party, but here's my take (As another Wyomingite):

Order something in from out of state if you can't snag a deal. The lack of dealers and equipment out here really makes it hard to find a local deal. I assume the tractor you're looking at is the one that Swenson's is auctioning? I haven't seen it in person, but it sounds a lot like what you described

I bought a smaller tractor back in December- an Oliver 1800A on BigIron out of Minnesota. To get it trucked out here came to just under $1500. I tried to find a local tractor too, but I just couldn't find anything good. Musser's had a couple 3020's at auction back then- they sold for double the price of that Oliver. What you're looking at is heavier than what I bought, but the shipping might not be as bad as you'd think. Something coming from South Dakota or Nebraska would probably be quite reasonable.

I'd also recommend taking a look at an Allis if you need cheap power. We have a 7040 that came out of Riverton. It's a bit crude, but it's been reliable and those old Allis tractors usually go cheap at auction. They're one of the best kept secrets out there. I probably shouldn't have told you- it's not so well-kept now  :P

#23 CowboyRam

CowboyRam

An ounce of doing is worth a pound of talk

• Members
  • 1133 posts
  • LocationRiverton, WY

Posted 20 February 2021 - 08:31 PM

I know I'm late to the party, but here's my take (As another Wyomingite):

Order something in from out of state if you can't snag a deal. The lack of dealers and equipment out here really makes it hard to find a local deal. I assume the tractor you're looking at is the one that Swenson's is auctioning? I haven't seen it in person, but it sounds a lot like what you described

I bought a smaller tractor back in December- an Oliver 1800A on BigIron out of Minnesota. To get it trucked out here came to just under $1500. I tried to find a local tractor too, but I just couldn't find anything good. Musser's had a couple 3020's at auction back then- they sold for double the price of that Oliver. What you're looking at is heavier than what I bought, but the shipping might not be as bad as you'd think. Something coming from South Dakota or Nebraska would probably be quite reasonable.

I'd also recommend taking a look at an Allis if you need cheap power. We have a 7040 that came out of Riverton. It's a bit crude, but it's been reliable and those old Allis tractors usually go cheap at auction. They're one of the best kept secrets out there. I probably shouldn't have told you- it's not so well-kept now  :P

It is hard to find anything here in Wyoming.  When I bought my 7130 a couple years ago I got it out of Indiana, and it cost me about four grand to get it shipped here.  

I am looking for something newer than our MF1135.  I have seen an 8630 Agco Allis for a pretty reasonable price, but I am concerned with getting parts if needed.   

#24 8350HiTech

8350HiTech

Hay Master

• Members
  • 5374 posts
  • LocationOrrstown, PA

Posted 20 February 2021 - 10:25 PM

It is hard to find anything here in Wyoming. When I bought my 7130 a couple years ago I got it out of Indiana, and it cost me about four grand to get it shipped here.

I am looking for something newer than our MF1135. I have seen an 8630 Agco Allis for a pretty reasonable price, but I am concerned with getting parts if needed.

I still think you should call a SDF dealer and ask them about that Agco, I expect parts can possibly be sourced more practically that way than through Agco.

#25 matador

matador

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNW Wyoming

Posted 20 February 2021 - 11:23 PM

What do you guys have for an AGCO dealer down there? C&K in Sheridan and Billings Farmhand both have been great to us, but that’s a long trip for you. A lot of parts can be ordered in at least. We order all our New Holland parts through Messick’s and Oliver/White through Maibach Tractor for example.

Out here, finding anything is a challenge. We’re looking for a small square baler and a bake wagon. We’ve only found one baler that would work for us in any of the auctions so far, and I have a hunch it’ll bring too much. I never thought small square bakers were rare, but out here, EVERYTHING seems to be rare

Also, if you’re interested in that Agco Allis, I’d ask the people at the Allis forum- they should be able to tell you the good, bad, and ugly
  • CowboyRam likes this

#26 CowboyRam

CowboyRam

• Members
  • 1133 posts
  • LocationRiverton, WY

Posted 21 February 2021 - 12:31 AM

What do you guys have for an AGCO dealer down there? C&K in Sheridan and Billings Farmhand both have been great to us, but that’s a long trip for you. A lot of parts can be ordered in at least. We order all our New Holland parts through Messick’s and Oliver/White through Maibach Tractor for example.

Out here, finding anything is a challenge. We’re looking for a small square baler and a bake wagon. We’ve only found one baler that would work for us in any of the auctions so far, and I have a hunch it’ll bring too much. I never thought small square bakers were rare, but out here, EVERYTHING seems to be rare

Also, if you’re interested in that Agco Allis, I’d ask the people at the Allis forum- they should be able to tell you the good, bad, and ugly

We have Browns Company, and Stotz Equipment; there is good an bad about both.  I have used Messicks before; they are pretty quick about sending out parts.  

#27 matador

matador

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNW Wyoming

Posted 21 February 2021 - 06:55 PM

So, just New Holland and Deere then? Well, that's one more than we get at least

#28 CowboyRam

CowboyRam

• Members
  • 1133 posts
  • LocationRiverton, WY

Posted 22 February 2021 - 12:01 AM

So, just New Holland and Deere then? Well, that's one more than we get at least

There is Carlson, although they changed their name, and lost their CaseIH dealership and I am not sure about their Massey Ferguson dealership.  

#29 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 5635 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 22 February 2021 - 08:29 AM

Absolutely no on the allis 8630, that is a SAME and are cheap for a reason.
  • CowboyRam likes this

#30 PaMike

PaMike

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2426 posts
  • LocationLancaster County PA

Posted 22 February 2021 - 01:18 PM

My 5240 has 7k hours on it. 23k for the price. On the high end for price but it has 3k in rubber on it, a powershift R&R and some other minor work.

• CowboyRam likes this

#31 CowboyRam

CowboyRam

• Members
  • 1133 posts
  • LocationRiverton, WY

Posted 22 February 2021 - 05:34 PM

My 5240 has 7k hours on it. 23k for the price. On the high end for price but it has 3k in rubber on it, a powershift R&R and some other minor work.

I would like to find something with a few less hours, besides PA is a long ways to haul.  

• PaMike likes this

#32 matador

matador

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNW Wyoming

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:55 PM

How did that tractor go at auction? I missed that part of the auction. We wanted the bale wagon, but $5300 for a 1032 is just nuts. Hopefully the auction worked out better for you than us

#33 CowboyRam

CowboyRam

• Members
  • 1133 posts
  • LocationRiverton, WY

Posted 26 February 2021 - 12:48 PM

How did that tractor go at auction? I missed that part of the auction. We wanted the bale wagon, but $5300 for a 1032 is just nuts. Hopefully the auction worked out better for you than us

I don't know.  I got busy with other things and forgot about it.  Besides I decided not to bid on it; I just did not want to take chance on it, and I am still trying to get my money together.  I may have to hold off until I get my calves sold next fall.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors