Orchard Grass in Virginia??? HLR, Intensiv, vs Crown Royale - Alfalfa/Hay - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

Orchard Grass in Virginia??? HLR, Intensiv, vs Crown Royale

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dbreon77

dbreon77

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 08 February 2021 - 07:32 PM

Picked up a new hay lease in the Louisa/Gordonsville, VA area - approx 10 acre parcel that was planted in soybean two years ago, harvested, and never replanted It is my intention to spray the existing weeds and no-till orchard grass/oat mix in the next few weeks, as soon as the field dries. The primary use of this parcel will be square bales for horse customers. 

I am looking for a LATER MATURING orchard grass variety. An acre or so of the field is inherently damp, as are Virginia springs. Looking for everyone's input and experience with the following varieties....  not only maturity, but yield, hardiness and persistence as well. 

Barenbrug "HLR" High Leaf Ratio

Barenbrug Intensiv 

Crown Royale 

As a side note, the soil test came back pretty good. Co-op has lime and fertilizer in the schedule. 

Thank you in advance!

#2 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15647 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 08 February 2021 - 08:06 PM

Here, Orchard grass doesn't last long with damp feet. Timothy does much better.

Regards, Mike

• Hayman1 likes this

#3 Hayman1

Hayman1

Gourmet Horse Hay Producer

• Members
  • 2698 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted 09 February 2021 - 07:59 AM

Here, Orchard grass doesn't last long with damp feet. Timothy does much better.

Regards, Mike

I agree with Mike-you would be better off with Timothy, maybe even just as an annual especially if you have a no-til drill.  You will probably have to spray for mites, if not the first year in Timothy, then the second.  Timothy won’t work this year but you could try teff

#4 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4301 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 09 February 2021 - 03:59 PM

Are you talking about growing Stands with 100% timothy . I cant see a timothy stand in the south , here timothy is so shallow rooted its done as soon as it is warm . You have to go atleast 1 to 2 hours north of me to get good timothy , cant see how it grows productily in the south . One of the local municipalities started Timothy and Orchard Grass and clover next to a big lake  and they allow farmers to harvest for hay ,  The timothy lasted about 5 years lased  about 5 years  and the clover lasted about 10 years . 30 + years later the  Orchard grass still gives 3 cuttings a year and is nice as it ever was  

#5 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15647 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 09 February 2021 - 08:35 PM

Yes, Timothy will grow well for one cutting in the Mid-South. It will last about 3-4 years dependent on rainfall. It must be planted in the fall here....no spring planting. I usually broadcast in areas that the water table is high. It will do well there. 

Regards, Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors