• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 21 January 2021 - 06:36 AM

Does anyone have any intimate knowledge of the Vermeer high capacity wheel rakes? I believe it to be rebadged, looks similar to the to tontutti (model is wrx). I need a larger rake than my current one.....need good mobility and versatility. Also need it to be cheap, it’s job is to put dead grass in a windrow :o

#2 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8659 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 21 January 2021 - 06:52 AM

WRX12? 
Yes I have one.Gearclash has one or did also.

The 1428 is made by Vermeer.

• endrow likes this

#3 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3445 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:10 AM

Yea, I had a WRX12.  I kinda miss it for some of the raking I do.  What size are you thinking?  The major frame design sizes were 12/14 (no wing frame hinge--4 ground wheels), 14/16 (with wing frame hinge--6 ground wheels) , and 18/20. 

• endrow likes this

#4 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4294 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 21 January 2021 - 08:53 AM

Yea, I had a WRX12.  I kinda miss it for some of the raking I do.  What size are you thinking?  The major frame design sizes were 12/14 (no wing frame hinge--4 ground wheels), 14/16 (with wing frame hinge--6 ground wheels) , and 18/20. 

This is an interesting subject  because i am planning on a wheel rake up grade . With something like a WRX 12  how would that work with   small  multi pointed  fields  or uneven super rolling ground with  deep swails . I currently run a( carted v 12) in those type of fields and can really make good time in short uneven rows. It works good for me but i give up some capacity vs a big frame wheel rake .  I am thinking a big frame rake like that would be a nite mare ?? Wondering?

• somedevildawg likes this

#5 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4368 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:49 AM

I've owned a H&S hi-cap 14 wheel rake since purchased new in '02 that has raked many smaller odd shaped fields with little to no problems.  Tractor driver just needs to pay attention to their surroundings & if applicable keep cell phone ringer turned off.

• somedevildawg, endrow and NebTrac like this

#6 Tightwad

Tightwad

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 21 January 2021 - 11:20 AM

I had a WR-V10 for a long time and loved it.  Sold it last year and replaced with a NH Duravee 1020.  If Vermeer still made the WRX series, I would have rather stayed with them.  I've looked at a few of their VR1428 High Capacity rakes and they're built just a touch too heavy in my opinion, plus I'm not a fan of the use of an individual hydraulic cylinder at each wheel instead of a spring.  And I've used a carted type rake enough in my younger years to know that I have no interest in another one.

• somedevildawg and endrow like this

#7 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3445 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 11:22 AM

This is an interesting subject  because i am planning on a wheel rake up grade . With something like a WRX 12  how would that work with   small  multi pointed  fields  or uneven super rolling ground with  deep swails . I currently run a( carted v 12) in those type of fields and can really make good time in short uneven rows. It works good for me but i give up some capacity vs a big frame wheel rake .  I am thinking a big frame rake like that would be a nite mare ?? Wondering?

One thing to be aware of is that the WRX and similar Tonutti built rakes have a main frame that telescopes shorter as the wings fold out.  So the rake is somewhat less clumsy than you might think it should be.  It will take somewhat more room to turn than a carted rake but I don’t think you will be bothered by it.  The gain in capacity will make you forget about the bigger turning radius.   I would guess that a high capacity rake with rigid wings will follow undulating terrain somewhat better than the carted rake will, but not as well as a bigger rake with 6 ground wheels and hinged wings.  I’ve walked through some pretty wild washouts with my Rowse WR16 and WR20 wheel rakes.

• somedevildawg and endrow like this

#8 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3981 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 21 January 2021 - 04:34 PM

Does anyone have any intimate knowledge of the Vermeer high capacity wheel rakes? I believe it to be rebadged, looks similar to the to tontutti (model is wrx). I need a larger rake than my current one.....need good mobility and versatility. Also need it to be cheap, it’s job is to put dead grass in a windrow :o

Big Dawg, you sound almost like some of my hay customers  ;)

..need good mobility hay and versatility lot's of it. Also need it to be cheap, :huh:  

Come I give you two out of three, pick your poison, I hope it's not cheap either, we need the spending to keep this country a rolling, while helping you walk straighter, while lightening your wallet.  :P  :D  :lol:

Larry

• somedevildawg and hay slayer like this

#9 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:16 PM

Lol....quit Larry, you’re killin’ me..

Guy says it’s a wrx 14 but only has 6 rakes on each side.....he says it also has kickers but he took them off as it matched his Eq perfectly. Not so with mine, I will need them.....not sure the year model of this rake but doesn’t appear really old, had the back beam replaced (it’s red) and some wing stabilizers (for mobile?) guy says it’s a good rake, just doesn’t need any longer.Attached File  0137FFEC-6C02-4004-86ED-3F08ADD460A1.png   930.09KB   1 downloads
  • r82230 likes this

#10 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8659 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:40 PM

It’s a Wrx 12

12 rake wheels

unless there was 2 in front at one time,Think there is a bolt on extension to make it a 14

#11 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3445 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:44 PM

swmnhay is right.

The WRX12 could be made into a 14 wheel by bolting another frame section on the front of wing frame and adding the relevant hardware.  If I am remembering this right, that was not an official WRX14; the real WRX14 had a joint in the wing and a second caster wheel.  Also the last raking wheel is behind the rear frame.

Anyway it looks like a decent rake.  

#12 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8659 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:46 PM

The red bars are just for transport in front are just for transport.At road speeds it will wander a little without them locked.

There was a update kit to strengthen the wing beam that’s not on that rake.

all in all it looks to be little used.I wonder if he dropped a wheel in a hole to tweak the back crossbeam?

#13 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 21 January 2021 - 08:08 PM

The red bars are just for transport in front are just for transport.At road speeds it will wander a little without them locked.

There was a update kit to strengthen the wing beam that’s not on that rake.

all in all it looks to be little used.I wonder if he dropped a wheel in a hole to tweak the back crossbeam?

He didn’t elaborate but he did say there was another piece on the “main beam” that he replaced as well, I couldn’t tell by any of the pics however.

#14 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 21 January 2021 - 08:13 PM

What you guys think it’s worth? He’s asking 7.5k but as with most all things in life.....long way away from me, but that ain’t never really stopped me :o the price seems about right if he has the center wheels and rake otherwise appears in decent shape......like I said, just puttin dead grass in a row.

#15 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3445 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 08:26 PM

7500 sounds pretty steep.  I ain’t been watching values on them for a while.  I bought mine new in the crate down in TX for $8300.  Sold it for for around $6500 4 years later I think and thought I didn’t get beat up too bad.  Mine was in nicer shape when I sold it than the one you are looking at is.  Looks like auction time prices run mostly from mid 3k to mid 5k.  

I see it has had the rake wheels replaced.  Wonder if is has seen that much use or if it had the Durabull wheels that failed early.

#16 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 21 January 2021 - 08:50 PM

I’ll ask the feller....don’t know how long he’s had it or any real particulars. I’ve never even seen one of these up close and personal. I know little of them but it seems like a decent design from what I could tell. Do you adjust the angle/aggressiveness/width of the rake with a DA cylinder on each arm plumbed together? And one SA “lift circuit”. So would need two SCV?

#17 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3445 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:20 PM

There is a single long double acting cylinder on the frame that positions the wings. Both sides move in sync on linkages. Maximum raking width is 24’. The raking wheels are raised and lowered by double acting cylinders, one on each wing.

#18 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:24 PM

Thanks guys....

#19 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8659 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 22 January 2021 - 04:57 AM

I’d say around $4500 here anyway.

IIRC I pd around 8500 for mine but mine has seen a lot more use and in tougher shape.If I was to sell mine I’d value it at $3000

I bought a 1428 which is 3 times the rake at auction for 8900 a couple yrs ago.

#20 Tightwad

Tightwad

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 22 January 2021 - 01:37 PM

What you guys think it’s worth? He’s asking 7.5k but as with most all things in life.....long way away from me, but that ain’t never really stopped me :o the price seems about right if he has the center wheels and rake otherwise appears in decent shape......like I said, just puttin dead grass in a row.

If it was local and 12 months ago, I'd have been really interested if it were in the 5k range.  If you're serious about it, have him send some pics of where the teeth go through the outer hoops to show wear.

I spent 11.5k on a new 10 wheel NH this year, tried to buy a handful of them in the 5 year old range but they brought $8500-10500, depending on condition.  Used equipment is through the roof currently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors