time to replace the 848...but what to get? - Page 2 - Machinery - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 2

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

time to replace the 848...but what to get?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Beav

Beav

• Members
  • 668 posts
  • Locationlockport il

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:45 AM

had a 644 silage special used it for 15 years and then traded it. Baled with a AC 185 75 HP and a Case CX80 with no problems on our rolling ground. Look at tractorhouse for pricing most in the 5 to 10K range. 

#22 pettibone

pettibone

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • Locationwestern maine

Posted 23 January 2021 - 07:53 AM

What model JD rd baler were you attempting to bale with?? Was hay higher than 17% moisture?

Since 1987 I've stopped/started my JD rd balers with a partial & full bale inside many times with no problems. I only bale hay under 16% moisture.  I've also rd baled with my JD 467 MWPU baler on near level ground with my 64 pto HP Kubota M7040 with no power problems when my regular baling tractor AC was inoperable. I make 5.5' diameter bales. I'm thankful there are no sledge rollers/brgs/gears to fail on a JD rd baler.

As it says I had a 330 with a silage kit and it did fine with wet hay as long as you were very careful starting the bale and made sure you didn't get too close to edge of the windrow, either one would cause a plug and usually not a 2 minute job to clear. Also if grass was short would be very hard to finish a bale without it stopping. It would make a good bale if you could finish it. And yes was high moisture.

#23 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4386 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 23 January 2021 - 09:22 AM

Sorry my lack of reading comprehension failed to see you previously posted your JD baler # model. I have no experience with that model nor have I baled any high moisture bales. I agree clearing a plugged baler isn't a nice task & I guess would be worse the higher the hay moisture %.

#24 pettibone

pettibone

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • Locationwestern maine

Posted 25 January 2021 - 08:07 AM

Used to get inbetween one of the rolls and a scraper, it was nasty to get  cleared. I might have to worry about sledge roll bearings and gears as I am now, not having any idea how many bales or hours on them, but usually can get hay baled with no issue.

• r82230 likes this

#25 Orchard

Orchard

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 09:51 PM

Alla, you did not really specify a budget for your baler that is why you are getting replies all over the board.  You did disclose the BR series of New Holland balers were out of your price range.  I suggest you keep an eye out for the Vermeer 5400 or 5410 balers that are 4x5's and twine or net wrap.  Good, dependable, relatively simple balers that can be had for $10K or less generally.  But the best part of all.....can be run with your 65HP tractor.

#26 acarpenter

acarpenter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 09 February 2021 - 09:50 AM

I grew up with a NH 847 round baler, but bought a 644 a few years back for around $6k when I started up my own farm. I always pulled the 847 with a JD 2355 (55 PTO HP) and never felt short of power (of course this was 20 years ago!). I run the 644 with either a JD 4020 or JD 5100E (both around 85 - 90 PTO HP). Neither tractor is ever pushed for power - shear pin will pop on the baler before that happens, but you can tell there is some weight back there when on some hills. As noted above, I think your 65 HP tractor will probably be OK with a 640/644/648 baler, especially if you are weighted up good or don't have any hills.

Mine is just a dry hay Auto-wrap baler and I think this was a very good upgrade for me from how I remembered the old 847 work. The 644 certainly makes better looking bales and is faster, but it still has the same simple wrapping mechanism concept that NH has used for 40+ years. I'm looking at netwrap balers now & thinking about holding onto the 644 as a backup for when/if I have issues with the wrapping mechanisms!

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors