Hay Cradle vs. Hay Ring? - Page 2 - Alfalfa/Hay - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 2

Photo
- - - - -

Hay Cradle vs. Hay Ring?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 cjsr8595

cjsr8595

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • LocationSouthern Indiana

Posted 30 December 2020 - 02:02 PM

I feed out of a bunk style in a barn and there is very little waste. 

I also free choice in the pasture on both an old wagon with no deck-just the runners and a cradle feeder.  I always see a cow up in the craddle crapping on good hay, not a big fan of a cradle.  My wagon set up seems to waste less hay as they can't stand in it, they have to eat and it falls down as they eat.  Just my 2 cents.  Never tried a cone feeder.  

#22 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4301 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 01 January 2021 - 06:43 AM

We put 4x5 round bales in the neighbors feeders for his beef cows .At one time he bought a cradle feeder . Just imagine yourself putting a bale in one of those cradle feeders with a bale that does not want to  slides off the spears.   

• IH 1586 likes this

#23 chevytaHOE5674

chevytaHOE5674

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 368 posts
  • LocationOntonagon, Mi

Posted 02 January 2021 - 08:49 AM

I have a few cone style feeders that I use when I have just a few cows to feed in a lot (wintering bulls, retained heifers, etc). There is very little waste with the cone style and they are super heavy duty. I've bought 3 of them over the years and figure they paid for themselves in saved hay within 2 years over a normal ring.

The main herd gets hay unrolled on pasture to eliminate any sort of manure handling.

#24 DaveCampbell

DaveCampbell

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 January 2021 - 07:33 AM

Hay Ring...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors