• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4241 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 29 December 2020 - 08:59 PM

My wife pays some bills online  most by mail and prides herself on always being on time with payment . I guess most people think we would be foolish to depend  on the USPS Mail .We have been greeting late notices on bills the mail is so slow in this area takes sometimes more than 16 days to get an invoice from a company just 60 miles away . Our mail man comes when he pleases sometimes every day and other times every 3 days . The week of xmas only 2 deliveries and the second one was 7:30PM Sunday Night . at the local post office they tell the people first it was the elections now the  holidays.Are we foolish or old fashioned to think you should be able to depend on the mail  .    

#2 haybaler101

haybaler101

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2169 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, Indiana

Posted 29 December 2020 - 09:27 PM

Yep, had about $200,000 floating around for 2 weeks in that mess before Christmas.

#3 stack em up

stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 3030 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 29 December 2020 - 09:52 PM

Ours is quite slow as well. Takes 3 days to get across town as it has to go to the Cities for sorting. We have been paying most of our stuff online last year or so.

#4 JD3430

JD3430

GREETINGS KOMMRADE

• Members
  • 10971 posts
  • LocationBANANA REPUBLIC of America

Posted 29 December 2020 - 10:01 PM

Customer 10 miles away mailed me a large check on 11/29. Arrived in my box 12/18. Postmarked 11/30.  :rolleyes:
Got a late notice from CNH on a payment. Took 3 weeks to go 20 miles. 

#5 FCF

FCF

• Members
  • 511 posts
  • LocationCampbellsville, Kentucky

Posted 29 December 2020 - 10:19 PM

Made a check to a local business on 3/23 and mailed it instead of delivering in person as I normally do, because of Covid. Got notices of no payment received and they were gracious in not charging late fees. Finally decided to cancel payment on first check and paid in person on 6/15. About 2 days later they got the original check, post office told them there were several bags of mail that had been setting in a corner unnoticed. Still have Christmas items ordered the first couple of days in December, shipped on the 4th, came into Louisville (less than 90 miles away), then sent to Tennessee and have been there since the 17th.

#6 PaMike

PaMike

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2399 posts
  • LocationLancaster County PA

Posted 29 December 2020 - 10:36 PM

The government can screw anything up... the PA government WILL screw it up...my buddy hauls newspapers into the Harrisburg pa mail distribution center. Truckers were waiting 12 to 13 hours to unload. USPS had to pay more in retention pay than they actually paid for the trucking. All the truckers had to wait in a long line and inch front everytime another truck went to a dock. 12 hours in line and you couldn't sleep or you wouldn't be able to inch forward and then you would loose your space in line. Trucks with e logs had to drop trailers and have another tractor come and hook to trailer because they had to go out of service due to hours in service..it was crazy..they wouldn't even make a list with trucks and phone numbers and call u when they were ready...u just had to wait in line...

#7 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15571 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 30 December 2020 - 05:34 AM

The Post Office in Atlanta, GA is awful. Noticed back in the summer that if something was routed through them it could take weeks for it to leave. It seems as if the workers there have gotten a very bad attitude towards their job and people. The best thing for we the people to do is use the PO as an absolute last resort. Then if their work load greatly decreases there will have to be a downsizing. 

Regards, Mike

• Troy Farmer likes this

#8 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8622 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 30 December 2020 - 06:39 AM

Seems like some of the package shipping is getting terrible also.I had a gift box of Buffalo meat sent to me from Rapid City,400 miles.It took 5 days to get here and was 3/4 thawed out when it got here.Box was lined in styrofoam and I’m sure be fine for a typical 1-2 days it should of took.

Nieghbor mailed me a check that lives 2 miles away a month ago,it never has shown up.He had a $200,000 cattle check mailed to him that took 3 weeks to receive.

I was one for liking to write out a checkand mailing it.Paying more and more online.

• HayMike likes this

#9 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9912 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 30 December 2020 - 06:45 AM

USPS...I hate to get started. They are a disaster...have been for a while. Don’t know why they have to be in the package delivery business against private companies....I see it as a real conflict. And now amazon has cleverly used this money losing, taxpayer backed entity to deliver their goods exclusively on sundays. We should do away with the postal system for anything other than envelopes.

#10 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8622 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 30 December 2020 - 08:05 AM

USPS...I hate to get started. They are a disaster...have been for a while. Don’t know why they have to be in the package delivery business against private companies....I see it as a real conflict. And now amazon has cleverly used this money losing, taxpayer backed entity to deliver their goods exclusively on sundays. We should do away with the postal system for anything other than envelopes.

I should of said the meat was shipped via Fed Ex,was surprised it took that long threw them.

#11 Uphayman

Uphayman

• Members
  • 502 posts
  • LocationUpper michigan

Posted 30 December 2020 - 08:18 AM

The government can't deliver a letter..........and now they're going to deliver "our vaccine"???????
  • Vol, DSLinc1017, Troy Farmer and 1 other like this

#12 Troy Farmer

Troy Farmer

• Members
  • 588 posts
  • LocationUpstate SC

Posted 30 December 2020 - 08:20 AM

I think it is very telling of the times we live in.  Mail delivery was more reliable when delivered on horseback than with all our modern methods.

• DSLinc1017 and endrow like this

#13 Troy Farmer

Troy Farmer

• Members
  • 588 posts
  • LocationUpstate SC

Posted 30 December 2020 - 08:22 AM

The Post Office in Atlanta, GA is awful. Noticed back in the summer that if something was routed through them it could take weeks for it to leave. It seems as if the workers there have gotten a very bad attitude towards their job and people. The best thing for we the people to do is use the PO as an absolute last resort. Then if their work load greatly decreases there will have to be a downsizing. 

Regards, Mike

I am a regular victim of Atlanta distribution. 

#14 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3900 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 30 December 2020 - 08:55 AM

My business associate sent two boxes that had Christmas presents inside to her daughter in SD the first of December. 

The smaller box that was heavier, got delivered in 5 days.  While the larger/lighter box was still setting in the Detroit distribution center.  It took almost 3 weeks to make the same trip, I told her maybe because it was a larger package, no one wanted to lift it and hurt themselves.   ;)

It seems (at least here) since the PO went to the much larger regional 'distribution center' model, mail has really sloooooooooooooowed down.  Along with the last mile delivery system for UPS/Fed Ex (those two company's really out smarted the PO on that model it seems too).

Larry

#15 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 5531 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 30 December 2020 - 09:29 AM

Not sure about there but COVID home shopping has something like quadrupled package volumes here. The UPS guy at work was telling us they were under huge pressure to take as much overtime as possible. Bunch of new guys hired but everyone too busy to train them. They were sub contracting rural delivery work to what look to be unemployed people in their personal cars.

#16 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8622 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 30 December 2020 - 11:01 AM

Not sure about there but COVID home shopping has something like quadrupled package volumes here. The UPS guy at work was telling us they were under huge pressure to take as much overtime as possible. Bunch of new guys hired but everyone too busy to train them. They were sub contracting rural delivery work to what look to be unemployed people in their personal cars.

Have a friend thats retired that started sub contracting out to ups.Gets .55-,58???? a mile plus over $20 a hr.Forget exactly but he is liking it.

• mlappin and Vol like this

#17 Aaroncboo

Aaroncboo

• Members
  • 694 posts
  • LocationHomer Glenn ILL

Posted 30 December 2020 - 11:42 AM

I live in a fairly populated area as most of you probably already know. The Amazon workers are delivering in their own personal vehicles and in Enterprise or rental Max trucks

#18 RockmartGA

RockmartGA

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1192 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Georgia

Posted 30 December 2020 - 03:23 PM

Yep.  I can order something from Amazon and it gets shipped across country faster than the post office can deliver my water bill remittance in the same town.  Fact is, the post office, as with most government entities, have become little more than affirmative action centers for ineptitude.  

• mlappin, Vol, somedevildawg and 1 other like this

#19 PaulN

PaulN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, MN

Posted 30 December 2020 - 03:52 PM

Just wait until the Federal Government has full control of our healthcare. What a mess that will be.

• swmnhay, mlappin, Vol and 2 others like this

#20 CowboyRam

CowboyRam

An ounce of doing is worth a pound of talk

• Members
  • 1075 posts
  • LocationRiverton, WY

Posted 30 December 2020 - 04:37 PM

The more things change, the more they stay the same.  Way back in the mid 80's when I was in college I had my parents send me something from home, and it took a whole month to go from Craig Colorado to Fort Collins Colorado.  I think a lot of the problem is that because of the unions they can't fire bad employees.  

• somedevildawg likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors