• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mstuck21

mstuck21

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 21 January 2021 - 01:23 PM

Saw a video of a guy rolling his fields with a big drum contraption to help smooth them out after the season. Just curious if it’s something worthwhile to consider? If so, what equipment do you use, time of year, special conditions that make it work better, etc?

I make every attempt not to rut them up in the first place but from time to time notice a rough spot and it crosses my mind. Maybe youll do more harm than good, I don’t know. Can’t say I’ve seen anyone in my area attempt it, but we aren’t really in hay county. My mind wonders over winter.

#2 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15653 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 21 January 2021 - 01:58 PM

Many folks use those big rollers to push rocks back into the soil. 

Regards, Mike

#3 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10995 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 21 January 2021 - 01:59 PM

I wouldn’t do it on alfalfa, could damage the crowns

#4 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8662 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 21 January 2021 - 03:32 PM

Ive used one after seeding,I use a brillion one now not the big drum ones.They work great on worked soil to push rocks down and flatten some ridges but its not going to do much to a established field with ruts in it.Pds per sq inch isnt all that much until it hits a high point like a rock then it will shove it down.

#5 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 5579 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 21 January 2021 - 06:09 PM

Very popular in soy even notill. I’ve been looking for one to try in that window of wet ground that it could work in spring plus after it’s been worked.

#6 carcajou

carcajou

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1837 posts
  • LocationALBERTA

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:45 PM

We roll all our hayland every year time permitting. Have a blade mounted in front to level the mole hills too. Does not hurt the alfalfa at all.
  • Vol and DSLinc1017 like this

#7 HAYcorey

HAYcorey

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationEvans, GA

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:52 PM

I just picked up a Brillion culti-mulcher to prep for bermuda sprigging and was going to ask the same question. Was thinking of doing it after burning and a good rain. Sandy soil. What are y’all’s thoughts?
  • Hayguy likes this

#8 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4311 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 21 January 2021 - 08:33 PM

When i was a kid back in the conventional tillage days  we rolled everything in the spring Alfalfa ,,grass, clover , wheat , barley , oats  rolled.it all to push the stones down that heaved up . 10 to 12 ft packers behind a farmall h or maybe a B JD. My grandpa was running the show then an he said you could only drive about 3 to 4 mph. We did not complain because we knew if we did not roll them we would have had to pick them up 1 by 1  and haul them off to a rock pile. When i was a young boy my Grandpa said for everyday you plow (3 bottom) you could expect to spend 2 days picking up rock's and stones. Location is everything and you can see why  i smirk at the term "recreational tillage". The first notill planter in the mid 70's looked mighty good     

• Vol, carcajou, gosh and 1 other like this

#9 SVFHAY

SVFHAY

• Members
  • 1329 posts
  • LocationWestern Pa.

Posted 22 January 2021 - 08:35 AM

Have much experience with a brillion cultimulcher, only brand new tillage tool to ever come to this farm. It came long ago and has been worn out a couple times. It would do nothing in established sods. A large drum style might but it would be a very narrow window of use in my variable soils.

As endrow stated picking rock was a huge part of life here before no till.

#10 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8662 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 22 January 2021 - 09:38 AM

We roll all our hayland every year time permitting. Have a blade mounted in front to level the mole hills too. Does not hurt the alfalfa at all.

Something like this?

scroll down to options and they have a blade mounted on roller,and can reseed also.

https://www.agshield...androllers.html

#11 carcajou

carcajou

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1837 posts
  • LocationALBERTA

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:23 AM

Something like this?

scroll down to options and they have a blade mounted on roller,and can reseed also.

https://www.agshield...androllers.html

Yes  Same idea but home built.  Made ours only 18' so it could fit through all our gates.  Have seeded many many acres through the Valmar over the years.  I did built and use a 45' model for years when we cropped 4000 acres.  Pulled it right behind the air seeder most of the time.

• swmnhay likes this

#12 dvcochran

dvcochran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 22 January 2021 - 08:15 PM

Which the exception of pushing down rocks, how to you think a chain harrow compares to a drum on hay fields?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors