Looking at wheel rake upgrade... - Page 2 - Machinery - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 2

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Looking at wheel rake upgrade...

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Tightwad

Tightwad

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 22 January 2021 - 01:40 PM

7500 sounds pretty steep.  I ain’t been watching values on them for a while.  I bought mine new in the crate down in TX for $8300.  Sold it for for around $6500 4 years later I think and thought I didn’t get beat up too bad.  Mine was in nicer shape when I sold it than the one you are looking at is.  Looks like auction time prices run mostly from mid 3k to mid 5k.  

I see it has had the rake wheels replaced.  Wonder if is has seen that much use or if it had the Durabull wheels that failed early.

Were the Durabull wheels prone to early failure?  I've never been around a rake with them.

#22 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3449 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 22 January 2021 - 05:32 PM

Were the Durabull wheels prone to early failure?  I've never been around a rake with them.

The Durabull tine was a Vermeer exclusive.  Instead of being a Z shaped tine it had a simple radius after it passed the support ring.  I thought they worked really well, but they sure didn’t last very long.  Now I was using them in cornstalks which is very hard on rake tines, but I have heard others say they didn’t last very long either.  It seemed like they had a very defined fatigue life and when they got to that point they started breaking off wholesale.  If you had 2 tines broke on a wheel might as well replace all the tines tomorrow morning or half the tines would be broke by tomorrow night.  The strange thing I noticed was that the replacement Durabull tines never did break.  I suspect the metallurgy wasn’t quite right in the original.  Rake tines are hardened, tempered, high carbon steel.  

• somedevildawg likes this

#23 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4386 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 23 January 2021 - 09:27 AM

When I've replaced complete rake wheels on my H&S I've utilized Kuhn wheels & they seem to last better than H&S wheels. My neighbor that custom bales a lot more acres than I do suggested using the Kuhn wheels & stated the teeth last longer. 

• somedevildawg likes this

#24 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 23 January 2021 - 08:29 PM

I’ve looked at some of the H&S rakes Jim, they are fairly pricey......I can see why they must be robust.
  • Tx Jim likes this

#25 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3449 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 23 January 2021 - 11:00 PM

Speaking of pricey rakes . . . when I was looking for my first wheel rake back in 2009, I began to think that used wheel rakes like the WRX12 and such others in that same class of rake were overpriced.   That is why I ended up buying a new one.  Normally I would not have bought new, especially back then, starting out in the custom baling business.  But I could not see spending what used rakes were bringing when a new one was not all that much more.   That thought may be true today yet.  I don’t know as I have not really looked at those rakes since I sold my WRX12 and switched to Rowse.

Anyway, happy hunting!

• Vol, somedevildawg and Tx Jim like this

#26 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 24 January 2021 - 07:27 AM

I agree, I don’t have any issue buying used, but for the difference in price.....I may buy “slightly used” or new....
My Deere dealer has a frontier HC 14 wheel, don’t know anything about it except it was one year old and they were asking 20k......I kept looking.

#27 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4386 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 24 January 2021 - 10:40 AM

At one time H&S supplied some rakes for JD. I haven't checked JD for any H&S equipment lately

#28 Tightwad

Tightwad

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:43 AM

The Durabull tine was a Vermeer exclusive.  Instead of being a Z shaped tine it had a simple radius after it passed the support ring.  I thought they worked really well, but they sure didn’t last very long.  Now I was using them in cornstalks which is very hard on rake tines, but I have heard others say they didn’t last very long either.  It seemed like they had a very defined fatigue life and when they got to that point they started breaking off wholesale.  If you had 2 tines broke on a wheel might as well replace all the tines tomorrow morning or half the tines would be broke by tomorrow night.  The strange thing I noticed was that the replacement Durabull tines never did break.  I suspect the metallurgy wasn’t quite right in the original.  Rake tines are hardened, tempered, high carbon steel.  

Thank you, Sir.

I remember when Vermeer came out with the Durabull teeth and was curious why they never caught on.  If you think about it, most common rake teeth transmit the stress of raking to a torsional stress on the longest part of the tooth.  That part has a weak point where it comes through the outside band and gets whittled down in diameter, and is where 90% of my teeth fail over time.  The Durabull teeth don't have that extreme offset and should have less torsional stress, but more shear stress applied to the tooth.  Again, the weak point should be where it goes through the outside band which going to be a wear point and also a pivot point, too.  All of that BS translates to I'm betting the Durabull teeth are more rigid and have less flex.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors