Lease Agreement - The HayTalk Learning Center - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

Lease Agreement

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 HAYcorey

HAYcorey

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • LocationEvans, GA

Posted 20 January 2021 - 09:00 PM

Anyone have a lease agreement for hay land that you’re willing to share?

#2 broadriverhay

broadriverhay

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1004 posts
  • LocationJenkinsville , SC

Posted 21 January 2021 - 06:10 AM

Yeah , it's called a deed . Just buy the land!!

#3 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8677 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 21 January 2021 - 06:29 AM

Anyone have a lease agreement for hay land that you’re willing to share?

There isn’t a one size fits all lease.Could be cash or shares.Some even buy back a share of the hay for market value.It’s different in different parts of the country.Big difference in what a person calls hay ground also.Here it has to compete with corn.

• r82230 likes this

#4 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10016 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 21 January 2021 - 06:30 AM

Mine is simple and straight to the point....lists the term (1,3,5 yrs) the amount per year, any concerns and responsibilities (taxes, land use, etc) length of notification of cancellation. Really simple to cover my posterior....

#5 HAYcorey

HAYcorey

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • LocationEvans, GA

Posted 21 January 2021 - 08:17 AM

#6 HAYcorey

HAYcorey

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • LocationEvans, GA

Posted 21 January 2021 - 08:19 AM

If I could find your Bitcoin password you were looking for last week 😂
  • JD3430 and broadriverhay like this

#7 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3982 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 21 January 2021 - 08:33 AM

Mine is simple and straight to the point....lists the term (1,3,5 yrs) the amount per year, any concerns and responsibilities (taxes, land use, etc) length of notification of cancellation. Really simple to cover my posterior....

+1, unfortunately mine land rent agreement is verbal (not even a handshake, loooonnnng time neighbor). 

Or you could get an attorney involved, end up with several trees worth of paper, that no one could read/understand. :o   Oh,  almost forgot your pocket book most likely will be lighter, too.

Larry

• PaulN likes this

#8 PaulN

PaulN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 298 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, MN

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:34 PM

Matthew 5:37  But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

Unfortunately, it doesn't always work out that well for everyone. I'm happy to say that in my case it has. I rent hay ground from 2 neighbors, both on verbal agreements. One neighboring farm is going on 31 years, same owner. The other one is also around 30 years, but is now on the third owner. I am very fortunate to have never had any disputes.

• swmnhay, JD3430 and r82230 like this

#9 danwi

danwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 438 posts
  • Locationwi

Posted 21 January 2021 - 01:15 PM

List acres , amount per acre, when payment or payments are due, length of time one calendar year or Dec 31, multiple years, hay only or row crops. Now this is getting out there  but can you hunt it or does the owner hunt it. Then it can get really detailed such as fertility, fence line maintenance, paths and driveways. Better to have something in writing if you are dealing with someone from the city that just bought the land or if family is involved or in case the owner passes away.   

• somedevildawg likes this

#10 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4344 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:41 PM

You have a good point And I have rented over the years both ways. I ran into farm for just shy of 40 years. The owner would call me every 2 months. He lived 800 miles away and had only set foot on the property 3 or 4 times in that 40 years And that was a handshake deal.... I read it a large piece of ground from the local municipality And the lease was close to 40 pages, Did outlined everything including all farming practices, It required no till and cover crops. It did everything details on when and how soil samples were to be taken when and how fertilizer was to be applied. Where to exit each field and where to enter each field... The rules were not that restrictive that I could not farm it profitably, Even though it was very detailed it was more of a common sense type thing , Just to keep A neglectful or sloppy operator in check and yet many were scared of it. So I agree detailed lease is good...
  • Trillium Farm likes this

#11 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4344 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 22 January 2021 - 05:26 AM

acretrader.com
  • JD3430 likes this

#12 Ray 54

Ray 54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationPaso Robles Ca

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:16 AM

If you cannot write it yourself and both sign it. More so you remember what all you agreed to after you had time to forget, its not worth doing.

My grandfather leased 320 acres in 1929, I am still grazing it today. One grandson of the owner farmed it in 47 or 48 after he was out of the army from WW2. He made way less than having a job in town, my dad got the lease back. My dad retired from farming to only running cows in 74. The owner (a different grandson) ran his cows on it. In 1978 he asked me to farm it and financed seed and fertilizer for me. Price of barley and weather made me decide in 2016 I did not want to farm anymore. Been pasturing it ever since. Nothing in writing in my time other than a few hand written lines to keep government happy with crop subsites from the old days of acreage controls and now crop insurance.

A billionaire has been buying the neighborhood since about 2014. Started in almonds and pistachios a 100 miles away mid 90's. Has better than 120,000 acres of them. Started here for the wine business. Bought a 320 beside the one my family has been renting since 29. I have farmed 21 acres of hay on it for 40 years the same type lease as the other. I figured I was done on the 21 this summer when hay was off. Grapes for wine are in over production so no planting of grapes. Manager comes to me would I rent for $1 a year so they don't have to mower weeds.  :huh: The trick is 12 page lease I cannot understand. I cannot use well water off property( there never has been any irrigation of Feld crops here, just drip on grapes), no new weeds and on and on. They keep removing pages as I ask but, but how far out do I want my neck. Oh the mister big is a lawyer before he became the big time farmer  Stewart Resnick. Also the king of selling irrigation water to LA.  So fun being the little fish with the sharks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors