Remote Dog Training Collar - General Ranching - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo

Remote Dog Training Collar

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vhaby

vhaby

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1039 posts
  • LocationNE of Tyler, TX

Posted 08 January 2021 - 01:42 AM

I reviewed the cow dog thread where training collars were mentioned but no one mentioned the type of training collar they used. We have two 5/8ths border collie x black mouth cur, year old puppies that love to work cows, but are quite head strong and need training. These dogs can't stand to see a cow away from the main herd. They will gang up on her and harass her until she rejoins the group. Unfortunately, these two dogs work from the front of cows and very often hinder movement of the cow in the direction I want her to go.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable and reasonable priced training collar. I think I need a dual collar system and would like for the transmissions to reach at least 500 yards. Greater distance would be okay, and maybe a light on each collar for following the dogs at night, but not necessary.

Vincent

#2 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15579 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 08 January 2021 - 05:45 AM

https://www.gundogsu...e-2015-dvd.html  (10 minute video)

https://www.gundogsu...st-sellers.html

Regards, Mike

• vhaby and r82230 like this

#3 Trillium Farm

Trillium Farm

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1014 posts
  • LocationDurham Region/Southern Ontario

Posted 08 January 2021 - 09:29 AM

I reviewed the cow dog thread where training collars were mentioned but no one mentioned the type of training collar they used. We have two 5/8ths border collie x black mouth cur, year old puppies that love to work cows, but are quite head strong and need training. These dogs can't stand to see a cow away from the main herd. They will gang up on her and harass her until she rejoins the group. Unfortunately, these two dogs work from the front of cows and very often hinder movement of the cow in the direction I want her to go.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable and reasonable priced training collar. I think I need a dual collar system and would like for the transmissions to reach at least 500 yards. Greater distance would be okay, and maybe a light on each collar for following the dogs at night, but not necessary.

Vincent

Those that you call training collars are really "Deterrent" collars, they work in some instances, but in your situation you are always going to lose as you're fighting genetics. As far as I can see it you have only 2 choices, send them to be trained by a qualified border-collie instructor or change breed. Good instructors don't use electric shocks to train, fear is a poor teacher in this instance.

• vhaby and SCtrailrider like this

#4 SCtrailrider

SCtrailrider

• Members
  • 923 posts
  • Locationupstate South Carolina

Posted 09 January 2021 - 08:17 AM

I agree with the above, find a true trainer, the dogs won't know why they are being shocked, they need to be thought the correct way...

• Trillium Farm likes this

#5 Edd in KY

Edd in KY

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationKentucky Bluegrass horse capitol.

Posted 09 January 2021 - 11:15 AM

I trained bird dogs for 30 years and made many Champions. I have watched a lot of novice trainers ruin good dogs by not understanding how to use a collar or losing their temper. Unless you can think like a dog ( and very few people can) you will likely ruin the dogs before they learn anything.

#6 vhaby

vhaby

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1039 posts
  • LocationNE of Tyler, TX

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:47 PM

Thanks for this input. These dogs are brother and sister. The female is much easier to call off unnecessary harassment of a cow and calf than is the male that is very hard headed. This unnecessary harassment is what I'd like to break these dogs from doing.

I have second thoughts about using a training collar after an incident that happened this past Monday. After ear tagging a two-day old calf that really didn't like the process, it got up and began running for the forest followed by its mother. The calf went through the forest and didn't stop at the fence. Luckily I saw it for an instant at the edge of the woods along a pipeline right of way, about 300 yards into the neighbors property. Both dogs went with me on foot to try to retrieve the calf, but on my approach, it ran off into the thick brush and out of sight. The dogs trailed it toward my fence, and on finding it, barked to alert me of its whereabouts. On arrival to the site, I found that the dogs had run the calf back through the fence onto my property, and they were quietly baying the now tuckered out calf just inside my fence. I realize these dogs have a lot of natural cow working instinct, and yes, I don't want to ruin them, so will continue working with them with voice commands to get them trained. There are times when I wonder if I'm the one needing training.

• Vol, IH 1586, Trillium Farm and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors