31 replies to this topic

#1 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3981 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:36 PM

Read this on NAT, don't know for certain the validity of the post.  But I will say this: HayWilson is one of the biggest reasons I lurked for many years & finally joined the HT community.  He has not posted for a long time I do believe. 

https://talk.newagta...sts=23#M8748716

If I'm out of line with this post go ahead and take needed action. 

Larry

• HayMike, somedevildawg, stack em up and 5 others like this

#2 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:18 PM

Prayers.....he has impacted many around the globe. Like many, I have benefited from his sacrifices and teachings....
  • stack em up, RockyHill, Tx Jim and 2 others like this

#3 stack em up

stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 3053 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:55 PM

Saw that on NAT as well. As I recall he had a stroke some years back? I’ve read a lot of his stuff over the years. Prayers to him and his family.
  • RockyHill and r82230 like this

#4 weatherman

weatherman

• Members
  • 480 posts
  • LocationMiami County Ohio

Posted 14 January 2021 - 10:51 AM

Prayers for Mr. Wilson...may his legacy live on.

#5 hayray

hayray

Hay Master

• Members
  • 548 posts
  • LocationSoutheast (Brighton), Michigan

Posted 17 January 2021 - 08:09 AM

Wow thanks for posting you know I always wondered what happened to him also I hadn’t seen a post of his probably in three or four years or more

#6 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8662 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 17 January 2021 - 08:43 AM

Didn’t his daughter post on his condition a few years back?

#7 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15647 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 17 January 2021 - 09:41 AM

Pretty sure Dr. Vincent Haby posted about Bill's stroke a few of years ago and his daughter may have too.....I just can't remember. I also remember reading that Bill had sold his ranch.

Regards, Mike 

#8 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 18 January 2021 - 06:19 AM

I do believe you’re correct Mike.....that’s what I recollect as well.

#9 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3449 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 18 January 2021 - 04:09 PM

Saw on agtalk that Bill Wilson passed away yesterday. My condolences to the family. I will always have a debt of knowledge to him as I learned some of the fundamentals of hay making from him on this site.
  • JD3430 likes this

#10 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15647 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 18 January 2021 - 04:35 PM

Condolences to Bill WIison's family.

It wasn't that many years ago when Bill made a presentation at the American Forage and Grassland Council. I remember how much he was looking forward to delivering his research and presentation to the AFGC.

Regards, Mike

• weatherman likes this

#11 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 18 January 2021 - 07:18 PM

Condolences to his family and Gratitude to Mr. Bill Wilson for his service to this country and to the forage industry. I certainly hold dear the many tips he has shared along my way to making hay....his knowledge and teachings will continue for some time. Like many before him from that generation, a truly remarkable man.
RIP and thanks for sharing your wisdom with us.....
  • DSLinc1017, endrow, Bgriffin856 and 2 others like this

#12 RockyHill

RockyHill

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1045 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Kentucky

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:57 PM

Our sympathy to Mr. Bill Wilson's family and friends.  He was appreciated very much for sharing his knowledge.

Shelia & Jeff

• endrow likes this

#13 hayray

hayray

Hay Master

• Members
  • 548 posts
  • LocationSoutheast (Brighton), Michigan

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:53 AM

It would be nice to have somebody find his obituary and post it I never knew anything about his history except what he posted on here that would be interesting to read
  • somedevildawg and RockyHill like this

#14 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3981 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 19 January 2021 - 09:45 AM

What you may or may not know about HayWilson (William Wilson).  He was a crew man on a B-52 in the early 60's that almost had a terrible mishap.  The article inadvertently states that in 2012 there was only one still living survivor of the crash (guess they couldn't find William, who was flying under the name HayWilson then :o ). 

http://warbirdsnews....-holocaust.html

Larry

PS I still have a copy/paste of a fair amount of his wisdom that I re-read every year before hay season.  God speed Bill. 

• hayray, DSLinc1017, somedevildawg and 3 others like this

#15 reede

reede

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • LocationLaurens, SC

Posted 19 January 2021 - 10:13 AM

HayWilson had a huge impact on my haymaking processes.  2016 was a transition year for me, and the first time I was able to fully put the concepts that he talked about to the test, as I was back on the farm full time.  So that spring, it was my first cutting of sericea lespedeza, and we had unseasonably non-humid conditions(Piedmont region of SC).  The only time that the humidity go up high enough to bale was at 7am.  This was the first week of May, and I was out at the field waiting on the tractor as the sun was coming up to bale.  It had me scared to death, you don't do that in SC, and certainly not that early in the season.  But, it was the best looking hay that I had ever made.  

Now, my haymaking crops all include legumes, either sericea lespedeza or alfalfa in a grass/alfalfa mix.  And what I learned from HayWilson has done wonders to being able to keep the leaves on those leafy legume hays.  The concept gets applied rather differently to those two plants, but it still works, all the same.  I for one am very, very thankful that I crossed paths with Bill, and for his willingness to share his experiences.  

• Troy Farmer, Tx Jim, r82230 and 1 other like this

#16 Uphayman

Uphayman

• Members
  • 519 posts
  • LocationUpper michigan

Posted 19 January 2021 - 07:15 PM

A mentor is defined as someone who imparts wisdom to and shares knowledge with a less experienced colleague; a trusted counselor or guide.

Rest In Peace Mr. Wilson. Thank you for the legacy you have left.
  • DSLinc1017, somedevildawg, gosh and 1 other like this

#17 SVFHAY

SVFHAY

• Members
  • 1329 posts
  • LocationWestern Pa.

Posted 20 January 2021 - 08:05 AM

Rest peacefully faithful servant, you will be missed, certainly not forgotten
  • DSLinc1017, somedevildawg and Tx Jim like this

#18 cjsr8595

cjsr8595

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • LocationSouthern Indiana

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:40 AM

I'll pray for him and his family.  I didn't know the man but I've read a ton of information that he provided over the years.  His hay evaporation chart is a staple to my operation.  Be safe everyone, live each day to the fullest!

• Vol and somedevildawg like this

#19 vhaby

vhaby

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1041 posts
  • LocationNE of Tyler, TX

Posted 23 January 2021 - 12:13 AM

Mr. Bill Wilson was unique in that he was growing alfalfa in the Little River Academy area, an area largely devoid of this forage. The knowledge that he imparted to Hay Talk is invaluable. I wish that moderators could encapsulate all his posts into one Thread and make them easily available for our occasional review.

My wife and I hosted Bill at our home for a presentation on making quality hay sponsored by the East Texas Farm and Ranch Club in 2011 or 2012. The catered event was well attended, but unfortunately the weather cut short the event with only a part of Bill's talk presented. He was a guest in our home that night, part of which we spent in the storm shelter as a tornado past within a couple of miles from our ranch. I still use the hygrometer he recommended to determine baling starting time.

I attempted to locate Bill's obituary in a Temple, TX news paper, but was not allowed to read it without a subscription. Our prayers go with Bill as he enters the next life. We miss him and will not forget what he has done for all of us on HT.

Vincent

• hayray, Vol, DSLinc1017 and 4 others like this

#20 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8662 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 23 January 2021 - 12:40 AM

https://www.tributea...-Richard-Wilson

• weatherman, Vol, DSLinc1017 and 6 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic