• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 09 January 2021 - 08:30 PM

Just wanted to update those producers in the south that may have problems with Italian ryegrass in Bermuda grass hayfields.....Rezilon is lights out for IR. Not a speck of it in my fields that are usually covered in new growth about now....if it’s as good at crabgrass as it is on IR it’s darn sure worth it.....i will be spraying in Feb/March for crabgrass control.
  • Vol, Troy Farmer, stack em up and 2 others like this

#2 broadriverhay

broadriverhay

• Members
  • 970 posts
  • LocationJenkinsville , SC

Posted 09 January 2021 - 08:33 PM

Same results for me . Not a sign of any green in my field.
  • Vol likes this

#3 JOR Farm

JOR Farm

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Alabama

Posted 09 January 2021 - 09:53 PM

Same here too. Absolutely no ryegrass
  • Vol likes this

#4 nate123

nate123

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNavasota TX

Posted 11 January 2021 - 11:14 AM

Is it available for purchase?  Had training on it from Producers Coop (part of Private Pesticide Applicators continuing ed) in Bryan TX in early December, but they didn't have it available yet.

#5 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 11 January 2021 - 05:17 PM

Is it available for purchase?  Had training on it from Producers Coop (part of Private Pesticide Applicators continuing ed) in Bryan TX in early December, but they didn't have it available yet.

Some states have not approved it yet.....I think Florida is suppose to make available this year, not sure about Tx.....have to ask your co-op about that.

#6 gradyjohn

gradyjohn

• Members
  • 836 posts
  • LocationWhitesboro, TX

Posted 12 January 2021 - 01:14 AM

Some states have not approved it yet.....I think Florida is suppose to make available this year, not sure about Tx.....have to ask your co-op about that.

Its OK in Texas

• somedevildawg likes this

#7 nhbaler282

nhbaler282

• Members
  • 264 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 12 January 2021 - 06:07 PM

Thanks for the update and keep us updated I am going to use it here on my Bermuda grass cause the crab grass was worse this year I have been told about 28’00 a acre for the chemical is that about right?

#8 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 12 January 2021 - 07:24 PM

Thanks for the update and keep us updated I am going to use it here on my Bermuda grass cause the crab grass was worse this year I have been told about 28’00 a acre for the chemical is that about right?

That sounds about right, just depends on your supplier......pricey for sure.

#9 vhaby

vhaby

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1041 posts
  • LocationNE of Tyler, TX

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:45 PM

Just wanted to update those producers in the south that may have problems with Italian ryegrass in Bermuda grass hayfields.....Rezilon is lights out for IR. Not a speck of it in my fields that are usually covered in new growth about now....if it’s as good at crabgrass as it is on IR it’s darn sure worth it.....i will be spraying in Feb/March for crabgrass control.

Dawg,

Thanks for the update/s. I have not read the label, but recently heard that it is recommended to not plant anything from seed for up to 22 months after spraying Rezilon. If that is true you may not need to spray again for crabgrass control in late winter. I don't want to be spreading false information. What have you or anyone heard/read about this?

Vincent

#10 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 15 January 2021 - 06:18 AM

That appears to be correct.....won’t be planting any cereal grains for winter production whilst using Rezilon for sure.....idk how effective it is once you get past 6 months but my hope is to extinguish the seed bank for crabgrass, that may not be possible. But according to their plantback restrictions, it may be possible to skip a year and still achieve results. Idk, time will tell I suppose. I have a two year plan....

On another note, we received some information on Bill Wilson that he was not in good health....do you know anything with regards to updates?

#11 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4301 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 15 January 2021 - 02:48 PM

I would never spray anything that would have a FULL 2 year plant back restrictions . But if you are spraying on your land ok ,but on rented land No Way

#12 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 15 January 2021 - 04:23 PM

It’s a little different on Bermuda Grass.....it’s a fairly expensive process to establish a field, it’s usually marginal land to begin with, and a well maintained field will persist for well over 30 yrs, so most folks don’t rotate anything but a few of us do plant winter grains.
  • Troy Farmer likes this

#13 broadriverhay

broadriverhay

• Members
  • 970 posts
  • LocationJenkinsville , SC

Posted 15 January 2021 - 06:42 PM

@ vhaby, I wondered about that too. If it gives 22 months plant interval why spray twice a year. I’m sure weedman will gives us an explanation. He is our all knowing on Rezilon!!!

#14 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4301 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 16 January 2021 - 06:10 AM

It’s a little different on Bermuda Grass.....it’s a fairly expensive process to establish a field, it’s usually marginal land to begin with, and a well maintained field will persist for well over 30 yrs, so most folks don’t rotate anything but a few of us do plant winter grains.

That's  correct there is a place for this herbicide to be used , but the majority of the farmers that read these posts will not want to use this herbicide ever on there land , and i get concerned that there would be a misunderstanding.  

#15 HAYcorey

HAYcorey

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationEvans, GA

Posted 16 January 2021 - 08:19 PM

Same here.  My field is clean as a whistle. Nothing green. Hope the Bermuda greens up this spring :D . Valentines day is not too far off and it won't be long before time to spray.

• somedevildawg, endrow and broadriverhay like this

#16 Stxpecans123

Stxpecans123

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 January 2021 - 09:35 AM

I have been using rezalon for years under the name avalon. It's the same product but labeled for fruit/nut tree orchards.

Just an FYI to anyone using it, it works really well, so we'll from my experiance that 16 months later it kept ryegrass from germinating, wasn't a bad thing for me but I noticed it. I spray it down my tree rows in my pecan orchard. I tryed it on some end rows in some coastal that was there and it worked awesome with 2% roundup I had in the tank from spraying the orchard. But 16 months later it kept ryegrass from coming up there. Maybe 20% of it came up. So just somthing to keep in the back of your mind. I think it says like 2 years before you can plant a crop on the label.
Also, I wasn't trying to kill the coastal and I knew 2% roundup wasn't going to do anything more than set it back a week. But I killed everything in that coastal and there was not a weed to be found. The coastal there thickens up like I had never seen before in that spot. This was about 2 years ago. I regret doing it there as I always has a good stand of bluebells in that area now not a one. I am curious to see if I get any this year. I think rezalon and chateau are game changers for hayfields.

Also I think the label says it needs a rain within 21 days, I have found anything past 10 or 14 it doesn't work as well. But still better than most anything else on the market.

I also think avalon for orchards allows an ounce an acre or more an acre as compaired to rezilon rate? Can't remember off the top of my head as I have not compaired those labels for a good while now.

After rereading my post I realized it's not called avalon but alion. Lol avalon is a new pecan variety released.
  • somedevildawg and Troy Farmer like this

#17 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 18 February 2021 - 08:16 AM

So, additional updates.....
I have had, in the last couple of weeks, IR that seems to be evading control.....not a whole lot, but it’s there. We have been abnormally wet and that may have contributed....I’m going to tank mix Glysophate at 1qt per acre with surfactant (could probably get away with 2-4d if not for the IR....) and see how that does, the IR is only a couple of inches tall now, Bermuda still dormant.....
Even with the return of IR my fields are much cleaner and it’s easy to tell just how crappy your sprayer operator is :o so I’ll clean them up with Gly and tank mix those fields that I’m spraying for crabgrass control.....I’ll have to assess next year whether to spray or not......its a pricey chemical that I think it will pay dividends, but for me, the jury is still out......
  • Vol, Troy Farmer and broadriverhay like this

#18 Stxpecans123

Stxpecans123

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 February 2021 - 07:31 PM

I will take some pictures of alion(same product) that was applied in herbicide strips in my or hard. It was put down stronger as alion label allows more per acre and I probably had quite a bit of overlap. Coastal was not touched by it. But man almost 19 months later very clean. No winter weed germinated this year and it was sprayer in July 2019. Amazing product.
  • Troy Farmer likes this

#19 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 18 February 2021 - 09:07 PM

I will take some pictures of alion(same product) that was applied in herbicide strips in my or hard. It was put down stronger as alion label allows more per acre and I probably had quite a bit of overlap. Coastal was not touched by it. But man almost 19 months later very clean. No winter weed germinated this year and it was sprayer in July 2019. Amazing product.

At what rate?

#20 clowers

clowers

• Members
  • 425 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 22 February 2021 - 12:37 AM

My sprayer is calibrated and checked, I will put rezilon out this week.   I will verify that it is pricy, but if it works, i will be happy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors