• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Soggy Bottom

Soggy Bottom

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationVictoria, TX

Posted 08 February 2021 - 04:17 PM

Looking at buying a new tractor and have been looking at the Massey 4710. The dealer down the road had a 5711 I looked at last week. A very nice tractor but I think it is more tractor than I really need. It seems the 4710 will fit my needs better. Tractor will be used for pulling a weed sprayer, and a small square bale operation. I also like the fact that the MF does not have a particulate filter or EGR valve. No regin cycle, only takes DEF. Any input on this tractor good or bad? Thanks

#2 Trillium Farm

Trillium Farm

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationDurham Region/Southern Ontario

Posted 08 February 2021 - 04:48 PM

Well IMHO but I think that 5700 series is better overall as it has 4cyl vs 3 and though it may seem more powerful that what you need right now I've heard plenty of "I wish I'd got the bigger one" very very seldom the other way around, Here's is link that may help you:

• JD3430, r82230 and Red Bank like this

#3 timberjackrob

timberjackrob

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • Locationsouth central ky

Posted 09 February 2021 - 08:51 PM

I’ve got a 4710 have over 1200 hrs on it now no problems so far well pleased with tractor and the build quality. I did have the valve stems replaced on the tires my came with rubber ones that were showing signs of dry rot possibly from manure? They should put the Brass/metal ones on them.the 3 cylinder has plenty of power and seems easy on fuel it does not have the lugging power of the old Perkins power Massey’s it is more of a high reving engine.

#4 Cactus50

Cactus50

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 10 February 2021 - 08:24 AM

Massey builds a good tractor; I've owned two and both were trouble free. I agree with Trillium Farm.  I'm sure the 4710 will do all you need it to do for now but as a buddy once told me when I was worried about a 40x60 barn being too big, "Charlie, you can't build a barn too big." He was right, I now need a bigger barn. Both should do you a great job but in my humble opinion if you can afford to go either way, I would go big. But, as they say, "opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one."  :)

• somedevildawg likes this

#5 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10016 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 10 February 2021 - 08:26 PM

I ain’t got one....but I did look at them, I liked the tranny action iirc....seems it disengages when brakes are applied or something? Idk, may be far off......

#6 dvcochran

dvcochran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 10 February 2021 - 10:39 PM

I have fell victim to the idea that the smaller tractor is ‘just’ enough. There will come a time or circumstance where you will wish you had the 10 or so extra horsepower. Another thing to seriously consider is resale value. Compare values on equal 5 year old tractors and you may find that the bigger tractor has already paid for itself.
  • Trillium Farm and Cactus50 like this

#7 foz682

foz682

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • LocationCape Breton, Nova Scotia

Posted 21 February 2021 - 02:44 AM

4709 here with about 900 hrs. Open station, 3615 loader. I wanted the 5711, but open stations were few and far between at the time (needed for barn cleanout)..... very pleased with the tractor I got. Loads of power and weight. Our other tractor is a MF 5460 Perkins 4.4, the 4709 will run our mower conditioner and round baler toe to toe with the 5460.

There's been a few bugs but nothing serious. Dealer has serviced the DEF system a couple of times, loader cables got moisture in them and had to be replaced, and the wheel spacing was set way too narrow when it came, had to widen it out. We do have excellent dealer service, nearly 3 hrs away and will often show up the day you call, if not then the next morning by 8am.

For a sprayer and small squares, 4710 will be well more than just enough...

• timberjackrob and Cobercow like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors