15 replies to this topic

#1 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8677 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 09 January 2021 - 07:37 AM

I put a dry applicator on my baler this yr and used Culbac Hay Treatment.Very satisfied with it.I used it even when way over moisture guidelines.I doubled the rate when it was over 22% and baled some that was in low 30%.I did this even though the co didn’t recommend it but had talked to a few guys that Had with good luck.I checked every few days and the hay did not heat even stuff that was 35%.I left hay in field and gapped the bales to get plenty air and they did dry out.They did shrink about 300 lbs a bale and a little flat on the bottom but not as flat as I’ve seen when bales that wet have heated and carmelized.

Sure nice handling a dry product compared to liquid.

I was skeptical but sold on it now.Not recommending baling 30% hay with it but it worked for me.Quite a bit cheaper then acid also.

another tool in tool box to beat the rain!

I do sell it and was skeptical about recommending it but now after using it a year I’m pretty sold on it.

• Vol, carcajou, somedevildawg and 3 others like this

#2 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2030 posts
  • LocationNorthwest PA. Warren County.

Posted 09 January 2021 - 07:49 AM

I put a dry applicator on my baler this yr and used Culbac Hay Treatment.Very satisfied with it.I used it even when way over moisture guidelines.I doubled the rate when it was over 22% and baled some that was in low 30%.I did this even though the co didn’t recommend it but had talked to a few guys that Had with good luck.I checked every few days and the hay did not heat even stuff that was 35%.I left hay in field and gapped the bales to get plenty air and they did dry out.They did shrink about 300 lbs a bale and a little flat on the bottom but not as flat as I’ve seen when bales that wet have heated and carmelized.

Sure nice handling a dry product compared to liquid.

I was skeptical but sold on it now.Not recommending baling 30% hay with it but it worked for me.Quite a bit cheaper then acid also.

another tool in tool box to beat the rain!

I do sell it and was skeptical about recommending it but now after using it a year I’m pretty sold on it.

I sent the company an inquiry for a local dealer. Anybody use it that used agri-king in the past? Curious if much of a price difference.

#3 paoutdoorsman

paoutdoorsman

Hay Something

• Members
  • 1409 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 09 January 2021 - 07:55 AM

Cy, does Culbac operate in the same way as Silo-King?

#4 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8677 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 09 January 2021 - 09:27 AM

Cy, does Culbac operate in the same way as Silo-King?

Culbac® Hay preservative offers a great way for producers to ensure that they capitalize on the increasing value of dry baled forage. Culbac® Hay is a Lactobacillus Acidophilus fermentation product that promotes the growth of beneficial bacteria. These beneficial bacteria counteract the harmful effects of organisms that cause baled hay to mold and spoil when baled at higher moisture than is recommended for stored hay. Baling at higher moisture reduces leaf shatter and allows you to harvest greener, more palatable forage. Additionally, applying Culbac® Hay during mowing begins preserving forage immediately and offers a measure of windrow protection against unexpected rain showers.

Treating hay with Culbac…

• Maximizes the nutrient content (protein) of hay by reducing excessive leaf shatter.
  • Increases yield (tonnage) by reducing field and harvesting losses.
  • Reduces the number of days between cutting and baling.
  • Increases palatability of the hay. 

I believe they both use Lactobacillus Acidophilus but say they have other proprietary ingredients 

#5 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8677 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 09 January 2021 - 01:30 PM

I sent the company an inquiry for a local dealer. Anybody use it that used agri-king in the past? Curious if much of a price difference.

Full rate is around $2 a ton.I run double rate if it gets above 22%

#6 danwi

danwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 441 posts
  • Locationwi

Posted 09 January 2021 - 01:50 PM

I always wonder about dry products going on in the baler and if they are staying with the hay, We used dry years ago on silage applied at the blower so you know it got mixed with the feed and ended up in the silo. That is the one thing about liquid sprayed on the hay you felt like it was staying with the hay. I think the companies like to use the 25% as a way to cover themselves if something does go bad even if guys have some luck going beyond that recommendation. 

• r82230 likes this

#7 PaulN

PaulN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, MN

Posted 09 January 2021 - 03:07 PM

When I bought my round baler, it came with a Gandy applicator. I thought it was odd that the previous owner let the applicator go with the baler, but then I found out why. Whatever he was using was corrosive. The Gandy unit was seized tight. The preservative granules must have been falling on the net wrap knife, because that was rusty also. 

I got the Gandy unit rebuilt and I always wanted to try it, but I'm reluctant, because of what happened before. Can I assume that since Culbac is a bacteria product, it has no corrosive effects ?

• Vol likes this

#8 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15732 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 09 January 2021 - 04:44 PM

Can I assume that since Culbac is a bacteria product, it has no corrosive effects ?

That is the big drawback on most of these preservatives that work really well...corrosion or the potential to corrode and the potential for serious eye injury. I use Hayguard and it works so well that I tolerate the blistering and corrosiveness to have a product that I absolutely know will take care of my hay, allow a much wider baling window, and keep my storage facilities safe. But If I had my druthers, I would prefer a product that was not corrosive and with a much lower handling risk.

Regards, Mike

• r82230 likes this

#9 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2030 posts
  • LocationNorthwest PA. Warren County.

Posted 09 January 2021 - 05:35 PM

When I bought my round baler, it came with a Gandy applicator. I thought it was odd that the previous owner let the applicator go with the baler, but then I found out why. Whatever he was using was corrosive. The Gandy unit was seized tight. The preservative granules must have been falling on the net wrap knife, because that was rusty also.
I got the Gandy unit rebuilt and I always wanted to try it, but I'm reluctant, because of what happened before. Can I assume that since Culbac is a bacteria product, it has no corrosive effects ?

I use silo king. It’s a dry product and feel it works good. It’s not corrosive to the baler.

#10 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8677 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 09 January 2021 - 06:03 PM

Can I assume that since Culbac is a bacteria product, it has no corrosive effects ?

No corrosion on the baler.

• r82230 likes this

#11 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15732 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 10 January 2021 - 05:49 PM

What kind of dry applicator do you use Cy, and tells us a little about the routine you go thru with the applicators operation. 

Regards, Mike

#12 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8677 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 11 January 2021 - 10:17 AM

What kind of dry applicator do you use Cy, and tells us a little about the routine you go thru with the applicators operation. 

Regards, Mike

I have a powder master on my baler.Nice applicator that I can set from cab.Bice but kinda spendy

http://www.selmechsu...applicator.html

We started handling Gandy applicators,quite a bit cheaper but have to set on the box.

#13 carcajou

carcajou

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1848 posts
  • LocationALBERTA

Posted 11 January 2021 - 10:10 PM

Cy   Do you think it would work on under 16% round hay bales to prevent white mold on the outside of  wrapped bales?   

#14 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8677 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 11 January 2021 - 10:33 PM

Cy   Do you think it would work on under 16% round hay bales to prevent white mold on the outside of  wrapped bales?   

It probably would as it uses up the ozygen,no ozygen no mold.

ive Heard of guys spraying outside of bale just before wrapping but don’t know how well that worked.Using liquid.prop

• carcajou likes this

#15 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3982 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 12 January 2021 - 09:51 AM

How soon do you wrap the under 16% RB? 

I'm new to wrapping this year and haven't got to my experiments yet.  I baled 15 bales wrapped 5 bales right after baling, 5 bales 10 days after baling and the last after 3 weeks.  Hoping the sweat process was done on the last 5 bales.  The last 10 bales were stored inside, before wrapping, BTW.  I haven't got to where I've opened these bales yet.

Larry

#16 carcajou

carcajou

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1848 posts
  • LocationALBERTA

Posted 12 January 2021 - 11:51 AM

How soon do you wrap the under 16% RB? 

I'm new to wrapping this year and haven't got to my experiments yet.  I baled 15 bales wrapped 5 bales right after baling, 5 bales 10 days after baling and the last after 3 weeks.  Hoping the sweat process was done on the last 5 bales.  The last 10 bales were stored inside, before wrapping, BTW.  I haven't got to where I've opened these bales yet.

Larry

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule there when it comes to timing.  How well the hay is cured, humidity after baling, the initial sweat,  additional rain on the bales after baling etc all come into play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors